Everything except the pc..

Budget (including currency): 🤷£800? Perhaps more

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games

Other details: don't actually need the PC yet..

Soo for a little bit of background I've been gaming with just a laptop for several years now 😵 (gtx 980m so not that bad), but I've just moved house and actually have an office with space for a pc again 🥳. With all the new fancy graphics cards coming out near the end of the year that's when I'm going to get a new rig..

However in the meantime I need to get everything else e.g. desk, chair, keyboard, headphones, (already got a mouse), random little desk cactus ect. I'm not 100% sure on what my build will be yet but I'm not expecting a multi monitor setup, probably just a 32" screen, and a smallish pc build on the desk, so will need a biggish desk. My thoughts so far are as follows:

Desk:

Ikea IDÅSEN 160x80 cm

It's big and desky so should work fine? 🤷

Chair:

No idea, was going to get a nice IKEA one but the stores near me are out of stock.

Mouse:

Currently got a razor mouse that works fine so will stick with that for now

Keyboard:

??? Something well made, clicky? Tempted by a razor huntsman just so that it'll match my mouse with RGB fancyness.

Headphones:

I've heard good things about the new Razer BlackShark V2 so might as well stick with the razor theme.

Mouse mat:

Not sure, what are your thoughts on the massive ones? Awesome comfyness or a pain  to keep clean?

Anything else?

I'm bound to be forgetting loads of stuff, if you know anything cool that a desk needs to have let me know. Fancy rgb 🤔

Any and all suggestions you can make are welcome :D

4 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

Budget (including currency): 🤷£800? Perhaps more

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games

Other details: don't actually need the PC yet..

Soo for a little bit of background I've been gaming with just a laptop for several years now 😵 (gtx 980m so not that bad), but I've just moved house and actually have an office with space for a pc again 🥳. With all the new fancy graphics cards coming out near the end of the year that's when I'm going to get a new rig..

However in the meantime I need to get everything else e.g. desk, chair, keyboard, headphones, (already got a mouse), random little desk cactus ect. I'm not 100% sure on what my build will be yet but I'm not expecting a multi monitor setup, probably just a 32" screen, and a smallish pc build on the desk, so will need a biggish desk. My thoughts so far are as follows:

Desk:

Ikea IDÅSEN 160x80 cm

Chair:

No idea, was going to get a nice IKEA one but the stores near me are out of stock.

Mouse:

Currently got a razor mouse that works fine so will stick with that for now

Keyboard:

??? Something well made, clicky? Tempted by a razor huntsman just so that it'll match my mouse with RGB fancyness.

Headphones:

I've heard good things about the new Razer BlackShark V2 so might as well stick with the razor theme.

Mouse mat:

Not sure, what are your thoughts on the massage ones? Awesome comfyness or a pain  to keep clean?

Anything else?

I'm bound to be forgetting loads of stuff, if you know anything cool that a desk needs to have let me know. Fancy rgb,

Any and all suggestions you can make are welcome :D

so to be clear , you are willing to pay 800$ for the pc , i dont think any gpus coming out will support your budget unless amd releases a 5500 xt price equivalent card ....... 

$800 on the setup, without the PC?

how much are you spending on the PC? it would help to know to decide on monitor resolution and FPS to target

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Ohh £800+ on just the desk and stuff xD the PC will probably be £2-3k Ish as I'm planning on building a gaming rig for VR and stuff xD

I'm leaving the pc planning until later this year when the better hardware comes out, for now just a desk that I can plop my laptop on and then when I get it swap it out for the pc.

6 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

Ohh £800+ on just the desk and stuff xD the PC will probably be £2-3k Ish as I'm planning on building a gaming rig for VR and stuff xD

I'm leaving the pc planning until later this year when the better hardware comes out, for now just a desk that I can plop my laptop on and then when I get it swap it out for the pc.

and is the monitor included in the 800 euros?

Just now, alirafi321 said:

and is the monitor included in the 800 euros?

Nope :) just desk chair, keyboard, ect and tbh the 800 pounds is only vauge guess budget isn't a massive issue though I also don't need like a £600 chair or anything excessive

17 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

gotcha

28 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

Desk:

Ikea IDÅSEN 160x80 cm

Chair:

desk and chair is very subjective

for desk, i recommend measuring out the size available and guesstimate how much desk space you'll need (dual monitor setup? PC on desk or on floor?)

desk height also matters to achieve ergonomic sitting position, so you may look into ones with adjustable height

as for chair, give this a read

and this a watch

Spoiler

Keyboard:

this, again, is very subjective, clicky would be cherry mx blue switches, or equivalent

but i've heard people go against razer keyboard due to their pricing and quality

corsair keyboards have quality issues, 3 of my friends bought corsair KB, 3 of them have loose keycaps that either had their stems cracked or the cap would fly off when you bounce the key, i wouldnt buy it personally

heard good stuff about ducky though

before comitting to clicky switches though, consider trying other switches

i use mx blues and they're fun to type on, but a pain when you're using VC

Mouse mat:

Not sure, what are your thoughts on the massive ones? Awesome comfyness or a pain  to keep clean?

if your hands are as sweaty as mine, consider hard surface mouse mat

they're slippery compared to cloth mats, but definitely easier to clean

i use the logitech G440, i like it

edit: i misread, you didnt needed a monitor @~@

also welcome to the forums, remember to quote or mention the person replying so that they'll get a notification

like this @Shiny_Pup

34 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

What edition? Elite, tournament edition?

24 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

gotcha

desk and chair is very subjective

for desk, i recommend measuring out the size available and guesstimate how much desk space you'll need (dual monitor setup? PC on desk or on floor?)

desk height also matters to achieve ergonomic sitting position, so you may look into ones with adjustable height

as for chair, give this a read

and this a watch

Reveal hidden contents

this, again, is very subjective, clicky would be cherry mx blue switches, or equivalent

but i've heard people go against razer keyboard due to their pricing and quality

corsair keyboards have quality issues, 3 of my friends bought corsair KB, 3 of them have loose keycaps that either had their stems cracked or the cap would fly off when you bounce the key, i wouldnt buy it personally

heard good stuff about ducky though

before comitting to clicky switches though, consider trying other switches

i use mx blues and they're fun to type on, but a pain when you're using VC

if your hands are as sweaty as mine, consider hard surface mouse mat

they're slippery compared to cloth mats, but definitely easier to clean

i use the logitech G440, i like it

edit: i misread, you didnt needed a monitor @~@

also welcome to the forums, remember to quote or mention the person replying so that they'll get a notification

like this @Shiny_Pup

Thanks @Moonzy (yay I'm learning).

With the current pandemic it makes it very difficult to go into shops to try out desks and chairs and stuff :(

That being said the IKEA one I listed is big (160x80cm) so definitely big enough for a pc on the desk and a big monitor. I'm not 100% what pc setup I'll have but I'm expecting a single big curved screen (perhaps odyssey g7) and a smallish pc on the desk, leaning towards micro atx but I'll review my options later in the year. Either way that desk is a honking great big chunk of wood so should be fine, it's also height adjustable :)

Chair is a hard one, only place I was able to try was IKEA and every one that was nice is out of stock indefinitely 🤦 unfortunately that doesn't leave many options, and definitely no try before I buy ones. Are there any "gaming chairs" that are worth the price or am I best just sticking with generic office chairs?

keyboard is also going to be a pain as I have absolutely no way to try before I buy, before the pandemic the UK had pretty much gone online only for "enthusiast" stuff and the pandemic has only made that worse. That being said

I have had a good bit of razor stuff over the years and *so far* I've been lucky with the quality. I may just have to yolo it 🤦 however am open to suggestions for any models that are reliable :)

ooo the logitech G440 looks nice *adds to list*.

1 hour ago, gloop said:

What edition? Elite, tournament edition?

@gloop probably elite, I like my numpad plus the wristpad looks comfy.

6 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

That being said the IKEA one I listed is big (160x80cm) so definitely big enough for a pc on the desk and a big monitor.

yea 160 x 80 is enough for a pc on a desk and a ultrawide

im using a desk that's about the same size and fits 2 monitors with some room to spare

it should be a fine choice, just make sure your space actually fits it because it's honking huge

9 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

Are there any "gaming chairs" that are worth the price or am I best just sticking with generic office chairs?

mmm not too familiar with chair to comment on this tbh

but havent seen any gaming chair being recommended for being a good value

17 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

I have absolutely no way to try before I buy

they do sell sample switches, maybe you can get one of those

19 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

ooo the logitech G440 looks nice *adds to list*.

it is easy to clean as i said, but people say it's too slippery, hard to control their mouse

so... yea, it's another subjective thing lmfao

23 minutes ago, Shiny_Pup said:

@gloop probably elite, I like my numpad plus the wristpad looks comfy.

I’d highly suggest avoiding it. 

What’s your budget for the keyboard? Switch preference? You said you wanted a full-size one, but any other things you’d like in it?