Should I build now or wait?

Andrew D4

Hi, I just got quite a bit of money this summer from birthday, mowing lawns, etc. Im planning on doing a $1000ish build with the Ryzen 5 3600x and the 2060 super. I just saw that it was predicted that NVIDIA would be launching their 3000 series late august or September and AMD would be doing their 4000 series late fall. Also, the reason I am hoping to build one is because my current pc broke and is unfixable. Given all of that, what option would you guys recommend I do?

1) I buy the parts now and just build it (back to gaming straight away)

2) Wait for both launches and buy the same parts at hopefully a cheap price

3) Wait for the launches and buy the new parts

^Whatever pc I build I am planning on keeping it for around 3 years if that makes a difference. I could up my budget a little bit also. Finally, thanks for reading this!

The Nvidia cards are going to be announced in 2 weeks, so it would be good to wait for that, unless you absolutely need a system you can get a cheap GPU as a placeholder.

I wouldn't wait for the AMD launch, since we don't have any definite details except that it's this year, and it's a 7nm refresh so it won't be as big a jump like from zen+ to zen 2.

Personally I would wait, September 1st is announcement day for Nvidia. I bet both the new GPUs(for sure will be) and CPUs will be out by the end October early November. Right now is literally the worst time to buy components, not only do you have the new ones dropping within a month or two but you also have limited stock and raised prices on a lot of components right now due to limited manufacturing caused by the global pandemic. If you can wait please wait, if you can't we can make you a build list. 

P.S. If you do build now just buy the regular 3600, you're literally paying extra just for the letter X in the name on the 3600X, you can easily overclock the 3600 to match the 3600X without paying more...

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Wait for sure.

Both Nvidia and AMD are releasing new parts very soon and you might get "Christmas specials" any day now as well.

10 minutes ago, Andrew D4 said:

2060 super. I just saw that it was predicted that NVIDIA would be launching their 3000 series late august or September and AMD w

how long can you wait?

overpriced rtx 3090, 3080, in 1st month, then 3070 in later month, , finally 3060 shall be in dec or next year

YET PRICE IS UNKOWN, you think they will be cheap? its nvidia

5 minutes ago, Andrew D4 said:

Hi, I just got quite a bit of money this summer from birthday, mowing lawns, etc. Im planning on doing a $1000ish build with the Ryzen 5 3600x and the 2060 super. I just saw that it was predicted that NVIDIA would be launching their 3000 series late august or September and AMD would be doing their 4000 series late fall. Also, the reason I am hoping to build one is because my current pc broke and is unfixable. Given all of that, what option would you guys recommend I do?

1) I buy the parts now and just build it (back to gaming straight away)

2) Wait for both launches and buy the same parts at hopefully a cheap price

3) Wait for the launches and buy the new parts

^Whatever pc I build I am planning on keeping it for around 3 years if that makes a difference. I could up my budget a little bit also. Finally, thanks for reading this!

1) how much is your time worth to you? i'd buy things over the next few weeks/months as deals come and go. black friday is a joke and you wouldnt wanna wait for that day to buy your components as theyll likely go on sale randomly for cheaper. 

2) with nvidia halting production of some of their lineup, previous experience with product launches, and the added supply chain issues with the whole pandemic going on, i'd expect prices on current gen components to stay the same at best, and theres a chance they'll go up for certain products like the 2070 super. for midrange to low end cards like the 2060 super it wont be affected by the initial launch which is almost guaranteed to be strictly the top end of the product stack. 

3) new parts will be OOS and price hiked hard. 10th gen intel is overall pretty eh, and the 10600k/10900k are still price hiked. zen 3 is way more hyped and highly anticipated, likely gonna be even worse. same with the new gpus, and calling back to 1 & 2, parts in your price range won't be available for months. if thats not a problem for you then sure, go ahead and wait. but if i were in your situation i'd get a 3600 (non x) with a placeholder gpu (1650 super/1660 super/5600xt). if a 2060 super would handle all the games you wanna play with some room for future releases then i'd just get what works and call it a day

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D