Robocopy in Windows 8

xTheOlahx

I have just recently got an SSD upgrading from an HDD. I wanted to keep all of my documents and such onto my HDD. I have been looking into doing the "Robocopy" If I were to move the whole users folder over to my HDD, would that slow down Windows operations as there would be certain files in the users folder that windows needs and would have to access from the hard drive?

Also what about moving the program files folder over? Any risks associated with that or the users folder? I would of coarse be doing all of this with a fresh install.

One thing I also wonder would this have any affect on Windows apps?

Did my best to try and explain what my question is.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have eveything installed on the SSD and want to move those folders to a mechanical drive? Why?? That would just slow the heck out of Windows. Plus, no, you cannot move them. Windows has tons of links to those folders. You could move your My Documents, My Music, etc. to a mechanical drive. That is just redirecting the folder... But not the entire Users folder and Program Files. That would break Windows.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

http://youtu.be/Unm3VMTMZu4

See that video about the robocopy of those folders on what I meant. It can be done but as for it slowing down my windows experience would my best bet be just moving my documents, music, pictures etc?

I don't know about windows 8 but I have successfully moved my users, program data, program files and program files(x86) to a second drive with the purpose of keeping my ssd os drive clean and from being written to too often. and set up junction points to divert anything from being installed to those directories which fill up quick. You would also have to do some reg edits. And I think it has to be done with a clean install before you create your users. but like I said it was done on W7. Didn't you comment on my post?

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

Yeah I did comment on your post. But how has your speeds been compared to having it all on the ssd if you have had it that way? Any slowdown with it being on the hard drive?

Yeah I did comment on your post. But how has your speeds been compared to having it all on the ssd if you have had it that way? Any slowdown with it being on the hard drive?
In terms of slowdown, I noticed a boot slowdown by 8 seconds after almost maxing out my mechanical and ssd. But that might be an issue of all the programs I probably have running at start up that are on the mech drive. I install the crucial programs on the SSD and anything else the mech.

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65