how many fans do i need???

sam_streetracer

Hi,

i recently got an i5 9th gen processor with and rtx 2070 msi armor with an ice 200tg case from ant esprorts. now the processor has already have an antec c400 air cooler for it. 

I am kind of struck at how many fans do i need. cause all i have is the air cooler and the rear fan that came with the case. and 2 standard fans that come with the GPU.

usually i use around 10 to 15 hours per day for mostly editing and gaming. in gaming my cpu temp maxed at 80'C under 64% load. and the GPU fans run 100% when there is usage of 75% of GPU.

how many fans do i need or is it better to go for an AIO cooler

Get a couple 120/140mm fans and run them as intakes in the front of the case. Arctic's P12/P14s are cheap and quite decent.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

There's no magic number. It depends on the case, what kind of airflow it has, what fan configurations it supports, etc. Even then, it's a personal choice. You're basically going to be balancing thermals with noise. You need to add enough to get the thermals where you want them, but adding more than that can allow you to run each fan slower, reducing noise levels. However, you can't just fill your case with fans and call it a day. You need to factor in the air flow of the case to achieve an optimal fan configuration.

Right now, you're running exhaust only, so even one intake fan would make a huge difference, providing fresh air into the case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

Get a couple 120/140mm fans and run them as intakes in the front of the case. Arctic's P12/P14s are cheap and quite decent.

thanks for the tip matey

50 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll the fans in the world. :P

this PC is 2 months old. 

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

There's no magic number. It depends on the case, what kind of airflow it has, what fan configurations it supports, etc. Even then, it's a personal choice. You're basically going to be balancing thermals with noise. You need to add enough to get the thermals where you want them, but adding more than that can allow you to run each fan slower, reducing noise levels. However, you can't just fill your case with fans and call it a day. You need to factor in the air flow of the case to achieve an optimal fan configuration.

Right now, you're running exhaust only, so even one intake fan would make a huge difference, providing fresh air into the case.

hi that for the tip dude. my case is a mid tower, it can fit a 240mm rad/ 3*120mm fans in the front and two 120mm fan in the top. what is was planning like to have front rad as an air intake and the top one as exhaust. like a balanced inflow and outflow

I'd go with the 3x120mm intake in the front. One extra exhaust in the top rear (leave front top open), and your existing back exhaust. You could leave the top exhaust out entirely, but you'd need to lessen the front fan count or lower the speeds, such that you achieve roughly neutral air pressure. You don't want it to be too positive or too negative, but it doesn't have to be 100% neutral. It's just three intake to one exhaust is really unbalanced.

It's best to leave the front top empty because that can interfere with your intake. As exhaust, you might be sucking the fresh air immediately back out the case, and as intake, you might create a vortex that similarly prevents the fresh air from reaching your components.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Also, make sure you at least have the tower OFF THE FLOOR!!!!

Yeah it may be the coldest air in the room, but it is a good dust collector!

Believe me, I have the pics to prove it!!

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 10:54 PM, Jason 57 said:

sure dude. i actually used these mental shelf constructor tools to place my pc so i dont need to keep it on the floor. it is around 1.5 feet off the floor

but yeah y room collects so much dust due to open windows, so i have to clean it 3 months once

On 8/14/2020 at 10:54 PM, Jason 57 said:

hey jason i look for 120mm fans, but the prices were too hefty, i couldn't get artic fans in my place. its not availabe in here. some good fans i could get were thermaltake and crosair only in my area. so i ordered an AIO cooler and three thermaltake pure 12 ARGB fans. for AIO i went with MSI coreliquid 240mm. is that good. i am not able to find any review which could give a clear cut picture of it

1 hour ago, sam_streetracer said:

hey jason i look for 120mm fans, but the prices were too hefty, i couldn't get artic fans in my place. its not availabe in here. some good fans i could get were thermaltake and crosair only in my area. so i ordered an AIO cooler and three thermaltake pure 12 ARGB fans. for AIO i went with MSI coreliquid 240mm. is that good. i am not able to find any review which could give a clear cut picture of it

I personally haven't seen anything on the MSI Coreliquid AIO. I did a quick Google search and found the 240R on Amazon. It's wierd that they moved the pump to be IN the radiator. If you have already purchased this AIO, I would make sure you mount the radiator lower (probably in the front of the case) than the cold plate (which mounts on the CPU) with the tubes on the bottom (if they reach).

UGH, with the pump being in the radiator, my mechanical brain is going nuts!!

No matter what, follow the instruction manual for how best to mount it. If you heard noise coming from the radiator area, that is pump cavitation. You want to make sure that the pump is flooded as much as possible, that way it will flow the liquid inside the AIO as best as possible. 

You didn't mention what case you have. 

Good luck. And make sure to show pictured when you get it together. I would like to see what it looks like. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

hey thanks for the tip Jason,

what i worry is i have an ant esports ice 200tg  something, it is an entry level once sided tempered mid tower case, i was planning to take Thermaltake V200 rgb case because it came with front temper and three onboard fans so I didn't need to worry, but i blew out the budget on the GPU so i had to compromise to this entry level case. this is ant 200tg case is an mid tower case which can support only 240 mm in radiator in the front, and 3*120mm fans in from and two in the top and one 120mm radiator in the back.  i have also attached the pic of the PC, kindly ignore the horrible cables I have no place to cable manage it. 

Capture.JPG

On 8/23/2020 at 7:29 PM, Jason 57 said:

I personally haven't seen anything on the MSI Coreliquid AIO. I did a quick Google search and found the 240R on Amazon. It's wierd that they moved the pump to be IN the radiator. If you have already purchased this AIO, I would make sure you mount the radiator lower (probably in the front of the case) than the cold plate (which mounts on the CPU) with the tubes on the bottom (if they reach).

UGH, with the pump being in the radiator, my mechanical brain is going nuts!!

No matter what, follow the instruction manual for how best to mount it. If you heard noise coming from the radiator area, that is pump cavitation. You want to make sure that the pump is flooded as much as possible, that way it will flow the liquid inside the AIO as best as possible. 

You didn't mention what case you have. 

Good luck. And make sure to show pictured when you get it together. I would like to see what it looks like. 

Hey Jason,

The AIO arrived today i installed it, unfortunately mobo doesn't have ARGB 3 pin headers, only has RGB 4 pin header so i wasn't able to use the rgb in it. 

but apart from ARGB the cooler give a ultimate performance. at first I forgot to remove the plastic cover in the copper plate so was getting high temps and when i removed and checked again and removed the plastic cover and again installed it. the CPU is much cooler that expected I was expected around 18 to 10'c lesser, but look for yourself at the reduction in the temps. i have attached the pictures for you reference. I wasn't able to mount it with my gpu due to the limited space available in the case. moreover I tried to fix fan in front of the case mental thing in the front and radiator in back of the case mental thing, but screws were not long enough to hold it that way.

just look at that gap between aio and my GPU that is tight spot.

gap.JPG

installation1.JPG

mistake.JPG

package1.JPG

temp diff.JPG

Nice!!!

I am happy to hear it is working out for you!

Happy gaming!!

5 hours ago, sam_streetracer said:

Hey Jason,

The AIO arrived today i installed it, unfortunately mobo doesn't have ARGB 3 pin headers, only has RGB 4 pin header so i wasn't able to use the rgb in it. 

but apart from ARGB the cooler give a ultimate performance. at first I forgot to remove the plastic cover in the copper plate so was getting high temps and when i removed and checked again and removed the plastic cover and again installed it. the CPU is much cooler that expected I was expected around 18 to 10'c lesser, but look for yourself at the reduction in the temps. i have attached the pictures for you reference. I wasn't able to mount it with my gpu due to the limited space available in the case. moreover I tried to fix fan in front of the case mental thing in the front and radiator in back of the case mental thing, but screws were not long enough to hold it that way.

just look at that gap between aio and my GPU that is tight spot.

gap.JPG

installation1.JPG

mistake.JPG

package1.JPG

temp diff.JPG

Sweet rig.

That said, if you're going the AIO route, go all the way.  Watercool your GPU.  The radiator blocks the air that had cooled it off.  Make sure to get a good waterblock that keeps the VRAM chilled.  I'm not an AIO guy, so I can't tell you if you need another radiator for adequate cooling.  Experiment.  You could use liquid hydrogen on your CPU, but you can't get good gaming performance if your GPU is hot.