Any idea abt this boot order

I did a clean install of Pop OS today from Windows and this is how my boot options look like. I remember that there was only one boot option when there was windows. So this is what I've done so far...

1. Disabled Secure boot and installed pop from live usb.

2. After all the steps and when the prompt for reboot/shut down came, i pulled out the drive thinking that it may boot from the drive and will  start the installation again. (Guess this is the part that screwd up most of it.)

3. The screen suddenly became frozen and when tried to move around with trackpad, a black screen saying SQUASHFS error: unable to read page was seen. Within a few sec the whole screen was filled with that and it started scrolling so fast.

4. Felt like some infinite loop and there was no change after pressing the power button or even closing the laptop. The same scrolling loop was still there for ½hr and was able to get out after long pressing power button for couple of sec

5. On the next boot i got the pop os welcome screen and till now the os and I/O seems to be fine. But at every boot there's no pop os boot animation or anything... it's just black screen(backlight is on) for some time and the login page is shown.

6. When tried to enable secure boot in bios, 'Secure boot violation.. invalid signature' error is coming up..

So my question is ....is there anything wrong with that kinda boot order...and is it normal that there's no boot logo/animation...will it cause any other trouble with the hdd in the future... I've checked the harddrive with disk utility (SMART) and it says disk is OK.         

The reason for moving from windows is the monthly surprise crashes...hope to have something future proof.

IMG_20200813_181116.jpg

IMG_20200813_154350.jpg

Hi,

have you tried reinstalling popOS? If so, did the same thing happen again?

One possible explanation for the SQUASHFS error might be that you pulled the installation medium too early leading the system to look for something on it that it obviously could not find. I would suspect that it shouldn't be an issue moving on, though, as the installation process should have finished by the point you rebooted anyway. If you want to be 100% sure, just reinstall popOS.

If you choose to reinstall, wait for popOS to tell you that you can safely remove the installation medium after clicking the reboot option at the end of the installation (something like "Remove installation medium and press enter to reboot.").

As far as the boot order is concerned I don't see what should be wrong with it. As far as the boot logo is concerned I'd not worry if I didn't see it ;)

Hope that helps. Best regards,

Kon-Tiki

2 hours ago, rRandomsig said:

2. After all the steps and when the prompt for reboot/shut down came, i pulled out the drive thinking that it may boot from the drive and will  start the installation again. (Guess this is the part that screwd up most of it.)

3. The screen suddenly became frozen and when tried to move around with trackpad, a black screen saying SQUASHFS error: unable to read page was seen. Within a few sec the whole screen was filled with that and it started scrolling so fast.

That just means you pulled the install media out early and squashfs was still mounted. Given that you were ready to reboot, this is fine and wont cause any harm. When this happens, you just have to force a shutdown / restart.

5. On the next boot i got the pop os welcome screen and till now the os and I/O seems to be fine. But at every boot there's no pop os boot animation or anything... it's just black screen(backlight is on) for some time and the login page is shown.

I am not familiar with PopOS!, however this behavior is fairly normal on a lot of distributions. It just means that there is either no splash screen setup or it couldn't start a Graphical instance during boot.

6. When tried to enable secure boot in bios, 'Secure boot violation.. invalid signature' error is coming up..

This is normal behavior, it just means the boot loader isn't signed. You just need to leave Secure Boot Disabled.

So my question is ....is there anything wrong with that kinda boot order...and is it normal that there's no boot logo/animation...will it cause any other trouble with the hdd in the future

Its perfectly fine. You should see a Grub Boot Menu when you start up to switch between Linux and Windows. Otherwise you can select which device to boot from your BIOS boot menu.

6 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

That just means you pulled the install media out early and squashfs was still mounted. Given that you were ready to reboot, this is fine and wont cause any harm. When this happens, you just have to force a shutdown / restart.

I am not familiar with PopOS!, however this behavior is fairly normal on a lot of distributions. It just means that there is either no splash screen setup or it couldn't start a Graphical instance during boot.

This is normal behavior, it just means the boot loader isn't signed. You just need to leave Secure Boot Disabled.

Its perfectly fine. You should see a Grub Boot Menu when you start up to switch between Linux and Windows. Otherwise you can select which device to boot from your BIOS boot menu.

So does the two boot media related to pop os ? ..the 'uefi os'  drive is the one that confuses me... Is there any other partition created on the drive ?

8 hours ago, rRandomsig said:

So does the two boot media related to pop os ? ..the 'uefi os'  drive is the one that confuses me... Is there any other partition created on the drive ?

It often happens that when you install an OS it writes a boot menu entry to the BIOS/ UEFI which remains there until you reset it. I guess the second "UEFI OS" entry is from your previous windows installation. On my test system which I frequently install new OSs to I have a multitude of boot options for various operating systems that don't exist any more. It's nothing to worry about and you can safely ignore it.