Trying to "force" the Solved Button

JayBe

Hello Guys,

When People ask Questions throughout almost every topic, they have the ability to mark an answer and therefore their post as "solved" making it easier for people stumbling upon this post to realize, that it already has been answered and that they dont need to bother checking for it. 
But i feel like people are not using that. I stumble upon many posts that i think i can answer just to realize that it already has been answered, resulting in me being upset.

so i have the following suggestion:

Make a way for people to remind them of marking it as solved. Just some ideas:
1. New Members should get a message here and there a couple of hours/days after creating their first few posts to remind them of the function.

2. Automatically search for the word "Thanks" and if somebody thanks someone for answering their question, they should get a message a few minutes later saying that they might wanna mark this thread as solved (as long as it isnt marked already, hence the "few minuts" span).

3. Force marking a thread as solved when the thread hasnt been updated during a few days (maybe differentiate between green solved for manual solving and yellow solved for automatically solving). 

This would, imo, make it easier to just go into f.e. the GPU space and just scroll down to look for non-solved threads and answer them. Making it easier to help others and maybe dont leave a single thread unsolved.

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

This will work in the Troubleshooting sub-forum, but a lot of the other threads on the other subs are also discussions and not just a cry for help.  Unless the admins create sub-forums within Troubleshooting for CPU/GPU/Storage etc etc to reduce clutter, this probably won't work.  It's an idea I support however.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

This will work in the Troubleshooting sub-forum, but a lot of the other threads on the other subs are also discussions and not just a cry for help.  Unless the admins create sub-forums within Troubleshooting for CPU/GPU/Storage etc etc to reduce clutter, this probably won't work.  It's an idea I support however.

True that. Might need a little tweaking around the forums "infrastructure" but i think it would help many people, especially those whos threads get lost and unanswered. 

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

Pretty sure there is a bot on r/buildapc that does exactly this kinda thing. It has an array (or is it a string?) of words that it scans for and then it responds to the OP asking if the question was solved if a word matches. 

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement. 

Just now, gloop said:

Pretty sure there is a bit on r/buildapc that does exactly this kinda thing. It has an array (or is it a string?) of words that it scans for and then it responds to the OP asking if the question was solved if a word matches. 

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement. 

Yeah, thats where i got the second idea from. Not this r/ especially, but the r/windows10 has a bot answering you as soon as you write "thanks" explaining to you how you can solve the post as marked. And i found that to be helpful, cause i guess that most people, especially new members, dont know about the marking option in this forum. 

Automatically marking as solved isn't going to work, because a topic has to be solved by a specific post and there's no way to determine the post that should be considered the solution.

Some sort of automated prompting of the user to mark it as solved under some circumstances would be better, but that's not an easy UX problem (how to make it helpful and show up at the right times, without being annoying). It ties into my vision of making it easier for users to discover functionality, but it's not something that I've had much time to work on. Maybe one day, but not in the immediate future.

HTTP/2 203

5 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Automatically marking as solved isn't going to work, because a topic has to be solved by a specific post

Hm, haven't thought of that.. dayum. 

5 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

It ties into my vision of making it easier for users to discover functionality,

Well, as long as there is something spinning in the background, that's totally fine for me. 
I think this Forum has worked out pretty well and i love the functionality it gives people. Yet, most people don't know about them and thats sad. But if you guys are on it, thats great then! :)  

Thanks for the feedback tho.