Is this memory compatible with the ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard?

I was looking to get this memory:

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMT64GX4M2C3200C16

for this motherboard: ASUS AMD AM4 ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)

However, I can't find any information on whether or not said memory will be compatible with that motherboard. If it helps, the processor I'll be using is the 3950x.  Also, I have no interest in overclocking the memory (or anything, for that matter).  I'd like to run the ram at the stock 3200 speeds if possible.  I need the 64gb, and otherwise I just want quality, compatible memory, that's a decent speed.

I think the memory was released only a month or two ago (?), and isn't listed on the motherboard's memory QVL PDF. I also can't find the ram on PCPartPicker (maybe because it's so new?).  The same kit of memory is available in the 4 stick version (CMT64GX4M4C3200C16), and is on the QVL.

This is my first build in many years, and while the naive me would think the ram and motherboard would be compatible, I'm not sure how picky this motherboard/chipset is.  For example, I found this thread, and this one too.

I'm also open to other suggestions for memory -- I'm not necessary married to this kit.  Budget isn't really an issue here either (e.g. $400-500 is not entirely out of the question, if need be).

Thanks for any help!

No, Memory at stock speeds is 2133mhz. That's what it will post at.

You will be enabling an overclocking Via XMP/DOCP profiles.

That said, the more memory you have, the tougher it is for the memory controller to run the Memory's rated speed of XMP profile. 

This build sounds work station oriented. Most workstations and servers don't run higher frequency memory. The redundancy is at lower speeds.

So you sacrifice speed for quantity. 

1 stick OCs best. 

2 sticks dual channel good for system performance 16GB 2x8 Samsung B-die expensive kits = max performance in more cases with the least amount of trouble.

4 sticks 32GB 4x8 is just as tough or tougher to run than 2x16GB sticks 

And so forth....

You will still do some tweaking, even with the 3200XMP sticks even if they won't run that speed in this particular system, there's still some performance increase to be had over 2133mhz base frequency, often referred to as JEDEC speeds.

Latency will come from running tighter timings.

Bandwidth will come with frequency.

5 minutes ago, PeachDodo said:

I was looking to get this memory:

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMT64GX4M2C3200C16

for this motherboard: ASUS AMD AM4 ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)

However, I can't find any information on whether or not said memory will be compatible with that motherboard. If it helps, the processor I'll be using is the 3950x.  Also, I have no interest in overclocking the memory (or anything, for that matter).  I'd like to run the ram at the stock 3200 speeds if possible.  I need the 64gb, and otherwise I just want quality, compatible memory, that's a decent speed.

I think the memory was released only a month or two ago (?), and isn't listed on the motherboard's memory QVL PDF. I also can't find the ram on PCPartPicker (maybe because it's so new?).  The same kit of memory is available in the 4 stick version (CMT64GX4M4C3200C16), and is on the QVL.

This is my first build in many years, and while the naive me would think the ram and motherboard would be compatible, I'm not sure how picky this motherboard/chipset is.  For example, I found this thread, and this one too.

Thanks for any help!

Only one way to find out, chances are slim someone tried the combination as that board is intended for (extreme / ln2) overclocking.

"Likely" it will work, as 3200 on x570 and ryzen 3xxxx series is within jdec spec and thus not considered a overclock anymore.

9 minutes ago, PeachDodo said:

.  Also, I have no interest in overclocking the memory (or anything, for that matter)

So why pick the one of the most overclock oriented board on the market? (Maybe you just like the look?)

Might find this thread interesting (not so much the OP but the history and result of chosing the board, was warned beforehand its a OC board, and very surprisingly was disappointed after since he didnt need all that): 

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

So you sacrifice speed for quantity. 

1 stick OCs best. 

2 sticks dual channel good for system performance 16GB 2x8 Samsung B-die expensive kits = max performance in more cases with the least amount of trouble.

4 sticks 32GB 4x8 is just as tough or tougher to run than 2x16GB sticks 

And so forth....

You will still do some tweaking, even with the 3200XMP sticks even if they won't run that speed in this particular system, there's still some performance increase to be had over 2133mhz base frequency, often referred to as JEDEC speeds.

Really appreciate the additional info.  It's been a decade since I've built a new rig, so a lot of this is either new to me or I've forgotten a lot.  I guess I might as well be a novice at this point :P

Anyway, I do a good amount of 2D/3D work (lots of Autodesk and Adobe applications), but I do a bunch of gaming, too.  I'll make use of the 64gb for sure.

In the past, I've never overclocked (or had any reason to) and just set an XMP profile, for example, and was good to go.

For running with 64gb but with speeds beyond 2133mhz, is there an "easy" solution, or should I just get the ram and with tweaks, hope for the best?  A lot of this is uncharted territory for me, both since it's been so long and I've never had to do much tweaking.  If I can get a good combination of speed + capacity, that'd be great.

Sorry if that's not helpful, I'm just trying to be honest on where I'm coming from.  I really do appreciate your help.  I don't have a ton of time to research, but building a new rig will be really helpful for me (I'm running an i7-930 at the moment).

1 hour ago, Bartholomew said:

So why pick the one of the most overclock oriented board on the market? (Maybe you just like the look?)

Might find this thread interesting (not so much the OP but the history and result of chosing the board, was warned beforehand its a OC board, and very surprisingly was disappointed after since he didnt need all that): 

Great and legitimate question  :)  Honestly, I won't use a lot of what the board has to offer -- I know that going in.  I could for example get the MSI Tomahawk, but it's tough to find.  The Crosshair VIII Hero seemed good, even if overkill, and I'm guessing I won't make full use of the VRM, for example.  I'm looking for something reliable that won't need lots of tweaking, I suppose.  As noted above, there's a lot to consider when putting this build together, especially since it's been so long since I last built.  Luckily I'm not constrained by budget, and I'd still like the experience of building a new machine.

I used to keep up with hardware, but there's so much new stuff/tech these days that I'll admit a lot of it is new to me; so I apologize in advance if any of my responses are unhelpful.  I know that it's up to me to determine what to do and what to buy, but I know that many folks out there know a lot more about it than I do.  I was trying to reduce time spent troubleshooting a brand new build, for the most part.

3 hours ago, PeachDodo said:

For running with 64gb but with speeds beyond 2133mhz, is there an "easy" solution, or should I just get the ram and with tweaks, hope for the best?  A lot of this is uncharted territory for me, both since it's been so long and I've never had to do much tweaking.  If I can get a good combination of speed + capacity, that'd be great.

Essentially just enable XMP. It’s the easiest solution apart from manually overclocking it, which I doubt you want to get into as it is a long process. 

16 hours ago, gloop said:

Essentially just enable XMP. It’s the easiest solution apart from manually overclocking it, which I doubt you want to get into as it is a long process. 

Gotcha.  Possibly a silly question, but I could also get this G.Skill memory, which is a lot cheaper but I think the timings are slightly worse..?  Both are 3200.  I don't personally care about aesthetics, I'd prefer whichever performs better.  The price isn't a huge factor for me here -- I'm more concerned with compatibility (then again, $100 saved is still $100 saved :) )

Timing 16-18-18-38

FWIW, G.Skill lists the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero on the QVL for this ram, whereas Corsair doesn't really have a QVL list for their memory.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232952

Aforementioned Corsair:

Timing 16-18-18-36

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236659

I've seen lots of mention of B-Die, etc. but I'm less sure if that's something I should even be concerned with?

edit: There also exists a 3600 version of the Corsair memory, but it's a lot more expensive... guessing it's not worth price, though.

6 hours ago, PeachDodo said:

Thanks for any help!

Don't worry about the QVL lists. Worst case scenario you'll have to do some tinkering to get to the advertised speeds but that's it. 

But any reason to do with an overclock specific board? Because if you won't use ant of these features. This board is certainly not the best thing for you. 

2 minutes ago, PeachDodo said:

which is a lot cheaper but I think the timings are slightly worse..? 

For the most part the reason the Corsair kit is more expensive is because of branding.

Both will work just fine.  

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, PeachDodo said:

Both are 3200.  I don't personally care about aesthetics, I'd prefer whichever performs better.  The price isn't a huge factor for me here -- I'm more concerned with compatibility (then again, $100 saved is still $100 saved :) )

I wouldn’t pay $100 extra for a tiny timing reduction. The only way you’d notice id through benchmarks, it would be indistinguishable in the real world. 

15 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Don't worry about the QVL lists. Worst case scenario you'll have to do some tinkering to get to the advertised speeds but that's it. 

But any reason to do with an overclock specific board? Because if you won't use ant of these features. This board is certainly not the best thing for you. 

I think from reading posts online, I spooked myself into thinking that I'd run into issues between certain memory kits and certain x570 motherboards.  As mentioned earlier, a lot of the recent hardware is new to me (and this would be my first AMD build), so I guess I was trying to make sure I wasn't doing anything silly.

Re: the motherboard and overclocking -- it's a legitimate question, and I guess I don't have a great answer?  I've had good experience with Asus boards in the past (whatever that's worth), and something like the MSI x570 Tomahawk is kind of hard to find, for example.

I just wanted to get a reliable board with good support, and so I figured getting a upper-end board might not be a bad idea, even if it's more expensive.  I know that might be silly logic, I'm just not sure what else to go on other than I/O or VRM rankings, for example.  The Crosshair VIII Hero has good I/O, but as you point out, if I'm not overclocking I'm wasting potential, and money.

Aside from that, I can really only look at user recommendations, and I/O such as number of usb ports, wifi, etc.  I just don't want to get a board that gives me trouble... though I'm aware I may have made a bigger deal out of a simple situation.  Part of it is that it's been so long since I built, and there's a lot of new features/specs nowadays.

16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

For the most part the reason the Corsair kit is more expensive is because of branding.

Both will work just fine.  

6 minutes ago, gloop said:

I wouldn’t pay $100 extra for a tiny timing reduction. The only way you’d notice id through benchmarks, it would be indistinguishable in the real world. 

Thanks for the input!  That said, I'm glad I came across this G.Skill memory, as it's basically the same as the Corsair, but cheaper.

Should I be at all concerned with B-Die, or chip brand such as Hynix?  I see talk of this, but I'm not really sure how important this sort of thing is?

4 minutes ago, PeachDodo said:

the motherboard and overclocking -- it's a legitimate question, and I guess I don't have a great answer?

It's not a bad board it's just made for ln2 and heavy overclocking. And if you're not interested in that. It won't be a good board. 

4 minutes ago, PeachDodo said:

Part of it is that it's been so long since I built, and there's a lot of new features/specs nowadays.

Since you're powering a stock 3950x. 

A tomahawk is more then enough. Though I know you can't find it in stock.

An x570 aorus extreme is just as extreme or maybe even more extreme than the Asus board and is more friendly for casual users. 

As for b550 which you should still consider as they're more than enough. 

The tomahawk and the mortar and the aorus pro and the aorus master ( Overkill in almost every way) and the steel legend and the a pro  are all good and will do the job. 

As for x570 the aorus extreme as said above if you're going Overkill and the tomahawk and the tuf are more than enough. 

If you can find the aorus elite for under 200 bucks, it will be more than enough. 

But yes it's not like the Asus board is bad. It's just not the best for a causal user. 

1 minute ago, PeachDodo said:

Should I be at all concerned with B-Die, or chip brand such as Hynix?

Pretty much both the Corsair and the ripjaws kit uses hynix. Could be cjr/mjr or something else. 

B die is usually 16-16-16 or a 14-14-14. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Well I ordered one more kit of CL16 at 3200MHz 2x8GB DDR4,maybe I shouldn't do it,since I haven't tried to install both 3600MHz and 3200MHz and enable XMP to see what would happen.

What do you guys think what would happen to have installed 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 plus 2x8GB 3600MHz CL18.

Ofc I  could boot the system but I suppose I could get unusal problems like with 3600MHz modules which when I installed and enabled XMP,I couldn't manage 3D apps to work.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

What do you guys think what would happen to have installed 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 plus 2x8GB 3600MHz CL18.

They will both run at the lowest speed kit. 

16 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

An x570 aorus extreme is just as extreme or maybe even more extreme than the Asus board and is more friendly for casual users. 

16 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

But yes it's not like the Asus board is bad. It's just not the best for a causal user. 

When you say not as friendly, do you mean the BIOS, or the physical board itself (i.e. installing components), or something else?

Edit:  So that I don't overthink things, I've basically narrowed it down to getting an x570 board, either the Crosshair VIII Hero or the Aorus Master.  I've read lots of threads praising one or the other... they seem awfully similar, with slightly different I/O.  As you point out, either would be overkill for me.  I/O aside, is there anything else I should consider (or you'd recommend) before choosing one or the other?  They're within ~$20 of each other, so price isn't an issue.

the physical board itself

I mean the physical board it self. 

They're within ~$20 of each other, so price isn't an issue.

The master is good. 

Uses 12 sic634's iirc and is more than capable. 

You can go for it if you want/can't find anything else in stock. The board is really good. 

Build Log: