One Ethernet Port For Multiple Connections Using Switch?

PCFlegling

If I have one ethernet port, could I hypothetically get a switch which has one cord plugged in to the outlet jack and multiple ethernet switch ports going out to other computers or no? I know that for ethernet splitters you need to have 2 cables connected at one point where the router is but why is that? 

1 ethernet port on what?  It's hard to understand how your network diagram is looking like.  1 port from router to a switch, then the switch with multiple ethernet out?  Yea that's how a switch works mostly :P

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, Samfisher said:

1 ethernet port on what?  It's hard to understand how your network diagram is looking like.  1 port from router to a switch, then the switch with multiple ethernet out?  Yea that's how a switch works mostly :P

one ethernet port jack in the wall

Just now, PCFlegling said:

The ethernet port in the wall is probably connected to your router. 

You can connect a switch to this port and connect multiple pcs to the switch. 

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

5 minutes ago, PCFlegling said:

Yes, that's kinda what a switch is for.  Your switch should have a WAN port which is where the cable from the wall should go to.  Everything else goes in the other ports.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

How come you need two cables from the router to the splitter if you were to use a ethernet splitter but only one cord connected to the router when its with a switch. Isnt a splitter and a switch the same similar concept?

3 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Yes, that's kinda what a switch is for.  Your switch should have a WAN port which is where the cable from the wall should go to.  Everything else goes in the other ports.

A switch will not have a port labeled WAN. A router will.

On a switch, all ports will be the same.

3 hours ago, PCFlegling said:

How come you need two cables from the router to the splitter if you were to use a ethernet splitter but only one cord connected to the router when its with a switch. Isnt a splitter and a switch the same similar concept?

What do you mean when you say "splitter"? I got a feeling you're using the terms incorrectly.

Here is the difference, explained in terms that aren't 100% accurate but that should help you understand:

• Ethernet splitter - A device that splits one cable into two. This works because a cable used for 1Gbps has twice as many physical cables inside it as a 100Mbps connection needs. So an Ethernet splitter physically takes one 1Gbps cable, and converts it into two 100Mbps cables. This is in general terrible and should not be used if possible to avoid.

• Switch - A box that gives you more Ethernet ports. Got one port but you want 5? Then you plug in a switch.

• Router - Connects one network (like your home network) to another (like the Internet). Between you and the Internet there is a router somewhere. If not located in your home, then it's connected outside your home at your landlord or ISP or whatever.

If you got an Ethernet socket in your wall and want to connect more than 1 device to the network then I would recommend getting a router or a switch. A router will probably be your best bet since it can also provide you with WiFi and some other useful things (your own DHCP, isolation from the rest of the network, etc).