Thermal paste help

yessirski

I have a r5 3600 with stock cooler right now and I bought a 212 evo thats coming in a few days. I want to know if the thermal paste that comes with the 212 evo is good enough or I should get, lets say a mx-4. Will it help with temps? And also is the thermal paste in the evo considered a "generic" paste. Im planning to overclock my 3600 to at least 4 ghz or idk. 

It's prob not necessary, but for like 5 bucks on amazon, if your thinking about it, it can't hurt.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

If you plan to overclock I would go with something better than the Hyper 212. The paste it comes with is fine. Opting for MX-4 you'd be fighting over 2~3℃ less. If you want that though you can go that route.

On a single threaded workload the 3600 already boosts to 4.2GHz. I've also been told Ryzen is a little tough to overclock so I can't say how much over 4.2GHz you'll be able to achieve. @TofuHaroto should be able to provide better specifics.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If you plan to overclock I would go with something better than the Hyper 212. The paste it comes with is fine. Opting for MX-4 you'd be fighting over 2~3℃ less. If you want that though you can go that route.

On a single threaded workload the 3600 already boosts to 4.2GHz. I've also been told Ryzen is a little tough to overclock so I can't say how much over 4.2GHz you'll be able to achieve. @TofuHaroto should be able to provide better specifics.

I read somewhere that overclock doesnt matter in ryzen, u just have to keep them cool so they will boost higher

1 minute ago, yessirski said:

Not where i'm at, but I see your point.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

afaik the paste that comes with it is okay, 

10 hours ago, yessirski said:

lets say a mx-4. Will it help with temps?

well yea, it's a better thermal paste. but the paste that comes with the 212 should do the job. 

that overclock doesnt matter in ryzen,

that's because they don't have a big headroom for overclocking, enabling pbo will do the job. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

afaik the paste that comes with it is okay, 

well yea, it's a better thermal paste. but the paste that comes with the 212 should do the job. 

that's because they don't have a big headroom for overclocking, enabling pbo will do the job. 

I have PBO on auto does that count as on? Theres also a lot of options I cant remember like eco mode

PBO on auto does that count as on?

yep. just turn on pbo, and that should do the job. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

yep. just turn on pbo, and that should do the job. 

Im contemplating to use the stock thermal paste or this https://www.amazon.ca/Noctua-NT-H1-Pro-Grade-Thermal-Compound/dp/B002CQU14A/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=thermalright&qid=1596653352&s=electronics&sr=1-2  

because Im probably gonna use the thermal paste on a gpu also

Im contemplating to use the stock thermal paste or this

if you can afford it, and can get it, then do that, it'll be better, if you can't, the stock thermal paste will do the job. 

Build Log: 

29 minutes ago, yessirski said:

I read somewhere that overclock doesnt matter in ryzen, u just have to keep them cool so they will boost higher

I haven't read into Ryzen that far but if that's true the Hyper 212 isn't your best option. For the price-point it's a great cooler but there are other air coolers that will performance better at a lower dB for a chip like Ryzen.

This is just my opinion and some people won't agree but the Hyper 212 really isn't an ideal HEDT cooler when overclocking.

40 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I haven't read into Ryzen that far but if that's true the Hyper 212 isn't your best option. For the price-point it's a great cooler but there are other air coolers that will performance better at a lower dB for a chip like Ryzen.

This is just my opinion and some people won't agree but the Hyper 212 really isn't an ideal HEDT cooler when overclocking.

I dont really care about fan noise as long as temps are cool

Get Noctua H2. Its their latest paste.

As far as coolers go, get the best you can afford. I have a D15 on my 3600. Is it overkill? Yes. But I can keep noise down and never go over 65C while OC'd. It'll stay even cooler (and cooler than PBO) if I go with a 4.2ghz all core at 1.25V.

For overclocking, YMMV. There is a ton of conflicting information. If overclocking sounds fun and you'll enjoy the process, go for it. If it's a hassle, stick with PBO.

For an example, I get about 3600pts on cinebench r20 with PBO, and 4000pts with 4.4ghz all core. I haven't benched a lot of games, but if I had to generalize, i'd say I get 5-10% better fps at best with my OC.

4 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

Get Noctua H2. Its their latest paste.

As far as coolers go, get the best you can afford. I have a D15 on my 3600. Is it overkill? Yes. But I can keep noise down and never go over 65C while OC'd. It'll stay even cooler (and cooler than PBO) if I go with a 4.2ghz all core at 1.25V.

For overclocking, YMMV. There is a ton of conflicting information. If overclocking sounds fun and you'll enjoy the process, go for it. If it's a hassle, stick with PBO.

For an example, I get about 3600pts on cinebench r20 with PBO, and 4000pts with 4.4ghz all core. I haven't benched a lot of games, but if I had to generalize, i'd say I get 5-10% better fps at best with my OC.

Wow max I got was 351x something, I usually get 33xx-34xx before it thermal throttles

21 minutes ago, yessirski said:

Wow max I got was 351x something, I usually get 33xx-34xx before it thermal throttles

What clock speeds during cinebench? With PBO I get 4ghz all core.

I've found stock boosting behavior (for me anyway) seems to Target 85C or so before it cuts clocks down some. And, btw, the stock cooler hit about 85-87C for me when I used it before the am4 mount i bought was delivered. My case airflow is excellent, so i think that's about the best you can expect at 21C ambient.

What temps are you getting?

4 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

What clock speeds during cinebench? With PBO I get 4ghz all core.

I've found stock boosting behavior (for me anyway) seems to Target 85C or so before it cuts clocks down some. And, btw, the stock cooler hit about 85-87C for me when I used it before the am4 mount i bought was delivered. My case airflow is excellent, so i think that's about the best you can expect at 21C ambient.

What temps are you getting?

I have PBO on auto and everything stock, oc'd my ram to 3466 16-18-18-18-38. I also have the s340 (non-elite) with 2 front intakes and 2 exhaust. I hit max 95 on r20. Right now with about 18 chrome tabs open + discord+spotify etc. its fluctuating from 60-70

Do you have ryzen master or HWinfo? You can see what your actual clock speeds are.

You can try doing a negative voltage offset to help with temps. You can also try a manual OC. Like I said, I run cooler at 4.2ghz all core at 1.25Vcore than I do with PBO and it performs better.

5 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

Do you have ryzen master or HWinfo? You can see what your actual clock speeds are.

You can try doing a negative voltage offset to help with temps. You can also try a manual OC. Like I said, I run cooler at 4.2ghz all core at 1.25Vcore than I do with PBO and it performs better.

I'll see when I get my cooler this friday with the noctua nt-h1

On 8/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, Demonic Donut said:

I get around 71-73 c now with my 212 evo during r20, previously it was 93-95 lol. Its at stock with pbo enabled. peak speed is 4.04x ghz

On 8/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, Demonic Donut said:

I overclocked it at 4.2ghz all core, 1.25624v. And temps are lower with better scores in r20. 68-70c full load. doesnt go above 70. Wonder if I can overclock it more lol

18 hours ago, yessirski said:

I overclocked it at 4.2ghz all core, 1.25624v. And temps are lower with better scores in r20. 68-70c full load. doesnt go above 70. Wonder if I can overclock it more lol

It's a slippery slope. You can try to push clocks higher at the same voltage. Use a few different tests to make sure you are truly stable. Blender is a good all core load. You may find you can run higher clocks but not actually gain any performance increase. I noticed I was stable at 4.4ghz at 1.32V but I would get occasional weird stutters/glitches. Had to bump it up to 1.35V for smooth and stable operation.

I do recommend being careful with voltage. Especially if you do a lot of heavy all core work loads. Even 1.35v could degrade my chip at some point. Also be careful with LLC adjustments. A bit of voltage drop is good at load, too high of LLC makes the VRMs overshoot when the load goes away.

On 8/7/2020 at 11:11 AM, Demonic Donut said:

It's a slippery slope. You can try to push clocks higher at the same voltage. Use a few different tests to make sure you are truly stable. Blender is a good all core load. You may find you can run higher clocks but not actually gain any performance increase. I noticed I was stable at 4.4ghz at 1.32V but I would get occasional weird stutters/glitches. Had to bump it up to 1.35V for smooth and stable operation.

I do recommend being careful with voltage. Especially if you do a lot of heavy all core work loads. Even 1.35v could degrade my chip at some point. Also be careful with LLC adjustments. A bit of voltage drop is good at load, too high of LLC makes the VRMs overshoot when the load goes away.

Do you thing I should use LCC low or medium?