Graphics cards info?

DewisLavid

Hi, 

looking to upgrade to one of the RTX graphics cards but there are so many different variations of each card, I don’t want to spend a lot on a 2080ti when the 3000 series could be announced soon.

so i was wondering what these different terms for graphics cards like a Founders edition, a KO edition, OC pro edition and super.

are these just different names for different manufacturers or will it differentiate the performances? And I assume the super will always been the one with the better performance?

First off, 3000 series is expected to be announced next month so I would wait.

That said I’ll explain it as best as I can.

The biggest difference between all the graphics cards is the coolers they use. There is a post on this forum called the gpu tier list which ranks the coolers.
Most use the same pcb (which is what the actual gpu is, the graphics card is the entire thing) while some (like some oc and ko models) use a pcb that has a higher quality silicon. This allows them to get higher frequencies/be faster and also be a bit cooler.

The Founders edition is the card the Nvidia themselves makes. It uses the standard pcb and their cooler. For the other cards, you will see slight differences in speeds.
My advice is to pick one with a good cooler and good reviews.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

5 minutes ago, DewisLavid said:

so i was wondering what these different terms for graphics cards like a Founders edition, a KO edition, OC pro edition and super.

The "Super" is a different, faster version. So from top to bottom you have these chips:

2080 Ti

2080 Super

2070 Super

2060 Super

Everything else like Founders Edition (FE), KO, OC etc. are marketing names. Usually a suffix like "OC" means the card is a factory overclocked version of the respective chip. So a "2060 OC" is probably a bit faster than a "2060 FE". Usually you can achieve similar results by taking the cheaper card and overclocking it yourself.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

First off, 3000 series is expected to be announced next month so I would wait.

That said I’ll explain it as best as I can.

The biggest difference between all the graphics cards is the coolers they use. There is a post on this forum called the gpu tier list which ranks the coolers.
Most use the same pcb (which is what the actual gpu is, the graphics card is the entire thing) while some (like some oc and ko models) use a pcb that has a higher quality silicon. This allows them to get higher frequencies/be faster and also be a bit cooler.

The Founders edition is the card the Nvidia themselves makes. It uses the standard pcb and their cooler. For the other cards, you will see slight differences in speeds.
My advice is to pick one with a good cooler and good reviews.

Ok thanks for your Help, also looks like I’ve got to upgrade the PSU as well 

Founders is Nvidia's own reference cards. Manufacturers then take this basic design and add their own spin to it. 

Things like KO and the various OC variations (Pro, Gaming, Max, Royale with Cheese, etc.) are just marketing terms on the aftermarket cards. It all basically boils down to some level of tweaking to the clocks, power delivery and cooling of the reference cards. OC obviously means it's overclocked from the factory, but you could just as well buy a reference cards and overclock it yourself. In some cases you can actually even do better than a particular aftermarket card.

Super and Ti are actual different, higher powered versions of the card from Nvidia, with Ti being the absolute top of the line. After that, the same aftermarket jazz is applied.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse