Looking for a good GPU to pair with my ryzen

Mike_Evans_
Go to solution Solved by HardStroke,
24 minutes ago, Mike_Evans_ said:

Hello there, I am currently running a Ryzen 5 2600 at 4GHz (on all cores) and I have it paired with a XFX RX 590 Fatboy. I get good fps, and I only plan on playing 1080p high settings. Some games, the RX590 lacks in, and I have had the card for about 2 years now and I am just wanting some personal opinions about pairing possibly a RTX 2060 super with my ryzen 5, or possibly even a RX5700xt. Will I see much of a durastic gameplay difference? I also plan on upgrading my ryzen when the 4000's get leaked or go on sale (which yes, i know, may be a long time) but my 2600 is holding fine for now. Thanks!

if your current gpu works, wait.

i would suggest a second hand 1080/1080 ti but since you said you want to upgrade to amd's new line i would suggest you wait and get a 3070 or a 3080 based on price.

if you'll find a good deal on a 2080/2080s/2080 ti especially after the 3000 series launch, go for it. (i mean a really good deal for really cheap since they are discontinued, im sure retailers would drop the prices to get rid of old stocks like the lower end 2 fans versions)

Hello there, I am currently running a Ryzen 5 2600 at 4GHz (on all cores) and I have it paired with a XFX RX 590 Fatboy. I get good fps, and I only plan on playing 1080p high settings. Some games, the RX590 lacks in, and I have had the card for about 2 years now and I am just wanting some personal opinions about pairing possibly a RTX 2060 super with my ryzen 5, or possibly even a RX5700xt. Will I see much of a durastic gameplay difference? I also plan on upgrading my ryzen when the 4000's get leaked or go on sale (which yes, i know, may be a long time) but my 2600 is holding fine for now. Thanks!

A 2060S or 5700XT will offer quite a substantial improvement, but I'd suggest waiting for RDNA2 and Ampere instead of buying either of these cards now.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I personally have a RTX2060 coupled with a 7 3700X and it's great for me, i mainly play FPS (Titanfall2, Apex Legends currently), so what matters to me the most is stable framerate when playing on 1440p@144Hz, and my current combo accomplishes this quite well when turning down the graphics somewhat (In Apex i have to turn them way down for stable framerate, though that game is poorly optimized).

Basically, 2060S is a great choice, though I agree with Mateyyy about waiting for Ampere, since those cards are rumored to be much better than the current RTX cards (probably more expensive as well). You could buy a used card after Ampere comes out for a large discount, if you're interested in that.

24 minutes ago, Mike_Evans_ said:

i would suggest a second hand 1080/1080 ti but since you said you want to upgrade to amd's new line i would suggest you wait and get a 3070 or a 3080 based on price.

if you'll find a good deal on a 2080/2080s/2080 ti especially after the 3000 series launch, go for it. (i mean a really good deal for really cheap since they are discontinued, im sure retailers would drop the prices to get rid of old stocks like the lower end 2 fans versions)

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

11 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

Doesn't work like that with Nvidia. They'll stop producing the cards that are being replaced months before they release the new ones, when the new cards release the old models will be in pretty short supply and the price will stay high. Also there's no real reason to reduce the price of old cards, not when you can just increase the price of the new ones some more.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Doesn't work like that with Nvidia. They'll stop producing the cards that are being replaced months before they release the new ones, when the new cards release the old models will be in pretty short supply and the price will stay high. Also there's no real reason to reduce the price of old cards, not when you can just increase the price of the new ones some more.

In my local shop, they have sale of a gigabyte 2060 (2 fans) for 10% cheaper. This sale is going for almost 6 or 7 months since they are just trying to get rid of it and pretty sure its the only low end model that they got.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

2 hours ago, HardStroke said:

In my local shop, they have sale of a gigabyte 2060 (2 fans) for 10% cheaper. This sale is going for almost 6 or 7 months since they are just trying to get rid of it and pretty sure its the only low end model that they got.

That will be your shop trying too get rid of old stock but yeah, they do seem to keep producing the lower tier models in perpetuity (xx60 and lower). The xx70, xx80 & xx80tis never hang around for more than a few months after the launch of new cards.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)