Can M.2 M+B fit into M-KEY SLOT?

SirLeper

Hey guys,

As you can tell from my title I'm just wondering if an M+B type M.2 can fit into an M-key slot'

I'm asking this because my current laptop has an M+B type M.2 currently installed into it, although I want to upgrade it to an NVME ssd which all have an M-key so I wasn't sure if they were capable both ways 

Or would I missing out on some performance putting an M-key SSD into a M+B type slot.

Thanks for your help, I hope I haven't confused you with what I'm trying to say :)

6 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

1280px-M2_Edge_Connector_Keying.svg.png&

Hahaha great, so putting an would the extra notch of the B key conflict with an only M key type ssd?

Also would I be losing any performance putting an M key type ssd into a B & M slot?

Thanks for your reply

You will definitely get a better drive performance by using nVMe, if your current SSD is SATA.

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Figure the first part out from the image.

No performance loss as long as the same number of PCIe lanes are allocated to the slot but that's a motherboard issue.

I'm just unsure about the actual slot on the mobo of my laptop, would the stock M+B type M.2 ssd currently installed suggest the mobo has an only m+b slot, the extra notch of the b-key on the mobo would interfere with putting an m-key m.2. Or does all m.2 slots on the actual mobo are a universal slot

3 minutes ago, SirLeper said:

I'm just unsure about the actual slot on the mobo of my laptop, would the stock M+B type M.2 ssd currently installed suggest the mobo has an only m+b slot, the extra notch of the b-key on the mobo would interfere with putting an m-key m.2. Or does all m.2 slots on the actual mobo are a universal slot

what laptop?

what ssd?

b+m can be either sata or pcie x2 and m key is x4 pcie.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what laptop?

what ssd?

b+m can be either sata or pcie x2 and m key is x4 pcie.

Acer travelmate tmp449-m

Lite-on technology 128GB CV3-8D128

So would that mean it won't be worth getting a x4 PCIE nvme as that would be limited to a PCIE x2 because of the physical slot on my motherboard?

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

As I said, look at the picture and compare it with what's on your laptop.

Was hoping I wouldn't have to open my laptop to check

But it's looking like I will thanks for your help 

1 minute ago, SirLeper said:

Acer travelmate tmp449-m

Lite-on technology 128GB CV3-8D128

So would that mean it won't be worth getting a x4 PCIE nvme as that would be limited to a PCIE x2 because of the physical slot on my motherboard?

I think that laptop has a sata and pcie only m.2 slot, but can't confirm.

1 minute ago, SirLeper said:

Was hoping I wouldn't have to open my laptop to check

But it's looking like I will thanks for your help 

THere are some pictures on line, so you don't need to open it up, but id just get the same type of ssd to garantee it will work, so get a sata drive. But it won't matter anyways.

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think that laptop has a sata and pcie only m.2 slot, but can't confirm.

THere are some pictures on line, so you don't need to open it up, but id just get the same type of ssd to garantee it will work, so get a sata drive. But it won't matter anyways.

Was just wondering if that physical slot on my motherboard is an M+B M.2 SSD that means there is two notches protruding right? Which means I'm only limited to M+B type M.2 SSDs yes? That's kind what I'm confused about, I'll have to open it up later today and get a proper look at it.