Game Modding

RWT98
Go to solution Solved by topsu,

Do you mean apply other peoples mods? Or actually create your own?

The forum is Programming & Software Design so ofc its about creating the mods.

You first need to learn programming language depending on your game.

eg. Lua is used in many games.

For skyrim there is a custom language: papurys - http://www.creationkit.com/Category:Papyrus

But almost always the mods are made with same language as the game: Minecraft is made with java and mods for it are made with java

Hey Guys,

This might sound stupid but i want to learn to mod games.

i probley need to give more detail but i don't know how to explain it. 

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Create my own 

For skyrim there is a custom language: papurys - http://www.creationkit.com/Category:Papyrus

But almost always the mods are made with same language as the game: Minecraft is made with java and mods for it are made with java

Curing shitposts by shitposts

I really depends on the game. They're all different. Some require hacks, some require use of a given editor, some could be custom files you make and export, or textures you change in photoshop. You get an idea of how mods are done by the way you install or try ones that other people of made.

So yeah, there's no one way about it. If there is a specific game you want to mod, then there's likely dedicated sites and wiki's for tutorials and instructions so you'll probably get more info on those than from us as a community.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

While that helps, it's not always necesarry. Usually this helps in the bigger mods by adding extra functionality, but model, texture, landscape/level, object type mods don't usually require that.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

While that helps, it's not always necesarry. Usually this helps in the bigger mods by adding extra functionality, but model, texture, landscape/level, object type mods don't usually require that.

i have a good amount of knowledge on coding, i dont know like where to get the rest of the tools i need to make mods and i just dont know where to start at all 

Bethesda games have great tools for making mods.

Fallout has the geck, Skyrim has creation kit and oblivion had something else. And fallout and oblivion are quite similar to mod.

You can't make all kinds of mods with them but stuff like houses and areas and quests. I've never done weapon mods but they're possible too.

Adding voice acting and lip synch is quite easy too.

Myself I've made a small house with some back story in terminals, a healing npc and a tiny quest in the New Vegas geck. That's far more than I could ever do for e.g. Minecraft.

But maybe this type of modding isn't for you.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Bethesda games have great tools for making mods.

Fallout has the geck, Skyrim has creation kit and oblivion had something else. And fallout and oblivion are quite similar to mod.

You can't make all kinds of mods with them but stuff like houses and areas and quests. I've never done weapon mods but they're possible too.

Adding voice acting and lip synch is quite easy too.

Myself I've made a small house with some back story in terminals, a healing npc and a tiny quest in the New Vegas geck. That's far more than I could ever do for e.g. Minecraft.

But maybe this type of modding isn't for you.

i would like do lean more to like Dayz and those kind of mods 

Well then I really have no advice unfortunately.

Those kinds of things go way over my head

Well then I really have no advice unfortunately.

Those kinds of things go way over my head

can you link me to any youtube videos you know of that have helped you ? 

take a look at arma modding tutorials then. A quick google got me to this site http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=36

can you link me to any youtube videos you know of that have helped you ?

Well I've only made mods so basic that pretty much any tutorial suffices.

Maybe if I ever get to making more advanced mods good tutorials start to matter.

And about the utilities I posted earlier, you can do really expansive mods with them within the limitations if the game engine. So for example you can't really make a new class of weapons e.g. Throwables. But you could technically make a mod where the capitol wasteland is full if survivor camps and zombies to kill.

But this still might not be exactly what you're looking for.

That url doesnt want to load for me but i will for sure look some arma modding tuts 

Have you ever heard of ESP Hacking ?

The only esp's i've heard of in modding are the plugins for elder scrolls games :P

ESP (extrasensory perception). In BF2 it applies to seeing enemy name tags that sometimes contain info like the enemies class, health, etc. Also it commonly shows all the enemies on the map

ESP (extrasensory perception). In BF2 it applies to seeing enemy name tags that sometimes contain info like the enemies class, health, etc. Also it commonly shows all the enemies on the map

Yea That i know that in dayz there are people using ESP do you know anything about it ?

Yea That i know that in dayz there are people using ESP do you know anything about it ?

I dont know how much more there is to it? It's a psychological thing right? :P

If you mean the GUI overlays giving you an advantage.. thats just client side code to do that.. 

Now, if the game you want to modify is programmed in a truly compiled language (eg C/C++ compiles into machine code) you will have some problems, you can't hook into any of the code because you don't know what that code is. You would have to do in depth memory analysis, or reverse engineer the binary using expensive programs such as IDA.

Now.. if the game is in a semicompiled language (such as java, which compiles to java byte code which is then interpreted by the java virtual machine) then you should be able to quite easily abstract back to the high level code, the only problem here is often the code is obfuscated and you won't know what anything does (eg int a(string b, int c, double d) is a function, but what does it do?) 

Some games have scripting extensions to build aspects of the game play, these are very easy to add new content too and build on, most bethesda games allow for some form of content adding etc. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

If you mean the GUI overlays giving you an advantage.. thats just client side code to do that.. 

Now, if the game you want to modify is programmed in a truly compiled language (eg C/C++ compiles into machine code) you will have some problems, you can't hook into any of the code because you don't know what that code is. You would have to do in depth memory analysis, or reverse engineer the binary using expensive programs such as IDA.

Now.. if the game is in a semicompiled language (such as java, which compiles to java byte code which is then interpreted by the java virtual machine) then you should be able to quite easily abstract back to the high level code, the only problem here is often the code is obfuscated and you won't know what anything does (eg int a(string b, int c, double d) is a function, but what does it do?) 

Some games have scripting extensions to build aspects of the game play, these are very easy to add new content too and build on, most bethesda games allow for some form of content adding etc. 

If you want to make cheats, using cheat engine to reverse engineer would be a cheap choice. :D

Curing shitposts by shitposts