Help with possible upgrade!

DoodKook

Budget (including currency): $500-$1000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing, mid-tier gaming (Heavily modded New Vegas is the most intense thing I play)

Other details
Current system:

Asus H110M-E Mobo

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

16GB Ram
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

4TB Storage

I recently got really into computers and want to try my hand at tinkering with mine. My current system was made for me by someone else, so I don't have any hands on experience. I was hoping you guys could help me determine the next reasonable point of upgrade, anything to just get my hands working on the system and also improving it as much as I can. Right now I mostly use it for video editing as I'm in film school and it's been sort of lackluster at it. I also play a lot of video games, but nothing crazy demanding. I also wouldn't turn away from aesthetic or accessory suggestions like new case, cooling system, etc. as the aesthetics of my comp are pretty lame rn. Also this is my first post here! Hi guys! Thanks! A photo of my system is attached.

20200726_132358.heic

Do you have a SSD? that would be my #1 recommendation, get a ssd and put your windows installation on it 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

15 minutes ago, DoodKook said:

Budget (including currency): $500-$1000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing, mid-tier gaming (Heavily modded New Vegas is the most intense thing I play)

Other details
Current system:

Asus H110M-E Mobo

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

16GB Ram
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

4TB Storage

I recently got really into computers and want to try my hand at tinkering with mine. My current system was made for me by someone else, so I don't have any hands on experience. I was hoping you guys could help me determine the next reasonable point of upgrade, anything to just get my hands working on the system and also improving it as much as I can. Right now I mostly use it for video editing as I'm in film school and it's been sort of lackluster at it. I also play a lot of video games, but nothing crazy demanding. I also wouldn't turn away from aesthetic or accessory suggestions like new case, cooling system, etc. as the aesthetics of my comp are pretty lame rn. Also this is my first post here! Hi guys! Thanks! A photo of my system is attached.

20200726_132358.heic 1.59 MB · 6 downloads

Being honest you're in a tight spot for an upgrade. I'd reccomened buying an SSD if  you dont have one already,  maybe a new cpu cooling solution, a new case, and a new power supply, but all that is optional based on your opinion. For the msot part, save your money for later, until new CPUs/GPUs launch, (By Nvidia and AMD, I'm just going to ignore intel), and then you might want to consider upgrading either your CPU or GPU, but right now, for your budget and intended use, you're basically good. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Being honest you're in a tight spot for an upgrade. I'd reccomened buying an SSD if  you dont have one already,  maybe a new cpu cooling solution, a new case, and a new power supply, but all that is optional based on your opinion. For the msot part, save your money for later, until new CPUs/GPUs launch, (By Nvidia and AMD, I'm just going to ignore intel), and then you might want to consider upgrading either your CPU or GPU, but right now, for your budget and intended use, you're basically good. 

Thank you for the advice, I currently do have an SSD running my OS on it. I'll save up on huge stuff and just focus on cooling and new case then.