Can I change the switches on this keyboard?

GeneralGusher

Hey, I have this mechanical keyboard, and o was wondering if it is possible to switch the switches on it to something not too loud but also have the tactile feel. I would of gotten a mechanical feel keyboard but I didn’t k ow that this keyboard would be so loud. I was also thinking about changing the key caps. 

here is the keyboard

FLAGPOWER Mechanical Gaming Keyboard 10 LED Backlit Modes 104 Keys Anti-Ghosting Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Blue Switches Aluminum Plate for PC and Mac Gamers-Pro Gamers

1 minute ago, Anonymous015 said:

If you have soldering tools, and time

would a cheap soldiering iron work?

2 minutes ago, GeneralGusher said:

would a cheap soldiering iron work?

Yes, so long as it has enough power. Try to get a 60 w one. Also make sure you practice soldering on cheap electronics first, or you might rip some pads off

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

2 minutes ago, Anonymous015 said:

Yes, so long as it has enough power. Try to get a 60 w one. Also make sure you practice soldering on cheap electronics first, or you might rip some pads off

alright. what do you think i can practice on? i dont have any old mechanical keyboards.

Which switches do yo have in the first place ?

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

2 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Which switches do yo have in the first place ?

I honestly dont know this keyboard is just some random one i found on amazon

Might be easier to spend $40 on a budget gaming keyboard... And you have an extra in case you mess up your old key board.

2 hours ago, Edward Brinkman said:

Might be easier to spend $40 on a budget gaming keyboard... And you have an extra in case you mess up your old key board.

I guess but I’m bored so I just thought I would just mod mine

2 hours ago, Edward Brinkman said:

Idk if it’s only me but 40 sounds like a lot for a keyboard 

9 hours ago, geo3 said:

Not at all. That's on the low end. You'll likely spend around that much for the new switches. 

Ah ok

the best thing to try some switches is a switch tester  ...  or a barebone and you buy different kind of switches ... the last option can become expensive and even more if you get addicted like I'm starting to be ... ;)

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

3 hours ago, Dr0y said:

the best thing to try some switches is a switch tester  ...  or a barebone and you buy different kind of switches ... the last option can become expensive and even more if you get addicted like I'm starting to be ... ;)

Yeah I would rather buy a tester. But I’m just really wondering if my keyboard is like compatible with these different switches 

I know quite a number of keyboards offer switches hot swapping (they will likely include 2 pieces of tools, 1 for removing keycaps, one for removing the switches). You can see an example of such keyboards here (scroll a bit downwards and you'll come to a section called Hot Swappable Modular Mechanical Switches): http://leapfroglobal.com/amg/Armaggeddon-mka-11r/armaggeddon-gaming-keyboard-mechanical

If the switches you intended to use on your existing keyboard matches the pin layout, you can swap them out.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

11 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

I know quite a number of keyboards offer switches hot swapping (they will likely include 2 pieces of tools, 1 for removing keycaps, one for removing the switches). You can see an example of such keyboards here (scroll a bit downwards and you'll come to a section called Hot Swappable Modular Mechanical Switches): http://leapfroglobal.com/amg/Armaggeddon-mka-11r/armaggeddon-gaming-keyboard-mechanical

If the switches you intended to use on your existing keyboard matches the pin layout, you can swap them out.

alright thanks I’ll look into this. I don’t think my keyboard is hot swappable so if the pins do match, would I still be able to somehow solder these switches to my pcb?

12 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

alright thanks I’ll look into this. I don’t think my keyboard is hot swappable so if the pins do match, would I still be able to somehow solder these switches to my pcb?

I believe yes. After all, they are just switches. But do be careful when soldering. Plastic can melt easily.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

17 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

I believe yes. After all, they are just switches. But do be careful when soldering. Plastic can melt easily.

ok thanks alot