Best B550 motherboard?

Hi,
I am currently trying to build a new pc. I like the look of B550 mobos for future-proofing etc.
I am currently looking at ASRock's B550 Extreme4, but have heard bad things about the bios.
Does the bios let it down so much that it would be worth looking at other brands? I am a first time builder so I have really no preferences of layout.
If anyone knows any other options around the same price and style, could you please let me know.
Thanks

Have you looked at the msi mag b550 tomahawk? It is a great motherboard and priced around $180.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

4 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Have you looked at the msi mag b550 tomahawk? It is a great motherboard and priced around $180.

Yes I have, I like the design of the Extreme4 better though, but that was my next pick if there are still bios bugs with ASRock.

7 minutes ago, Newbie.Builder said:

Yes I have, I like the design of the Extreme4 better though, but that was my next pick if there are still bios bugs with ASRock.

I’m not super knowledgeable about motherboards, so I haven’t heard of it until know, but doing some research did not show any results reporting bugs with the bios which make me believe it should be solved. 

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

I’m not super knowledgeable about motherboards, so I haven’t heard of it until know, but doing some research did not show any results reporting bugs with the bios which make me believe it should be solved. 

Hmmm same thing here, I dont know if that is because the issues have been fixed or if it is because it is a new mobo and therefore not many people have had time to discover bugs. 

39 minutes ago, Newbie.Builder said:

ASRock's B550 Extreme4,

Correct me if I'm wrong. But this is basically a steel legend with different looks. 

What cpu are you powering? Technically one of the best b550 boards is the gaming pro carbon, but that board is priced similarly to the x570 tomahawk. So it's immediately not worth it. 

There's also the b550 taichi. But that's simply not Worth it as it's 300 bucks. 

The b550 tomahawk mag. 

B550 mortar. 

B550 steel legend. 

B550 a pro. 

B550 aorus pro. 

B550 strix f. Are all Decent. 

One of the cheaper b550 boards like the pro 4 is also decent. 

If you're powering a 6 or even an 8 core. Consider b450 as well. 

The tomahawk max. 

Mortar max. 

A pro max (non m). 

Pro 4. 

Pro vdh max. Are all capable of handling an 8 core. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. But this is basically a steel legend with different looks. 

What cpu are you powering? 

B550 mortar. 

B550 steel legend. 

B550 a pro. 

B550 aorus pro. 

The tomahawk max. 

Mortar max. 

A pro max (non m). 

Pro 4. 

Yes they are almost identical, with the main difference being Extreme4 having power and reset switches located on the board. I am getting a R7 3700x.

From all the specs I do agree that the Extreme4/Steel legend are god mobos but I have heard that ASRock boards have bios bugs and wanted to clear up if anyone had these problems with their B550s. I have concidered getting a B450, but I am wanting to keep the main system for a long time, and would rather not having to upgrade as many parts as possible. I may go back however if it really is not worth getting the B550.

3 minutes ago, Newbie.Builder said:

however if it really is not worth getting the B550.

All the boards I listed are pretty decent. And will easily handle a 12 core and a 16 core (some boards will need airflow for the vrm to power a 16 core though). 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

All the boards I listed are pretty decent. And will easily handle a 12 core and a 16 core (some boards will need airflow for the vrm to power a 16 core though). 

Ok, also just clearing this up as im pretty new to pc building, I shouldn't need to bios update often, is that correct?

If so maybe getting the Ex4 will not be such a big problem, I still will most likely look back at MSI though.

1 minute ago, Newbie.Builder said:

I shouldn't need to bios update often, is that correct?

B550 supports zen 2 out of the box. Only bios update if you get some instabilities. And if you want to upgrade to zen 3. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

B550 supports zen 2 out of the box. Only bios update if you get some instabilities. And if you want to upgrade to zen 3. 

Ok sweet thank you. Also would looking at a X570 be a good idea? Especially as i am planing on having this system for a long time.

48 minutes ago, Newbie.Builder said:

Also would looking at a X570 be a good idea?

Only x570 boards that are worth it are the tomahawk, the x570-p and the tuf. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Only x570 boards that are worth it are the tomahawk, the x570-p and the tuf. 

Ok thanks.

I have also found the Asus RS B550-f, would you say Asus boards are good? or would it be better to go for something cheaper?

10 hours ago, Newbie.Builder said:

Asus RS B550-f,

the strix f is a great board. 

11 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

The b550 tomahawk mag. 

B550 mortar. 

B550 steel legend. 

B550 a pro. 

B550 aorus pro. 

The tomahawk max. 

Mortar max. 

A pro max (non m). 

Pro 4. 

as i said ^ any of these boards will be just fine. 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

the strix f is a great board. 

as i said ^ any of these boards will be just fine. 

Sweet, thank you. Also just triple checking, is that including bios for the ASRock boards?

27 minutes ago, Newbie.Builder said:

, is that including bios for the ASRock boards?

Bios for asrock boards is fine. 

It's just afaik the layout is eh. And yes the asrock boards I recommended are fine. 

Build Log: 

Bios for asrock boards is fine. 

It's just afaik the layout is eh. And yes the asrock boards I recommended are fine. 

Ok thanks so much and the Ex4 it is then :)