Zalman CNPS20x with Noctua NF-A14

PunkoSr

So it seems the Zalman CNPS20x out performed the Noctua NH-D15. But after looking a bit closer to these two setups I discovered that the Zalmen fans are far inferior when it comes to m3/h (cfm) and mmH2O (static pressure)

So my thoughts are what if you put the better Noctua fans on the better Zalmen heatsink. Would love if LTT did a testing of this setup. 

Guess I should put down the numbers of the fans. 

Zalmen's fans

103.6 m3/h (61 cfm)

1.1 mmH2O

Noctua's fans

140.2 m3/h (82.5 cfm)

2.08 mmH2O

D15 hasn’t been the best cooler for years now, this is nothing new. 

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I don't think changing fans is worth it. There really isn't anything special about Noctua A14. Stock Zalmen fans will do just fine.

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

D15 hasn’t been the best cooler for years now, this is nothing new. 

Yeah, get a Thermalright cooler. They are the best amirite? lol

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

There are others, get one if you want.

No need to be a douche about it.

9 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I mean... I gotta say, your first comment wasn't exactly nice as OP was just asking nicely...

23 minutes ago, Algebruh said:

I don't think changing fans is worth it. There really ins't anything special about Noctua A14. Stock Zalmen fans will do just fine.

From what I've read they won't go lower than about 800rpm which makes them kinda crappy for silent builds. Also the fact that they don't really have a fan shroud around them contributes to kinda trashy static pressure, so I'd also be quite interested in how it performs with other fans, though GN is probably the best for testing that kind of stuff...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

Are you replying to me? if yes, please quote or tag me. I thought we've been through this before.

What's up with the insulting? I thought we are having a civilized conversation 😧

Thermalright IS indeed the best, well, at least you think so. lol

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

1 hour ago, -iSynthesis said:

I mean... I gotta say, your first comment wasn't exactly nice as OP was just asking nicely...

From what I've read they won't go lower than about 800rpm which makes them kinda crappy for silent builds. Also the fact that they don't really have a fan shroud around them contributes to kinda trashy static pressure, so I'd also be quite interested in how it performs with other fans, though GN is probably the best for testing that kind of stuff...

I think Kaze Flex 140 or TY-147B (get the B version, A version uses sleeve bearing) will get the job done, if OP want low RPM fans. 

A15 is decent, but it is a little too expensive for its performance IMO.

Edit: OR!!!11! get a Ty-143 (please don't if you care about noise), because someone who has a special connection to it strongly(or blindly) recommend it. lulz

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

Some good replies and ideals, thanks. Things to ponder
1. HEATSINKS, in most reviews the Noctua NH D-15 was always the winner, expect for when it went up against the Zalman CNPPS20x. If anyone has a review that shows others winning over the Noctua, I'd love to see them.

2. FANS, The Noctua NF-A15 seem to be the best fans on the market for CFM, Static pressure, and noise. Granted there are higher performing CFM fans but at the loss of noise. 

Either way, which ever heatsink I go with, I will post the build and numbers once done.

Yea I do recommend Thermalright often. Mainly because they are almost unknown to most people. They have been a round longer than almost all popular choices, and many innovations that you see today are because of them. Just trying to raise awareness, though it makes me look like a fanboy doing so. I had a D14 too, just throwing that out there so it doesn’t look so one sided on my part. I also had a CLC that I used until it’s death.

Here is one review of a Thermalright cooler. I am at work so don’t have much time.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermalright-le-grand-macho/6.html

Also, TY-143 sounds like TY147A+B at the same RPM, so nice and quiet until about 1500rpm, after that it’s gets a little more noticeable.. 😄

Outside of Thermalright there is Scythe, Phanteks, Deepcool, of course the Zalman. There may be another that I’m missing.

In this day and age though, if you aren’t pushing 250w or more, you probably don’t need a huge cooler. 

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

Just trying to raise awareness, though it makes me look like a fanboy doing so. I had a D14 too, just throwing that out there so it doesn’t look so one sided on my part.

Trash talking other brands definitely help raising awareness of your beloved brand. 200 IQ move😂

Besides, how is "raising awareness" going to answer OP's question?

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

Also, TY-143 sounds like TY147A+B at the same RPM, so nice and quiet until about 1500rpm, after that it’s gets a little more noticeable.. 😄

Finally, something we can agree on lol

I mean, you could just comment this in the first place.

FYI, now I believe you already know what new fans and coolers Thermalright released in China in 2019 because of your...enthusiasm for that brand.

Namely, TL-C12, C14, D14. If you ever read posts on CHH forum, you will find out that their S-FDB bearings have very high defective rate, but I think this isn't going to stop you from trying them out ;)

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

19 minutes ago, Algebruh said:

Trash talking other brands definitely help raising awareness of your beloved brand. 200 IQ move😂

Besides, how is "raising awareness" going to answer OP's question?

Finally, something we can agree on lol

I mean, you could just comment this in the first place.

FYI, now I believe you already know what new fans and coolers Thermalright released in China in 2019 because of your...enthusiasm for that brand.

Namely, TL-C12, C14, D14. If you ever read posts on CHH forum, you will find out that their S-FDB bearings have very high defective rate, but I think this isn't going to stop you from trying them out ;)

Just because I’m an enthusiast doesn’t mean I know everything. I haven’t been paying attention to their most recent coolers, except maybe the frost spirit. Looks interesting.. I’m curious how it compares to my True Spirit 140 Power.

Also, I wasn’t trash talking any brand. Noctua isn’t the end all be all. Their stuff is nice, but others make nice stuff too. And others don’t.. I have to wonder if the people who are truly in love with them have seen or used another cooler of equal quality. I guess I was just kind of annoyed with it.

Also I don’t know what CHH forum is.

Obviously I’m not a company spokesman because of my terrible people skills. 

Well either way as I'm gaining more knowledge of computer parts after watching and reading up on them, I tend to rely of hard facts and real numbers, reviews help but need to be taken with a level of error in them. Yeah RGB would look great, but after reviewing the performance of the fans and most of the heatsinks, their performance is lacking when compared to more tradition looking stuff. So for now it's still looking like the Zalman heatsink is the winner, but I am worried about the company and what kind of service I might get from them. Noctua has a very good rep when it comes to service so I might stick with them for now. As for the heatsink of choice, it's going to come down to what my height limit will end up being. As I'm constructing a custom case, this will be the final deciding factor.

Thanks all for the comments, got some good ideals and more manufactures to checkout.