Work from home PC for relative

ladal1

Budget (including currency): Mostly looking for parts check / if parts are fit for task

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I'm trying to make a list for a relative who is looking for work from home pc (switching from laptop). He's looking for a pc able to run 2-4 1080p monitors or one ultrawide/large 4k display. Mostly running either remote desktop or ms office (with a lot of large excel tables and/or many files open). It should also be a little future proof for these tasks. I was thinking about Ryzen 3600 + gtx 1660 + 500gb sata ssd and 32 gb of Ram (just in case). But as price is also a little bit of concern I'm not sure if I'm not building an overkill for that as I haven't really cared about desktop hardware since I build my gaming PC few years back.

Thanks a lot

why do he need 2-4 monitors if he´s using remote desktop? Does he open 4 Sessions at once or just for other stuff floating around?

2 Monitors will be more then enought if he´s switching from laptop.

16GB is fine for his tasks, and 1050 or an amd rx570 Gpu is enough.

1 minute ago, AlexAfterwork said:

why do he need 2-4 monitors if he´s using remote desktop? Does he open 4 Sessions at once or just for other stuff floating around?

2 Monitors will be more then enought if he´s switching from laptop.

16GB is fine for his tasks, and 1050 or an amd rx570 Gpu is enough.

He runs 6 monitors at work and I'm pretty sure they run something else then directly remote desktop for access

the 1660 is overkill if he doesn't do any 3d design work/ video editing. could get away with a rx560/570 or a 1650 or even a 1050ti.

otherwise, I agree with the 3600 + 32gb of ram.

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the 1660 is overkill if he doesn't do any 3d design work/ video editing. could get away with a rx560/570 or a 1650 or even a 1050ti.

otherwise, I agree with the 3600 + 32gb of ram.

Apparently some gaming (modern remasters) is also in consideration in the future, so I think I'll go with 1650 (maybe super) if I find one with 4 ports that's cheaper then 1660's

4 minutes ago, ladal1 said:

Apparently some gaming (modern remasters) is also in consideration in the future, so I think I'll go with 1650 (maybe super) if I find one with 4 ports that's cheaper then 1660's

go with 1650 super then.

also make sure you chose a good motherboard and a good PSU. do you have something in mind for these?

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

go with 1650 super then.

also make sure you chose a good motherboard and a good PSU. do you have something in mind for these?

I have a pretty good experience with seasonic (currently all three PC's in my home are running off of them) so probably going with that. With MB I'm deciding if I can get away with B450, but as he's planning on building it by himself so I don't really want him to need to flash a bios or need to borrow my Ryzen that's running my htpc, I think I have to go with B550 but haven't decided which one yet

1 minute ago, ladal1 said:

I have a pretty good experience with seasonic (currently all three PC's in my home are running off of them) so probably going with that. With MB I'm deciding if I can get away with B450, but as he's planning on building it by himself so I don't really want him to need to flash a bios or need to borrow my Ryzen that's running my htpc, I think I have to go with B550 but haven't decided which one yet

i think a b550 is the better option, as they have better vrms generally and are also meant to be compatible with the future 4000 series.

with seasonic, go with one of their gold rated models, preferably from the focus series. I would avoid any of their bronze rated or less models. 450-500W would be enough.

8 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i think a b550 is the better option, as they have better vrms generally and are also meant to be compatible with the future 4000 series.

with seasonic, go with one of their gold rated models, preferably from the focus series. I would avoid any of their bronze rated or less models. 450-500W would be enough.

I wouldn't go under gold, probably 500W and I guess B550 that I'll decide when he asks for the build when he gets to buying and building it...

Thanks for the help