Slow wifi speeds on new modem

BrightLuigi

I recently got faster internet installed (100 down / 10 up) and a new modem as well, the wired speeds are what they are supposed to be but the wireless is a tenth of that, is it the modem or am I doing something wrong? The modem is a TP-Link VN020-F3 I know it's not the best but 10mbps is really slow. Plus it's rated for 300mbps. 

My phone (Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite) has also decided to not ant to connect to the modem. 

Wireless has two ends.  The modem may have been updated but if the adaptor hasn’t nothing will happen.  Also the modem might only use old protocols despite its being new.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The modem has wireless N which supports 100mbps+ speeds. Both my phone and laptop have ac adaptors.

7 minutes ago, BrightLuigi said:

The modem has wireless N which supports 100mbps+ speeds. Both my phone and laptop have ac adaptors.

N isn’t very new. Also there were a bunch of kinds.  It’s a pretty messed up protocol.  Could be both are defaulting to something older than N for whatever reason.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The number you see on the box is called the Phyrate. It's calculated by 

PHY Rate (bps) = (Number of Bits Transmitted)/(Symbol Time+Guard Interval)

= (N∗B∗R∗S)/(Tb+GI)

Where:

Number of Carriers Per Channel = N
Bits per symbol = B
Foward Error Correction (FEC) Rate = R
Guard Interval = GI
Number of MIMO Spatial Streams: S
Symbol Time = Tb

PHY Rate is the maximum rate at which the data can be transmitted for Wi-Fi products.

Of course as a consumer you don't need to know this, but it's how they got the number of 300Mbps for your wireless router.

For a more realistic number you should halve the number of the box for your approximate real-world thoroughput.