Leaving psu turned off while being connected

SomeonesDad

Is it okay if i leave my psu plugged to the electricity and the pc while im turning it off? because most of the time i turn off the pc, not the psu. I'm just trying to make sure my brother can't turn the pc on while being unnoticed

-Main PC-

CPU Ryzen 3 3100 | | Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | | GPU PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 | |RAM 16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3000MHz | | PSU Corsair CX550 80+ Bronze | | SSD Kingston A400 240GB | | HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM  | |Case Phanteks P300

-Laptop-

HP Elite 820 G4

Intel I5-7200U

Intel HD 620

8GB DDR4

500GB SSD

1 minute ago, SomeonesDad said:

Is it okay if i leave my psu plugged to the electricity and the pc while im turning it off? because most of the time i turn off the pc, not the psu. I'm just trying to make sure my brother can't turn the pc on while being unnoticed

Can you explain more clearly as I can't understand what you mean by leaving it plugged in while turning it off.  The whole purpose of power switches on PSUs is so you can turn them off while leaving them plugged in, so what exactly do you mean by turning it off?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Can you explain more clearly as I can't understand what you mean by leaving it plugged in while turning it off.  The whole purpose of power switches on PSUs is so you can turn them off while leaving them plugged in, so what exactly do you mean by turning it off?

Yeah i was just kinda worried, i want my system to live as long as it can, yeah i think you've helped me there, thanks bud

-Main PC-

CPU Ryzen 3 3100 | | Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | | GPU PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 | |RAM 16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3000MHz | | PSU Corsair CX550 80+ Bronze | | SSD Kingston A400 240GB | | HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM  | |Case Phanteks P300

-Laptop-

HP Elite 820 G4

Intel I5-7200U

Intel HD 620

8GB DDR4

500GB SSD

2 hours ago, SomeonesDad said:

By removing standby power to the board in powerdown for many hours at a time,..you may over time lose your CMOS battery saving abilities.
Maybe not, maybe so,.. It's happened before, but the frequency at which you turn back on and off, might be enough to keep it covered.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

A CMOS battery is cheap and easily replaced, so i wouldnt worry about that.

Theres little to be concerned about turning the PC off directly at the power supply switch. Just make sure you shut it down normally first.

7 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

By removing standby power to the board in powerdown for many hours at a time,..you may over time lose your CMOS battery saving abilities.
Maybe not, maybe so,.. It's happened before, but the frequency at which you turn back on and off, might be enough to keep it covered.

I just replaced a CMOS battery... on an 8 year old board. I always power off with a power strip when PC is not in use. that PC also was a spare and not used for years, so it barely had any time with power. A battery stored in its package probably will be dead after 8 years of storage anyway. I doubt leaving power on really has a benefit for battery life. I'd be more concerned the PSU being on all the time since than it has more hours of run time and exposure to lightning, bronwnouts etc. (I realize it is exposed to those dangers when the PC is running, but then i actually have the benefit of PC operation)

The more you turn your PSU off then on, the more times your PSU has to deal with inrush current, which will shorten the lifespan if you do it every day.

The best way to do it is to turn the PC off while leaving the PSU turned on and plugged in, so if you're already doing that, keep it that way.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad