GPU's for Folding, On-board graphics for monitors???

I'm putting together ideas for a new computer for my wife, and looking for all the help/suggestions I can find!

For me the primary focus is Folding.  Standard usage for her is web surfing, paying bills, a few docs & spreadsheets ... etc.  Gaming for her is the occasional round of Minecraft with our daughter.

My first thought is to put two GTX 1080ti gpu's in the machine for folding.  But since I want them folding 24/7, I need to have some other source feeding the monitors when she needs the computer, so either on-board graphics, or a third (lower power) gpu just for the monitors (possibly a GTX 650ti boost ... that's what I have in my computer now, doing a good job!)

I know I'll need a healthy PSU ... If I do end up running three GPU's, I'm guessing I'll need something close to a 850 - 1000 watt PSU.

Recently I did a search on Facebook Marketplace for "GTX 1080ti", and it returned a ready built system w/ that gpu and a Asus ROG Maximus IX mobo ... I liked the look of that motherboard as it looks like it has onboard graphics and could maybe support 3 gpu's.

But at this point I'm open to all ideas!  I kinda wish there was a PC part picker customized for building Folding machines!!!

Thank you in advance for all your help and advice!!!

You can use the onboard graphics to render the desktop, for the primary monitor, and use the discrete gpu's for folding. Just be cautious as some CPU's don't have a GPU. For the 1080Ti's, a decent 800 Watt PSU would suffice.

Current Build

Make sure you get one of the best cases that are proven to have the very best cooling temperatures. I had a Fractal Design S2 and when I started using FAH I got a 2nd 2080 Ti for my PC, but then I found my GPU's performance were throttling due to a lot of heat build up in the case. So I upgraded and even added more fans with Noctua Industrial 3000rpm (far too loud though) which helped but my GPU's were still throttling, so then I got a new case the Cooler Master SL600M which is the best case for cooling according to a load of benchmark tests. It works great but I've still had to put a 120mm Noctua 2000rpm fan sitting right on top of the vertically-aligned GPU's which helps cool my hottest GPU by 3-4'C.

My PC with a high-end CPU and 2x 2080 Ti's uses about 800 watts (at 240 volts here in the UK), I have a 1600 watt PSU so its running at 50% usage when running FAH.

You probably won't get a CPU as powerful as mine, and both the 1080 Ti and 2080 Ti pretty much use the same amount of power, so your PC will probably use 700 watts with 2x 1080 Ti's.

The thing is with PSU's the more power they use compared to the max wattage rating of the PSU the more heat the PSU generates, so if you can get a much higher rated watt PSU the better as to try reduce the amount of heat your PC produces.

I originally contemplated getting a third less powerful GPU as well but, I've since realised the heat generation might be too much. And then I look at massive rigs like LazyDev's PC and wonder how TF does his rig's temp's stay so cool lol

15 hours ago, SparkiTom said:

I originally contemplated getting a third less powerful GPU as well but, I've since realised the heat generation might be too much. And then I look at massive rigs like LazyDev's PC and wonder how TF does his rig's temp's stay so cool lol

I run a few dual GPU systems and the only solution I’ve found using conventional cases aside from using Noctua iPPC fans and the associated noise is to buy at least one hybrid GPU and put that in the upper slot.

Best case I’ve found is the Fractal Meshify S. Load the front with NF-A14s and another in the bottom as intakes and a iPPC2000 or 3000 in the rear for exhaust. A little bit of fan curve tuning and you can get the noise way down.

For 6-8 GPU systems the best in terms of noise and cooling is to use twin-axial GPUs in a mining frame with some airflow optimized fans on the frame. Quieter than a dual GPU rig in a conventional chassis.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

I'm folding 24/7 with  2 x 2060 in a GameMax F15M Mesh case that is doing good for temps. It comes with included 2 x 200mm ARGB fans at the front and 1 x 120mm ARGB fan at the back and I put another 120mm above the CPU. The top GPU runs at 65C the lower at 60C.

On 7/23/2020 at 1:26 PM, SparkiTom said:

The temps are good. Believe me, I feel it. It warms the room up. Each GPU hovers around 60-70.C.

Current Build