Just got my (used) 1070, next steps?

BettersonMcgee

Just got it in and everythings working, drivers are already the latest from my last nvidia gpu. Any other optimizations I should make before i take this baby to the test?

12 minutes ago, BettersonMcgee said:

Just got it in and everythings working, drivers are already the latest from my last nvidia gpu. Any other optimizations I should make before i take this baby to the test?

Don't use Nvidia Geforce Settings (GFE Optimizations) - Many a thread gets created for it ruining/overwriting and performance tanking.

Enjoy Shadowplay/Share sections of GFE however... Capturing gameplay...
If its a little warm, use MSI Afterburner to up the fans a tad...
If temps good, but loud, opposite,..lower fanspeed if you want.

Test with Games, I'd expect 1950-2000Mhz Core OC, Vram is GPUtoGPU on what you get. Stock I'd expect 1800-1911Mhz Coreclock somewhere.
And some games might trip the OC when other games won't so give it plenty of games and long sessions to test stability over time,, if you OC that is.

Note that some games, Ultra preset globally in games is a HOG on some select settings, worth sussing Veryhigh or High in some titles for some specific settings to claw back gains you wouldn't notice visually otherwise. (Assassins Creed Odyssey Clouds Ultra vs Medium/High for Huge Gains to framerate)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Download MSIAfterBurner and may be doing some overclock, my 1070ti overclock really well especially in aircon room. Can easily reach over 2000 clockspeed and stable

^ my 2c
My GTX1070 also does above 2Ghz (+195) Coreclock and while my Vram only gains 200Mhz and then artifacts, if using 1440p or below I doubt the small vram OC makes a huge difference, so I just run my Core OC now.
Bandwidth plays its part in High Res or when using Ultra Post processing, but the GPU is still beast for 1080p and 1440p Gaming.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

28 minutes ago, BettersonMcgee said:

Just got it in

😏😏😏😏

30 minutes ago, BettersonMcgee said:

take this baby to the test

😏😏😏😏

😕

38 minutes ago, BettersonMcgee said:

Just got it in and everythings working,..........before i take this baby to the test?

When the PC boots with your newly purchased USED GPU.

Enjoy!!!

503.gif

Keep in mind you could squeeze some more performance if you by chance can OC your 2666Mhz Memory to 3000/3200Mhz (even with semi loosened Memory timings)
Due to Ryzen Infinity Fabric speeds Syncing at half RAM speeds,...(1333 for 2666Ram vs 1500/1600 for 3000/3200Ram)

24 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Keep in mind you could squeeze some more performance if you by chance can OC your 2666Mhz Memory to 3000/3200Mhz (even with semi loosened Memory timings)
Due to Ryzen Infinity Fabric speeds Syncing at half RAM speeds,...(1333 for 2666Ram vs 1500/1600 for 3000/3200Ram)

Pretty much always use 1:1 with new Ryzens unless you can oc over 4000.

56 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

controversial statement coming up

I've never overclocked anything before.

I'm not gonna ask you for the advice that I know I can just google anyways but do you think my system is severely missing out on performance because of my lack of overclocking my hardware? I know a fair bit about overclocking and I have all the software for it, it's just something i've never felt like I needed to do lol

23 minutes ago, BettersonMcgee said:

controversial statement coming up

I've never overclocked anything before.

I'm not gonna ask you for the advice that I know I can just google anyways but do you think my system is severely missing out on performance because of my lack of overclocking my hardware? I know a fair bit about overclocking and I have all the software for it, it's just something i've never felt like I needed to do lol

If your sensitive to any MINFPS drops or see some drops vs expected results,... I'd hazard a try / comparison test.
I'm not saying its drastic,..or a big deal as I've not tested it.

But Ryzen and Ram speed is the real deal from the videos i've seen. (MinFPS Higher (closer to AVG) = Smoother perceived experience)