Antistatic bracelet with psu already connected to all the parts

If i were to use an antistatic bracelet with a psu thats already plugged in to everything (gpu, motherboard, harddrives etc.) do I need to plug out all those power connectors or can i just leave them in the psu. 

1 minute ago, LinkyBerry said:

If i were to use an antistatic bracelet with a psu thats already plugged in to everything (gpu, motherboard, harddrives etc.) do I need to plug out all those power connectors or can i just leave them in the psu. 

You can leave them in the PSU, as - simply speaking - if you were to 'carry' static electricity with you, it would want the easiest way out; which would be via the ground wire in the PSU (assuming your PSU is connected to a grounded power outlet).

But I am unsure what you're exactly asking; are you going to upgrade something in the PC or something? If you want to use an antistatic bracelet, why wouldn't you want that properly connected when handling your component (i.e. when unplugging the power cables)?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

23 minutes ago, minibois said:

You can leave them in the PSU, as - simply speaking - if you were to 'carry' static electricity with you, it would want the easiest way out; which would be via the ground wire in the PSU (assuming your PSU is connected to a grounded power outlet).

But I am unsure what you're exactly asking; are you going to upgrade something in the PC or something? If you want to use an antistatic bracelet, why wouldn't you want that properly connected when handling your component (i.e. when unplugging the power cables)?

Right now im just fiddling around in my pc for cleaning, but im planning on upgrading soon and i just wanted to be sure that none of the static electricity would go through the f.e 24 pin power connector in the motherboard and ruin it. Id rather be safe than sorry

34 minutes ago, LinkyBerry said:

I wouldn't recommend using the same PSU to ground yourself as that to be installed in the system, get an old cheap PSU that has a power on and off switch so that you can connect to it for grounding while it is powered off (never connect to a plugged in and powered on PSU). If you don't have any other PSUs then see if a friend will let you borrow one or you may be able to find one on the cheap at a metal/computer recycling center or by buying one used if you don't have one of those recycling centers nearby.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

33 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I wouldn't recommend using the same PSU to ground yourself as that to be installed in the system, get an old cheap PSU that has a power on and off switch so that you can connect to it for grounding while it is powered off (never connect to a plugged in and powered on PSU). If you don't have any other PSUs then see if a friend will let you borrow one or you may be able to find one on the cheap at a metal/computer recycling center or by buying one used if you don't have one of those recycling centers nearby.

I saw once on a ltt 1st person pc building tutorial that he used the same psu he was gonna use in the system to ground himself. But if thats not the case, is there anything else i can connect the antistatic wristband to other than buying a cheap old power supply or buying anything at all?

4 minutes ago, LinkyBerry said:

I saw once on a ltt 1st person pc building tutorial that he used the same psu he was gonna use in the system to ground himself. But if thats not the case, is there anything else i can connect the antistatic wristband to other than buying a cheap old power supply or buying anything at all?

I have watched many LinusTechTips build guides and if I recall correctly @LinusTech uses a spare PSU plugged in and powered off with an antistatic wristband connected to his leg so that it's out of the way. You could connect to a metal part of your case otherwise, I have seen many times where old PSUs are given away for free if you're lucky enough to find one (not usually good enough for use in a modern system although good enough for grounding).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch