Thoughts on this build please?

Hi everyone,

I've managed to persuade Mrs Gene to let me buy a new computer for my 30th birthday.  I've been doing some research and think I've got the build where I want it, with decent compatible components, to run Windows 8.1, a handful of VMs on occasion and the odd game here and there.  I'm not massively into overclocking but may ramp it up a little bit.  The games I'm playing are not hugely graphically intensive so I think the graphics card is more than powerful enough.

Case:  Corsair Obsidian 750D

Motherboard:  ASUS Sabertooth Z87

PSU:  Corsair AX760i

CPU:  Intel Core i7 4770K

Cooler:  Corsair H100i

Cooler radiator fans:  Corsair 120mm SP120 Quiet Edition

RAM:  16GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz Ballistix Sport (from an existing build)

GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked

Boot Drive:  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

Storage Drive:  WD Black 3TB 7200rpm 6Gbps

Grateful for any thoughts/comments. 

If you aren't really gaming then the GPU should be fine. Build is overall perfect for your uses. Except that PSU might be too much unless you want to upgrade later on.

build looks great! personally id get a cheaper motherboard and put the money towards a slightly better GPU.. but i game quite a bit.

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

nicely balanced build, great choices. approved!

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

nothing to add to this...

a nicer GPU might be better but if you wont use it to its full potential why even bother....

The PSU is pretty overkill but you never know what you will add in the future

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Thanks everyone for your comments.  On the PSU, I've picked this one because it's Platinum rated for efficiency - do you think a 650 watt RM series, which is gold efficiency, would be a better choice?

Hi everyone,

I've managed to persuade Mrs Gene to let me buy a new computer for my 30th birthday.  I've been doing some research and think I've got the build where I want it, with decent compatible components, to run Windows 8.1, a handful of VMs on occasion and the odd game here and there.  I'm not massively into overclocking but may ramp it up a little bit.  The games I'm playing are not hugely graphically intensive so I think the graphics card is more than powerful enough.

Case:  Corsair Obsidian 750D

Motherboard:  ASUS Sabertooth Z87

PSU:  Corsair AX760i

CPU:  Intel Core i7 4770K

Cooler:  Corsair H100i

Cooler radiator fans:  Corsair 120mm SP120 Quiet Edition

RAM:  16GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz Ballistix Sport (from an existing build)

GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked

Boot Drive:  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

Storage Drive:  WD Black 3TB 7200rpm 6Gbps

Grateful for any thoughts/comments. 

250 gb evo istead of 256 pro. 3 tb WD green istead of the black. I5 instead of i7 and 780/770 instead of 660. 

Thanks everyone for your comments.  On the PSU, I've picked this one because it's Platinum rated for efficiency - do you think a 650 watt RM series, which is gold efficiency, would be a better choice?

The RM series is very good but some people are experiencing coil whine on the lower watt models like the 650 watts you mentioned.

I would persionally go with the 760i or with a 750 watts RM series because the only difference is the corsair link thingy that the 760i has (i dont think the RM series has that, i could be wrong)

Have fun building

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

250 gb evo istead of 256 pro. 3 tb WD green istead of the black. I5 instead of i7 and 780/770 instead of 660. 

DUDE did you even read his post?

DUDE did you even read his post?

Yeah i did. He is wasting money on these parts. And i'm  always p for more gpu power. 

The Corsair AX760i is made by Flextronix, however the AX760 is made by Seasonic. I've heard of problems with the AX860i (made by Flextronix) that the AX860 doesn't suffer from (made by Seasonic). I don't know if this extends to the AX760/760i, and the AX760 is also cheaper, but I'll leave you to decide. Overall a good build :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

This is like perfect, maybe a higher GPU if you play more intensive games :D

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

Yeah i did. He is wasting money on these parts. And i'm  always p for more gpu power. 

still, what you suggested is 99% above his budged

i think that the build he has is very good for his use case senario. i would also say go with a better GPU but if doesnt need why even bother? he can get more improvements with his I7 cuz of his VM's...

Hi ya - the 840 Pro is a much better drive than the evo as far as I can see from benchmark tests.  I chose a black vs green drive because I still desire good strong performance from my storage drive.  I need the i7 for the extra cores so I can run more VMs.  The 780/770 is waaaaaay overkill for the games I will want to play - it'd be utterly wasted GPU power.

No, I'd be wasting money on the extra GPU power that will sit there unused....

Thanks anyway though :P

Hi ya - the 840 Pro is a much better drive than the evo as far as I can see from benchmark tests.  I chose a black vs green drive because I still desire good strong performance from my storage drive.  I need the i7 for the extra cores so I can run more VMs.  The 780/770 is waaaaaay overkill for the games I will want to play - it'd be utterly wasted GPU power.

1. Just wrong. They are neck at neck. 2. There is almost no diffrence between them. (performance) 3. There are no extra cores. (Just logical cores) also you could get a Xeons since you won't oc a lot. 4. MORE JUICE IS ALWAYS JUMMY. :D 

1. Just wrong. They are neck at neck. 2. There is almost no diffrence between them. (performance) 3. There are no extra cores. (Just logical cores) also you could get a Xeons since you won't oc a lot. 4. MORE JUICE IS ALWAYS JUMMY. :D

So what's the basis of your suggestion to go with an EVO then?  The green is a 5400rpm drive vs a black with 7200rpm and you say there's no difference in performance? :huh:  The extra logical cores will really benefit my VMs - I don't want a Xeon rig.  More juice, whilst yummy, is also utterly pointless if it sits there unused.

Decent and balanced system configuration. 

You can get away with a bit cheaper Asus motherboard instead of the more expensive Sabertooth like the Asus Gryphon Z87. They have the same color scheme but without that fancy thermal armor plate thingy.

The PSU is fine if you want that "Platinum" badge for the overall efficiency of the system but the Corsair RM 650W PSU isn't a wrong choice either. It has the "Gold" rating which is better than "Bronze" or "Silver" and since it's closer to the usage drain, you can expect a bit better efficiency out of a "Gold" rated PSU. 

That was my Twocents about your system  ;)  

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

So what's the basis of your suggestion to go with an EVO then?  The green is a 5400rpm drive vs a black with 7200rpm and you say there's no difference in performance? :huh:  The extra logical cores will really benefit my VMs - I don't want a Xeon rig.  More juice, whilst yummy, is also utterly pointless if it sits there unused.

1. Yes. 2. Yeah it makes almost no diffrence. In a hdd only build yes the black is better but in a ssd main drive build it does not matter. 3. True that. Also why not? 4. Moar fps? Moar ultra? 

4.  MORE JUICE IS ALWAYS JUMMY  :D 

Ugh, still it's his system and he has stated clearly that he didn't want a powerful GPU for his everyday work. He asked for advice, not for "how to make my PC even more overkill and cost me alot more that it supposed to be". 

Ugh, still it's his system and he has stated clearly that he didn't want a powerful GPU for his everyday work. He asked for advice, not for "how to make my PC even more overkill and cost me alot more that it supposed to be". 

I suggested him parts on which he could save money while not degrading the power in any meanigful way... Read before you say something. 

I suggested him parts on which he could save money while not degrading the power in any meanigful way... Read before you say something. 

Not really... A GTX 770 is still alot more expensive than the savings you've done. 

Not really... A GTX 770 is still alot more expensive than the savings you've done. 

Cheapest 660: 175.92$ Cheapest 770: 309.99$ Diffrence: 134,07. WD Black 3tb: 192,99$. WD Green: 108$. Savings of 84.99$  256gb 840pro: 199.99$ 250gb 840 evo: 149.99$. 50$ savings. 50+84.99= 134.99 and that is while not going for a i5 or a Xeon. I win. :D 

Cheapest 660: 175.92$ Cheapest 770: 309.99$ Diffrence: 134,07. WD Black 3tb: 192,99$. WD Green: 108$. Savings of 84.99$  256gb 840pro: 199.99$ 250gb 840 evo: 149.99$. 50$ savings. 50+84.99= 134.99 and that is while not going for a i5 or a Xeon. I win. :D

:-P