Riser cable screw mounting locations

hammy

Hi everyone. Very random question, if anyone knows the answer to this I'd owe them big time!

Does anyone know if the screw locations on PCIE riser cables are standardized, and if so, what that standard width is?

I've been able to snag 3 of them, and they all seem the same, but I'm not 100% certain if that always holds true. I'm not exactly sure where riser manufacturers (particularly ones with straight connectors) plan for customers to actually screw them in with a normal case, but it'd be super helpful for me to figure out.

This one is weird to me.  A riser would connect to the pcie clip and not use any screws.  I’m not sure what you are talking about. Connecting a pcie connector to a cable maybe?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

This one is weird to me.  A riser would connect to the pcie clip and not use any screws.  I’m not sure what you are talking about.

Right, that was actually my assumption as well, but check out these:

Thermaltake TT Gaming PCI-E x16 3.0 Black Extender Riser Cable 200mm

EZDIY-FAB New PCI Express 16x Flexible Cable Card Extension

There's definitely mounting holes there. If I could figure out either:

A. What a straight riser needs those holes for (is it just cheaper to manufacture one type of mount with screw holes on them?)
B. If when a riser has screw holes, is that a standardized width or is it random?

So you are talking about screw holes for mounting the female side of the cable to a new location.  My suspicion is that it would be standardized but I don’t have any direct information myself. Sorry :/  someone else might.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So you are talking about screw holes for mounting the female side of the cable to a new location.  My suspicion is that it would be standardized but I don’t have any direct information myself. Sorry :/  someone else might.

No worries at all, thank you for checking it out!!

I've tried every iteration of this question into google and I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere! I think I'm just going to have to assume there is no standard with these highly specific cables and go from there

13 minutes ago, hammy said:

No worries at all, thank you for checking it out!!

I've tried every iteration of this question into google and I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere! I think I'm just going to have to assume there is no standard with these highly specific cables and go from there

For googling, One thought might be finding out what the female pcie connector is called exactly.  It will have a name, which may well be a number or code, then search for that.  This gets into motherboard manufacturer stuff which I am not familiar with