Is there a program that could fix the dates of my photos?

Go to solution Solved by Parideboy,
1 hour ago, Freshby69 said:

I've tried copying with TeraCopy but it still uses today's date for date created, is there any way it can restore the date of the file?

It can't go back in time if that's the date of the files saved on the computer. It doesn't change the date while copying, TeraCopy won't work if the photos from google themselves have the date changed. I've tried to download a photo from Google Photos and it overwrites the date indeed.

Use this program: https://www.relliksoftware.com/exifdatechanger/

Make sure to select 'No date adjustment' in the 'Time Difference' tab (I know, it's counterintuitive, but this actually changes the EXIF date, and we don't want that)

Under the 'Options' tab, check ''Preserve original modification date', 'Use file created if no date taken', 'Set file created date to taken date' and uncheck 'Rename files to:'

It creates a copy of the photo instead of modifying it, so you can try to batch the process if you want.

Make sure to copy the photos with the correct date with TeraCopy, otherwise, the modified and creation date will change as soon as the file gets created on the phone.

Recently I downloaded a bunch of photos that were in my Google photos, but when I imported them to my phone, they all appeared as being taken on that day. I was wondering if there was a program or tool that could fix the dates using the EXIF data in the photos?

Is the software that you use to veiw them on your phone using the EXIF data to find the dates that appear to be from that day?

Specs:

Spoiler

Desktop:

RYZEN 7 2700X

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Gigabyte RTX 2060 6G OC

MASTERWATT 750

FRACTAL FOCUS G

KINGSTON A400 480

Bad Laptop:

1st gen mobile i5

Integrated Graphics

350GB HDD

8GB Maxed Out

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard: Old Sony Mechanical Keyboard

Mouse: Wacom Intuos 3 (2009)

Speakers: Old sony speakers w/ integrated headphone amp

I try my best.

37 minutes ago, Freshby69 said:

Recently I downloaded a bunch of photos that were in my Google photos, but when I imported them to my phone, they all appeared as being taken on that day. I was wondering if there was a program or tool that could fix the dates using the EXIF data in the photos?

I had the same problem when I moved from a 64Gb Micro Sd to a 128 one. Check if the 'created' and 'modified' dates are correct in the files you downloaded from Google Photos (to a pc, I'm assuming).

Use TeraCopy to copy the files to your phone. TeraCopy will restore both original 'creation' and 'modified' dates of the files copied.

There's a gallery app for Android called QuikPic that let's you restore the date from the one reported in the exif of the image, if it has one. Works pretty good, but the first method has worked way better for me.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, Parideboy said:

I had the same problem when I moved from a 64Gb Micro Sd to a 128 one. Check if the 'created' and 'modified' dates are correct in the files you downloaded from Google Photos (to a pc, I'm assuming).

Use TeraCopy to copy the files to your phone. TeraCopy will restore both original 'creation' and 'modified' dates of the files copied.

There's a gallery app for Android called QuikPic that let's you restore the date from the one reported in the exif of the image, if it has one. Works pretty good, but the first method has worked way better for me.

I've tried copying with TeraCopy but it still uses today's date for date created, is there any way it can restore the date of the file?

2 hours ago, TT888 said:

Is the software that you use to veiw them on your phone using the EXIF data to find the dates that appear to be from that day?

I think it uses the date created, which is the day I download it from Google Photos.

1 hour ago, Freshby69 said:

It can't go back in time if that's the date of the files saved on the computer. It doesn't change the date while copying, TeraCopy won't work if the photos from google themselves have the date changed. I've tried to download a photo from Google Photos and it overwrites the date indeed.

Make sure to select 'No date adjustment' in the 'Time Difference' tab (I know, it's counterintuitive, but this actually changes the EXIF date, and we don't want that)

Under the 'Options' tab, check ''Preserve original modification date', 'Use file created if no date taken', 'Set file created date to taken date' and uncheck 'Rename files to:'

It creates a copy of the photo instead of modifying it, so you can try to batch the process if you want.

Make sure to copy the photos with the correct date with TeraCopy, otherwise, the modified and creation date will change as soon as the file gets created on the phone.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

On 7/22/2020 at 1:37 PM, Parideboy said:

For some reason TeraCopy doesn't work when transferring to a phone through a usb cable, is there any other way to copy and preserve the date?

16 hours ago, Freshby69 said:

For some reason TeraCopy doesn't work when transferring to a phone through a usb cable, is there any other way to copy and preserve the date?

That's a restriction with the MTP protocol. Windows sees it as a media device, not a tradition 'mass storage device'. Try to copy a photo and see if the date changes.

If it is an Android phone and has a MicroSd card, you can try using an adapter (that's how I did). Once they are in the phone, you can move them across the storages (sd card, internal storage) no problem, the date won't change. Just make sure you move them, not copy.

If not, I'm out of ideas. Maybe copying them through the wifi using FileZilla might be a solution, but I don't know if it changes dates...