Ryzen 3700x Temps Reaching 60°-70°C While Browsing And Watching Videos

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

As long as the temperatures stay under 85 degrees, you CPU will be happy. Between 85 and around 90 degrees it will start to reduce the frequency of its cores in order to consume less power and therefore produce less heat and cool down gradually if the cooler/fan does its job.  if the temperature stays high it will eventually shut down.

Your motherboard seems to adjust fan speed dynamically keeping your cpu around that temperature. It does it to keep fan speed low, making your computer less noisy.

You can go in bios and see if there's a fan curve configurator, where you can adjust the minimum and maximum fan speeds versus temperature, to have your fan spin at faster speeds even when it's cold enough.

Hi/peace,

I built my first PC 7-8 months ago in winter, at that time its temperature was between 35-50°C Max, now in summer it reaches 45-70°C Max while browsing & watching videos, I did a test with Cinebench & Prime 95 for approximately 30 minutes or more, with Cinebech it reaches 60-70°C Max & with prime 95 it reached 60-79°C Max, is it safe

Some opinions are in the favor of undervolting it, while others say it's not a good idea, Ryzen 7 3700x meant to be like that, leave it as it is!!

Please guide me, I am afraid!!!

Thank you.

Annotation 2020-07-21 125925.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) | GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX 5700 XT | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Monitor: BenQ EX2780Q | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

10 hours ago, Detective said:

is it safe

yea, idle temps dont really matter as long as load temps are good.

also use hwinfo64 or ryzen master to monitor ryzen temps correctly, and hwmonitor is broken and is not really accurate.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Perhaps try increasing the CPU fan speed? it's quite slow imo, unless you're trying to have a quite build.

My Waifu:

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB
  • GPU
    MSI RTX 2060 Ventus XS OC
  • Case
    Cougar MX330
  • Storage
    Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
    Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
    Hitachi 2 TB
  • PSU
    Corsair 750W RM750x

24 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

yea, idle temps dont really matter as long as load temps are good.

also use hwinfo64 or ryzen master to monitor ryzen temps correctly, and hwmonitor is broken and is not really accurate.

Thanks for the reply & information, Ryzen master showing 40-45°C Max & Hwinfo64 showing:

Annotation 2020-07-21 145852.jpg

I am not familiar with Hwinfo64, can you please tell me which one I've to worry about?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) | GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX 5700 XT | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo | Monitor: BenQ EX2780Q | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

10 hours ago, Detective said:

which one I've to worry about?

your temps are more than fine, as i said idle temps dont matter as long as load temps are fine.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

As long as the temperatures stay under 85 degrees, you CPU will be happy. Between 85 and around 90 degrees it will start to reduce the frequency of its cores in order to consume less power and therefore produce less heat and cool down gradually if the cooler/fan does its job.  if the temperature stays high it will eventually shut down.

Your motherboard seems to adjust fan speed dynamically keeping your cpu around that temperature. It does it to keep fan speed low, making your computer less noisy.

You can go in bios and see if there's a fan curve configurator, where you can adjust the minimum and maximum fan speeds versus temperature, to have your fan spin at faster speeds even when it's cold enough.

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If temps are fine, I would prefer it the way it is, I've 5 fans in my PC case, its already noisy enough!

2 hours ago, Detective said:

Hi/peace,

I built my first PC 7-8 months ago in winter, at that time its temperature was between 35-50°C Max, now in summer it reaches 45-70°C Max while browsing & watching videos, I did a test with Cinebench & Prime 95 for approximately 30 minutes or more, with Cinebech it reaches 60-70°C Max & with prime 95 it reached 60-79°C Max, is it safe

Some opinions are in the favor of undervolting it, while others say it's not a good idea, Ryzen 7 3700x meant to be like that, leave it as it is!!

Please guide me, I am afraid!!!

Thank you.

Annotation 2020-07-21 125925.jpg

This is normal for Ryzen. Ryzen doesn't downclock during low usage like intel does, so it's always running at high speeds regardless of load, which produces more heat. Also because of the 7nm process used by Ryzen 3000 chips, the dye is physically very small so the heat is concentrated in a smaller point under the IHS, making these chips extra hard to cool, including under load.

2 hours ago, ZzLy said:

This is normal for Ryzen. Ryzen doesn't downclock during low usage like intel does, so it's always running at high speeds regardless of load, which produces more heat. Also because of the 7nm process used by Ryzen 3000 chips, the dye is physically very small so the heat is concentrated in a smaller point under the IHS, making these chips extra hard to cool, including under load.

That's simply not true. If you set the right profile in your control panel (ex. Ryzen balanced), the cpu will lower the frequencies as needed.

In fact Ryzen processors are BETTER than Intel processor, as they have better "granularity" or whatever is called, basically they can switch more often within each second compared to Intel processors. Kind of like if Intel processors need 25 ms to jump from 1 Ghz to 4 ghz, the newest Ryzen may need 4 ms or 10ms to do that.

Also if you look at the picture you actually quote , you can see that the processors already does that. His cores consume an average of 1.3w (10.28w / 8 cores = 1.3w) at the moment the picture was taken.  A core doesn't consume so little power at the peak frequency, so obviously his cpu idles at lower frequencies.

@Detective you have two fans that are running at 2800 something rpm .. .chances are those fans run at 100% pointlessly making too much noise.  I'd suggest maybe moving them to headers that allow you to control rpm speed (if any available)

Maybe revisit how you placed the fans, how the air moves ... on most cases it makes most sense to have 1-2 fans in front of the case sucking air into the case and blowing it towards the video card and cpu. Then, have fans pulling air out the case on the back of case and top of case. Warm air will rise and get out.

Also a completely optional thing... The cpu is probably configured on auto voltage... i see there voltages for cores at 1.41v, 1.44v

The default voltages are acceptable but may be pointlessly set too high, making the cores consume a bit more power than needed.

If the bios has an option to set a voltage offset, maybe see how your cpu behaves with a 25-50mV offset ( - 0.05v offset) .. basically instead of 1.41v, it would run at 1.36v

Depending on the quality of the silicon, the cpu could run perfectly fine as if nothing changed but you get cooler cpu (or same temperature but fans spinning at lower rpm because they don't need to run as fast to keep the cpu at that temperature level).

If you're a bit less lucky, the cpu won't be able to reach that peak 4.2 ghz or whatever and peak to 4.1 ghz or 4.0 ghz and you'll get maybe less than 1% performance loss.

13 hours ago, mariushm said:

@Detective you have two fans that are running at 2800 something rpm .. .chances are those fans run at 100% pointlessly making too much noise.  I'd suggest maybe moving them to headers that allow you to control rpm speed (if any available)

Maybe revisit how you placed the fans, how the air moves ... on most cases it makes most sense to have 1-2 fans in front of the case sucking air into the case and blowing it towards the video card and cpu. Then, have fans pulling air out the case on the back of case and top of case. Warm air will rise and get out.

Also a completely optional thing... The cpu is probably configured on auto voltage... i see there voltages for cores at 1.41v, 1.44v

The default voltages are acceptable but may be pointlessly set too high, making the cores consume a bit more power than needed.

If the bios has an option to set a voltage offset, maybe see how your cpu behaves with a 25-50mV offset ( - 0.05v offset) .. basically instead of 1.41v, it would run at 1.36v

Depending on the quality of the silicon, the cpu could run perfectly fine as if nothing changed but you get cooler cpu (or same temperature but fans spinning at lower rpm because they don't need to run as fast to keep the cpu at that temperature level).

If you're a bit less lucky, the cpu won't be able to reach that peak 4.2 ghz or whatever and peak to 4.1 ghz or 4.0 ghz and you'll get maybe less than 1% performance loss.

Thanks for the informative reply, really appreciate it, these are not 2 but 5 fans connected via a 4 pin header & if they run at full speed, they are super noisy. Regarding the fan setup, I've 2 front, 1 bottom, 1 rear & 1 at top.

About the optional thingy, I've no prior knowledge regarding this, I've to read more & watch a lot of videos but what I learned & understood so far is I should leave it as it is, for example:

1.325V is not safe for zen 2.