how to remove graphics card?

Hi guys.

Well I pushed that plastic holder/retension clip towards motherboard but nothing happens.

How do I remove graphics card?

I'm on Crosshair Hero VIII.

On my Formula VIII I just push plastic holder and hold graphics card towards me and it simply pops out.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

push plastic holder till it goes back all the way and then pull.

make sure it's not screwed into the case.

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

its not tension help or loaded. Once you release it, you have to physically pull the card out of the PCIE slot. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

push plastic holder till it goes back all the way and then pull.

make sure it's not screwed into the case.

I did that but it simply won't pop out.

I'm affraid of pushing hard and breaking retension clip.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

its not tension help or loaded. Once you release it, you have to physically pull the card out of the PCIE slot. 

Don't understand...

once you remove the screws securing the card to the case, release the lever on the PCIE slot, then take and pull the card out.. its that simple. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

once you remove the screws securing the card to the case, release the lever on the PCIE slot, then take and pull the card out.. its that simple. 

I did that but card won't pop out of the pcie slot.

When I press the lever nothing happens.

Maybe I need to push harder?

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

I did that but card won't pop out of the pcie slot.

When I press the lever nothing happens.

Maybe I need to push harder?

you should feel a feed back to know it released on the finger you are pressing it with. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

you should feel a feed back to know it released on the finger you are pressing it with. 

I'm not pressing with finger.I use piece of plastic.

Just now, frozensun said:

regardless, you should feel it give when it releases. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, frozensun said:

I see retension clip doesn't have same mechanism like in my z170 board.

Is it possible that card is somehow stuck between position that is IN and OUT?

Thx guys.

But really it won't pop out. :(

Is there a video how to remove card from slot (newer ones)?

45 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Thx guys.

But really it won't pop out. :(

Is there a video how to remove card from slot (newer ones)?

But... theres sometimes this: even if the clip is open, in some combos of gpu +mobo+case the card will "stick" due to slight product tolerances.

Often the cause is the 2 (for a 2 slot thickness card) "lips"(dont know the proper word sorry, they are the 2 metal protrusions) at the bottom of the pcie bracket of the gpu (opposite of where you put the screws in), they fall into openings of the case (just alongside the far back side of the motherboard).

Sometimes when fully inserted, due to minor variances and slight 0.001m misalignment (due to product variances, even if inserted correctly) they shift the card ever so slitly up/down/left/right. End result = the connector part is now under some little tension, and often a symptom is the connectors on the backside of the gpu being "closer than nice" against the metal bars (between the openings of the pcie brackets things) of the case.

Often this minor jam took a little force, but the catch is you dont notice, as its tightned during screwing down the card into final position, so theres no "feel" to it. 

But its very noticable when taking out, sometimes it wont budge at all, the slot clip wont even move or open, or it does open and shift the card up a few mm, and thr card can wiggle a bit but is stuck from there. (I had this recently and it took me 2 sessions of about 20 minutes of carefull fiddling and a lot of cursing to get it out).

1st thing to do is to get the clip open!

If not, it *will* break during removal. 

The far end of the card should come up even if its just 1 or 2 mm.

If it wont open, try pushing the card down at the position of the clip - likely the clip is (partially) open and you just dont know. If pushing down gives a slight click or movement you know the clip is at least budging - then, (using fingers preferably for having feeling), push the clip down firmly to open.

Once open its wiggle time, alternating gentle pulls between the long side ends (so pciebracket side and the opposite side) carefull, patience, look, be gentle but firm, patience patience patience! 

Take a break if needed, dont get frustrated to much.

Sometimes it can help looking at the backside of case, to see if these metal lids are in their appropriate slots, sometimes once the card is moving a little pushing them out on the other side can help.

9 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

But... theres sometimes this: even if the clip is open, in some combos of gpu +mobo+case the card will "stick" due to slight product tolerances.

Often the cause is the 2 (for a 2 slot thickness card) "lips"(dont know the proper word sorry, they are the 2 metal protrusions) at the bottom of the pcie bracket of the gpu (opposite of where you put the screws in), they fall into openings of the case (just alongside the far back side of the motherboard).

Sometimes when fully inserted, due to minor variances and slight 0.001m misalignment (due to product variances, even if inserted correctly) they shift the card ever so slitly up/down/left/right. End result = the connector part is now under some little tension, and often a symptom is the connectors on the backside of the gpu being "closer than nice" against the metal bars (between the openings of the pcie brackets things) of the case.

Often this minor jam took a little force, but the catch is you dont notice, as its tightned during screwing down the card into final position, so theres no "feel" to it. 

But its very noticable when taking out, sometimes it wont budge at all, the slot clip wont even move or open, or it does open and shift the card up a few mm, and thr card can wiggle a bit but is stuck from there. (I had this recently and it took me 2 sessions of about 20 minutes of carefull fiddling and a lot of cursing to get it out).

1st thing to do is to get the clip open!

If not, it *will* break during removal. 

The far end of the card should come up even if its just 1 or 2 mm.

If it wont open, try pushing the card down at the position of the clip - likely the clip is (partially) open and you just dont know. If pushing down gives a slight click or movement you know the clip is at least budging - then, (using fingers preferably for having feeling), push the clip down firmly to open.

Once open its wiggle time, alternating gentle pulls between the long side ends (so pciebracket side and the opposite side) carefull, patience, look, be gentle but firm, patience patience patience! 

Take a break if needed, dont get frustrated to much.

Sometimes it can help looking at the backside of case, to see if these metal lids are in their appropriate slots, sometimes once the card is moving a little pushing them out on the other side can help.

Seems to me this card will be stuck here forever.

I really don't want to break retension clip and damage the expensive board. :(

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Seems to me this card will be stuck here forever.

I really don't want to break retension clip and damage the expensive board. :(

I understand, and your not alone, sometimes this happens and its not always as easy as above posters make it seem (even thouh its rare, just had it twice happen in 30 years).

Note that the clip rotates up when inserting, so rotation down (to the right) is needed to push it open (just pushing straigth down gives little force to the openjng mechanism).

You said you used somethjng plastic, do try with fingers, gives much more feel.

And i understand you dont want to break the clip, but a little firm force (rotating outward and then oushing down) can be needed (depending on the mechanism, it not only remkves the lock part from the card but also lifts the card uo on that side for 1 or 2mm.

Sometimes it can help to reduce pressure on the clip by getting the pcie backside up a little (even just a nail between the case and the backcover can be enough to slightly tilt the car so that the bracket side is up a tiniest bit and the clip side down, reducing tension on the lock).

And again, you are not alone, last time i had this it took me about a hour of sweating (rtx asus strix was stuck in z170k board, also didnt want to break that gpu for sure lol).

I press this latch but for some reason it doesn't go all the way down and release the card from slot like the card is glued to the slot :/

IMG_20200719_155645.jpg

I have 2 options:

1. To call a guy who built 1000 of computers for tommorow and I suppose he would remove it in a breeze but what if HE breaks it??

2.leave the card in but this is the card for testing and very weak one,and it would be shame to pair it with 3900x.

While I wanted to install the card sadly I damaged the board with that metal that hold the card in slot..

I did few of the tiny scars on that plastic shroud thst covers sound card.

Would that void the warranty?

Just watched the video,he removed it so easily.

Probably I'll have to apply a bit more force and push the retension clip but last time I did it I broke it so anxiety is overwhelming.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Just watched the video,he removed it so easily.

Probably I'll have to apply a bit more force and push the retension clip but last time I did it I broke it so anxiety is overwhelming.

If the retention clip is open it should be doable.

If you can wait for it, asking the experienced builder might be the best option fow now, chances he breaks it should be slim if hes realy that experienced,

Onyl you can decide 

7 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

If the retention clip is open it should be doable.

If you can wait for it, asking the experienced builder might be the best option fow now, chances he breaks it should be slim if hes realy that experienced,

Onyl you can decide 

this retension clip is steel reinforced or?Look at my pic.

I see this piece of steel on slot 1 and 2.

Maybe it can't be broken hmm...I just assume.

Yeah I'll wait for him...don't want to risk.

Guys thank you for help.

This is the furthest I can push towards me.

I think the tension is in the upper left corner and for some reason unknown to me,card is stuck there (pictures).

IMG_20200719_165547.jpg

IMG_20200719_165740.jpg

Instead of posting your problem over like 5 posts, can you condense it down to a few sentences?

Just looked at the other side of the case..

Here is what I noticed (metal brackets from the card).

Do I need to push them too?

IMG_20200719_174430.jpg