Kingston VS Samsung

ILIKEBEEZ

Hi guys. I am looking to get a kingston drive. I am wondering how much life i caan expect to get out of it. I use my pc 6 hours a day for gaming, web surfing, etc. 6 days a week. I would like to get 3 years out of it. Tell me if it can last for three years. I dont plan to be downloading and writing files to it very often. If it cant hold up for three years then ima go with samsung.

"Kingston drive" doesn't say much. You need to say what drive it is

I've had drives from a great variety of manufacturers and never had one fail 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Check warranty period, 3+ years it's very unlikely to fail in that time period. You definitely don't have to worry about the amount of data you're writing to it with listed use case.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

16 minutes ago, Chabax said:

any ssd will last minimum 3 years, doesnt matter brand

Um, no? Perfect example, the Samsung 840 Pro was released October of 2012. Mine still works to this day, with 20TB of writes. It lives in an audio recording PC.

EDIT: Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying. I thought you were saying SSD's don't last past three years. I still don't understand though.

31 minutes ago, Chabax said:

any ssd will last minimum 3 years, doesnt matter brand

14 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Um, no? Perfect example, the Samsung 840 Pro was released October of 2012. Mine still works to this day, with 20TB of writes. It lives in an audio recording PC.

EDIT: Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying. I thought you were saying SSD's don't last past three years. I still don't understand though.

You are misunderstanding, but that's OK cause I'll clarify. "last a minimum of x years" means the drive should last at least 3 years at the minimum.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

20 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You are misunderstanding, but that's OK cause I'll clarify. "last a minimum of x years" means the drive should last at least 3 years at the minimum.

That makes more sense. My English ain't all that great lol 😅

On 7/19/2020 at 5:46 AM, kirashi said:

It depends on the software you use (Firefox's cache used to needlessly hammer ssds and it was bad for budget drives), size (smaller drives will have "empty" cells overwritten more often), type of flash and how the firmware manages it (some drives do not fill all memory cells completely until they reach a certain threshold of used capacity, so they may wear them less and perform better until the drive starts to fill up).

In the budget area kingston is probably a better option but i have had issues for a decade with their hardware, so i usually push for a higher budget if possible and recommend them as a last resort if budget crucial is not available and/or more expensive.

People get all fired up about smr hdds, but this has been happening for a while in the industry. I had a kinston v300 or sv300 (forgot the name) and a friend had the same model name but two years newer. He had more wear on his even though he used it around two hours a day and some days he wouldn't even turn the machine on and mine was on almost 24/7 with the browser upwards of 50 tabs. It was a model they were known to have changed the internals for. I also had a hyper x (it was supposed to be a higher tier model of theirs) in a laptop that was mostly sleeping or was off for more then a week at a time and that had more wear on it than the older v or sv i had.

Edited by LauRoman
A few clarifications in the last paragraph.