Romer G switch replacement?

Go to solution Solved by Cthulhu Calamari,

In the end I just got a Corsair K70 with the sweet, sweet Cherry Blues, which I've wanted for a while anyway, and I couldn't be happier.

As a bonus, because Intelcom is such a shitty courier service, I got a discount on the new keyboard from the retailer, and Logitech - who were unable to service my old Romer G keyboard - offered me 30% off my next purchase from their online store, which is good until next January, so... I guess it kind of sorted itself out in the end...

And I didn't even have to buy a soldering iron that I'd only use once!

Huzzah!

I have a Logitech K840 I've been using at work for almost 2 years now, and I noticed the "s" key would often cause multiple inputs recently. I thought it was my USB hub dying, but it turns out the switch in the "s" has come loose in the faceplate. (It appears that one of the little tabs that holds it in place broke.) Now that I know to look for it I can see the "s" occasionally sit at a slight angle.

It was around $100 (CAD) new, and I have an OK electronics tool set (not a nice iFixit one; they didn't have shipping deals to Canada at the time), so if it's not too much hassle I might fix it, but Romer G fixes appear to be a pain in the ass from what I've seen quickly searching online. (Apparently there's soldering involved?)

Should I give that a try, or just get a new keyboard? (Real talk: I'm never buying another keyboard with anything other than Cherry's from now on.)

If i were in your place, I would replace the key and continue using the keyboard. If you cannot get your hands on a replacement key, then reuse one of the other keys on your motherboard that are not frequently used, maybe the "Pause/break" key. 

However soldering and desoldering will be required and its never to late or too early to learn how to do it. It not that big a deal. What do you have to loose as you are ok with buying a new keyboard.

If you want to replace the switch, you'll just have to desolder and then solder on two pins. It's simple through hole soldering, anyone with a basic soldering iron can do it. 

47 minutes ago, Cthulhu Calamari said:

Real talk: I'm never buying another keyboard with anything other than Cherry's from now on

Cherry switches are among the worse switch options, and have been for some time. Gateron, Kailh, Outemu and Durock all have better options. 

:)

4 hours ago, Cthulhu Calamari said:

Real talk: I'm never buying another keyboard with anything other than Cherry's from now on

Why? Have you tried any other brands of switches apart from RomerG? If you haven’t, try them and I think you’ll find that Cherries are some of the worst choices you can make in the modern keyboard world. 

That's only one of the problems with keyboards today: Too many people trust in a brand just because they know too many people who use the same brand.

Sadly, the "modern keyboard world" has lost many good switches, like Alps (although Matias still produces clones today) and the original pre-Model M Buckling Spring switches (unless you like small keyboards at a hefty price).

Write in C.

For the record, I've been using a Logitech G610 with Cherry Browns for the past 4 years at home, and it's the best keyboard I've ever used. I'm not just going off marketing hype. I legit love how it functions.

My problem with trying other keys is that I'm a lawyer, and my work keyboard is very heavily used, and the downtime in switching if I don't like it is best avoided if possible. I took recommendations on trying Romer Gs, and while I don't hate them, they are not something I'm ever buying again. As noted, if I can do the replacement in under 30 minutes, I'd be fine continuing to use the current Romers, but anything past that & I'm switching and not looking back. Although, if people can vouch for Kailhs or something, that really does open up the available options for me when it comes to 'in stock' keyboards in Van.

One other consideration: I'm not buying a soldering iron just for this; are there recommendations for a rental in Van?

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I just got a Corsair K70 with the sweet, sweet Cherry Blues, which I've wanted for a while anyway, and I couldn't be happier.

As a bonus, because Intelcom is such a shitty courier service, I got a discount on the new keyboard from the retailer, and Logitech - who were unable to service my old Romer G keyboard - offered me 30% off my next purchase from their online store, which is good until next January, so... I guess it kind of sorted itself out in the end...

And I didn't even have to buy a soldering iron that I'd only use once!

Huzzah!