Enough Power 780ti?

hatycat

So I have a kind of crappy 700W OCZ 80+ PSU, that I was orignally ugrading with the purchase of an R9 290, but unfortuanately litecoin miners decided to go and ruin AMD for everybody. And then I waited 70 days dealing wtih dell's horrible customer service, becuase they were the last ones to have it at MSRP. Anyway TL;DR I cancelled that order, and am just going to say screw it and buy a 780ti. problem is I can not afford a new PSU and a 780ti.

So I run a year old OCZ 700w 80%+ psu (year old cause capacitor aging might be a thing) and I already have a 8350 running 4.8ghz at around 1.5V, a pump and 10 noctua fans. Will the PSU support a 780ti? PSU calculators say I am good, but I never understood if they took efficency into account or not.

Well the efficiency of your power supply will only effect the longevity of the parts internally as they supply that much power. Plus your electric bill will be higher with a lower efficiency PSU but not something you should notice. That should plenty for a single 780ti, but watch out if you plan on expanding (SLI, intel cpu, etc...).

Wow, thanks for the fast replies everyone/ I knew it would be enough for a 780ti, it's just I was not sure, considering my 8350 OCd is  a huge power hog. And I have a lot of other crap.

Fine. Even tho i would upgrade it. (the PSU) 

I definately will eventually.

Definitely enough, take a look at this basically showing how little wattage you actually need contrary to popular belief.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Which 780 Ti are you buying and what do you intend to do with it? Without knowing this, I am dismayed everyone is just going by wattage for a reference, voltage locked 780 Ti.

Wait all the reference cards are voltage locked? Damn nvidea...

Anyway I am going to slap a waterblock on it and OC as much as possible, but if hit a PSU bottleneck I can work with stock speeds, until I can afford a new PSU.

Every 780 Ti you can buy, save the EVGA Classified and Classified Kingpin Edition, is voltage locked to 1.212V max. Do you have a wattmeter? If so, measure usage as it is now at CPU load- I bet that 8350 at 1.5V is consuming a lot more than you would expect. Then account for the card you wish to use- give it 300 to 350W if stuck at 1.212v. Remember to account for PSU efficiency when looking at the wattmeter readings.

Balls, I am okay running everything at stock till PSU is upgraded, then I can switch to custom BIOS and OC my brain, out.  Unfortuanately I do not have access to a wattmeter, else I would have already done that. I have no doubt in my mind that my 8350 is sipping power like crazy.  I wonder how different a stock 780ti could be in power though, compared to the 7870 I am currently running at 1.3volts.

Edit: meant no doubt.

A 700W PSU is plenty for any single video card setup.  Now whether or not your particular PSU is up to the challenge I can't say but if it is functioning properly it should have no trouble with a single 780Ti.  Add another and you'll want more power for sure...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

You can run a 780ti and an overclocked i5 with a 450w psu.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Again, you can't just say that without knowing what card and setup one is running. My single 780Ti setup consumes close to 800w when benching and with 2 cards I have crossed over 1250-1300w at times.

That's not right....

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Please do not quote that video to me as fact, I have already made my points clear about it in another thread. As far as saying my numbers are not right- do you know what happens if you overvolt a GPU? It can consume much more than its rated TDP.