Son's Gaming Rig

Budget (including currency): $1000-1200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly for gaming. Fortnite & Call of Duty mostly. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Probably just going to play on 1080p right now, might upgrade to 1440p later down the road. This is just the budget for the PC itself nothing else. I have done an AMD parts list and an Intel parts list. I know Intel is better for gaming but want the best bang for the buck which has me leaning towards AMD. I've mainly built computers for work but do I need Windows Pro for home. 

2nd one is the better choice. With the 1st, you are buying into a dead platform with no upgradeablity

1 minute ago, mgibsonsign said:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card

How much is a 5700? Should perform better.

1 minute ago, mgibsonsign said:

Bad case, has no airflow. Swap it for a Phanteks P300a. 

The AMD one is good. Intel 9th gen is a dead end.

You probably don't need to spend that much money on windows 10.

- you can buy a key in ebay, cheap $10 key would do.

- you can leave the windows unactivated, there's no penalty with this, except a horrible watermark, everything else should work, including updates.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

i recommend going amd because its confirmed that b450 supports 4000 series cpus and lga1151 is already outdated  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

10 minutes ago, mgibsonsign said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly for gaming. Fortnite & Call of Duty mostly. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Probably just going to play on 1080p right now, might upgrade to 1440p later down the road. This is just the budget for the PC itself nothing else. I have done an AMD parts list and an Intel parts list. I know Intel is better for gaming but want the best bang for the buck which has me leaning towards AMD. I've mainly built computers for work but do I need Windows Pro for home. 

no you dont need windows pro for home.

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

For $1200, here's what I'd recommend:

^ if your son plans on streaming, you could swap out the 5700XT for a 2060 Super, as the hardware encoder on that is better than the one on the 5700XT. Also, for the Windows license, you could get a cheap key off of eBay, and I'd rather suggest doing that than sacrifing on the hardware.

The 9700K is a bad purchase today as there are better options both from AMD (Zen 2/Ryzen 3000) and Intel (Comet Lake/10th gen).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

windows keys are $10 on ebay

Or you could just download it and live with a watermark for the rest of your life, knowing that it has saved you $10 and from breaking the End User License Agreement

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I'd advise against getting the Crucial P2 for a boot drive, as it's DRAMless.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

29 minutes ago, mgibsonsign said:

Get the build @Mateyyysuggested. Intel's 1151 platform is dead and buried. No point in investing into an obsolete and inferior platform.

26 minutes ago, mgibsonsign said:

Dont get that mobo. I would suggest the b550 tomahawk as a better option. Apart from that looks good. Or go with the one @Mateyyy suggested as another option.

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

13 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

Dont get that mobo. I would suggest the b550 tomahawk as a better option. Apart from that looks good. Or go with the one @Mateyyy suggested as a cheaper option.

Wouldn't a X570 with the gen 4 chipset be better in the future than the B550?

7 minutes ago, mgibsonsign said:

Not really. Anyway thats a really shitty X570 board. if you want to get x570 you should go for a better one which is around the $200 range. Honestly you will be fine with b550 and b450. (With this budget its better to spend less on the mobo and more on the GPU and CPU-especially if its just for gaming)

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

8 minutes ago, mgibsonsign said:

With B550 boards and a Zen 2 CPU you'll have enough PCIe 4.0 lanes to run a graphics card at the full 16x bandwidth and an NVMe PCIe 4.0 drive. From the chipset you're getting four PCIe 3.0 lanes, whereas with X570 you're getting eight 4.0 lanes from the chipset as well as a little more IO (particularly USB 3.2).

For the average user, the difference between X570 and B550 is pretty much unnoticeable.

24 minutes ago, mgibsonsign said:

If you really want to go with X570, get a Prime X570-P, TUF X570-Plus or X570 Aorus Elite in that price bracket. MSI's low to mid range X570 boards (except for the X570 Tomahawk) are really poor in terms of their power delivery.

Also, you'll want to add in a couple intakes in the front of the P300A, as it only comes with a single 120mm fan by default.

And for only $10 more I'd get the 3600MHz CL16 memory kit, just to get the most out of the 3600.