Need advice on budget build CPU option.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

I built my brother in law a very budget minded system with a HDD only and a Ryzen 3. Although it takes awhile to boot, load times weren't still weren't horrendous. SSD's DO make the overall system experience feel 'snappier' though.

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Well, getting a new computer and having to wait around for it to just boot isn't exactly a great experience. And it's not just the boot time, it's the time it takes to load applications in general, and in terms of the overall snappiness, the difference between an SSD and HDD is night and day.

Regardless, I do admit that the wording might not have been the best on my part, but I still think that not having an SSD in this day and age is far from ideal.

Of course ssd is really nice to have, but I would rather drop the ssd and buy better cpu, gpu, psu or case when the budget is really limited.

5 minutes ago, Gaires said:

Of course ssd is really nice to have, but I would rather drop the ssd and buy better cpu, gpu, psu or case when the budget is really limited.

I understand...IMO, a ssd (especially if it's a m.2) is easier to install than a new CPU down the road 馃槂

edit: I built my wife a PC about 6 months ago and found a veseky (I think that's the brand) 120 gb m.2 ssd for like $15聽USD to serve as the boot drive. Although its a 'cheap' SSD, it takes about 5 seconds to boot up compared to the 30 my bro-in-laws takes with a HDD.

3 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Have you ever tried using Windows 10 on a mechanical hard drive?

This.

I was using a 5400rpm hdd to boot of of for 3 years. I鈥檇 turn in my laptop, walk away for about 3 minutes and come back and only then would it boot into windows. Opening most files took upwards of 20seconds.聽

for all modern builds, a SSD is a must.聽