GPU ot full system?

Gastarbeiter

So hear me out. I have a system that has a core i7 6700k, 16GB ram, Radeon Vega 56, XFX 750W PSU.
I use it for gaming (duh) at 1440p, general office work and web browsing and engineering work (CAD, Simulations). Engineering work tasks benefit both from closk speeds (CAD) and from core count (CFD, FEA)

My options are:
1. Go for a new GPU now, looking for a 5700xt (preferably as my monitor is freesync) or 2070 super and postpone building a new system for a couple of years.

2. Wait until new GPUs are out and look for the 5700xt/2070 super equivalents and postpone building a new system for a couple of years. As my system is PCIe gen 3 and the cpu is 5-6 years old now I am a bit worried about bottlenecking the GPU.

3. Go for a full system based on Ryzen 3 (won't really have the budget for it this year but I might be able to sort something out). In this case only the SSDs and the PSU would be salvagable.

What would you guys recommend?

2 minutes ago, Gastarbeiter said:

So hear me out. I have a system that has a core i7 6700k, 16GB ram, Radeon Vega 56, XFX 750W PSU.
I use it for gaming (duh) at 1440p, general office work and web browsing and engineering work (CAD, Simulations). Engineering work tasks benefit both from closk speeds (CAD) and from core count (CFD, FEA)

My options are:
1. Go for a new GPU now, looking for a 5700xt (preferably as my monitor is freesync) or 2070 super and postpone building a new system for a couple of years.

2. Wait until new GPUs are out and look for the 5700xt/2070 super equivalents and postpone building a new system for a couple of years. As my system is PCIe gen 3 and the cpu is 5-6 years old now I am a bit worried about bottlenecking the GPU.

3. Go for a full system based on Ryzen 3 (won't really have the budget for it this year but I might be able to sort something out). In this case only the SSDs and the PSU would be salvagable.

What would you guys recommend?

I wouldn't upgrade the CPU yet, the 6700k (especially when overclocked to 4.6 ghz +) is still a totally valid CPU for gaming. 1440p will move the load to the GPU (just less demand on the CPU since FPS will be lower) so no reason to upgrade yet. I would think about upgrading in another 8-12 months.

I would wait for nvidia to drop RTX 3000 in a few months and try and pick up a second hand 2070 or a clearance sale on them or something. A 6700k will be fine with something like a 2070. Yes, you would get more FPS with a newer faster Intel chip, but it will be similar to a Ryzen 3000 if you can overclock it to the 4.6+ range. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

5 minutes ago, Gastarbeiter said:

for a 5700xt (preferably as my monitor is freesync) or 2070 super

I believe nvidia can now use freesync as well so there shouldnt be any issues with going either side

Just now, LIGISTX said:

would wait for nvidia to drop RTX 3000 in a few months and try and pick up a second hand 2070 or a clearance sale on them or something. A 6700k will be fine with something like a 2070.

New amd gpus are set to be released soon too

8 minutes ago, Gastarbeiter said:

As my system is PCIe gen 3 and the cpu is 5-6 years old now I am a bit worried about bottlenecking the GPU.

I doubt you will be bottlenecking your gpu with a 6700k, especially at 1440p where the load is on the gpu more than the cpu

Why are you actually wanting to upgrade? unless youre feeling you really must upgrade I would wait until new hardware is released for better price to performance.

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

Wait for Zen 3. The 6700K is pretty old and slower than a Ryzen 3 3300X. It's just not as goo as it used to be and there are plenty of games where it chokes

Thank you for your answers guys. The only reason I am even thinking to upgrade the CPU is potential bottlenecks with future GPUs and for increased core counts for engineering work.