Are all asus boards compatible

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
1 minute ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

OK, thanks I was hopeful but understandable. Basically this hot swap ability would have been a good thing for me because of the ssd in my school pc I could have plug and play the homework and just brought the ssd back to school and 3d printed the projects without  home pc - -> laptop - - >  school pc. Laptop not powerful enough to handle cad works... 

Sounds like a use case for a USB stick or external SSD.

Can all asus motherboards do what Mr Linus was experimenting? 

Or was it only for that spacific one? 

It would be amazing if a system was so swappable I can switch between my work hardware to my gaming-ware in a few seconds. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Hot swapping is a PCIe function that is rarely used.
If i remember the video correctly he even shows it not really working on that specific motherboard where the function is enabled.

Thus im having very little hope its do-able on others.

edit - some info to read: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/208767/does-pcie-hotplug-actually-work-in-practice

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Hot swapping is a PCIe function that is rarely used.
If i remember the video correctly he even shows it not really working on that specific motherboard where the function is enabled.

Thus im having very little hope its do-able on others.

OK, thanks I was hopeful but understandable. Basically this hot swap ability would have been a good thing for me because of the ssd in my school pc I could have plug and play the homework and just brought the ssd back to school and 3d printed the projects without  home pc - -> laptop - - >  school pc. Laptop not powerful enough to handle cad works... 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

1 minute ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah, but if I can do that I wouldn't have to buy those. 

A penny saved is a penny earned, as my dad would say.