GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) - cannot get Sound Blaster software to detect the sound chip

JayEee

I have installed the Sound Blaster driver from Gigabyte's site and the Xf5 icon appears in the system tray, when I click it, it says:

The current selected audio device is disabled, not present, not supported by the application, or has unplugged jack connection.

IT was working perfectly fine when I had Win10 1903, now it doesnt work in 2004.
I haven't changed any hardware, except for an MX KEYS keyboard (thats why I upgraded windows, Options software problems).
I have put in a support ticket but that could take 3-7 days.

I downloaded the software from Gigabytes site. I couldnt find newer software on the Sound Blaster site.
I now output to my LG Monitor, but I dont think that would make a difference.
The sound works perfectly, its just the utility that is playing up.
Pretty sure I have the latest BIOS, I'll check later.

As mentioned in Google search I disabled everything under sound in Device Man, uninstalled the driver, rebooted, and reinstalled the driver, to no avail.

Logi MX KEYS - high quality low profile membrane keyboard  - perfect for gaming imo 🙂

My first thought would be to check what output Windows Sound 'thingy' is outputting to; on occasion, I've had Win10 switch from my on-board to my monitor (which has no speakers) for no apparent reason...

Wait; I'mma rewind... have you got the Creative SB software to recognise that the X-fi MB5 is even on your 'board?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Tried changing it to Analog (same as before), but no luck.
Thanks anyway

Logi MX KEYS - high quality low profile membrane keyboard  - perfect for gaming imo 🙂

The problem is I can't check anything at all in the software, everything is greyed out

1 minute ago, JayEee said:

Tried changing it to Analog (same as before), but no luck.
Thanks anyway

Did you add the updated Realtek driver, too?  Sometimes you're required to add that first before you add the SB driver - I seem to remember having to do that for a X97 board that had the X-Fi MB3.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

Oh ok I'll try that

Sir you are a legend, it works now.

hmm the "Advanced Settings" tab in the XFi software is disabled when I selected my monitor as the output device, is that normal?

2 hours ago, JayEee said:

hmm the "Advanced Settings" tab in the XFi software is disabled when I selected my monitor as the output device, is that normal?

Pass... I use separate speakers.

I don't know that the X-Fi on those 'boards isn't just 'software mode' & as long as the Realtek 'card' shows up, you're good.

WHY NOT...?!

I used to use separate speakers too via analog, but I was hearing terrible low frequency earthing feedback/buzzing from those ports for some reason (I use a Logitech Z5500).
I got so fed up with the noise that I had to try a digital solution. The Z5500 works with SPDIF and that was fantastic, but it cuts out the secondary analog headphone input (from my media PC), so that was a useless solution.
...so desperate to get good sound quality I tried sending the audio to my monitor and the quality was fantastic, zero buzzing, but the speakers in the monitor were crap lol, way too much treble and very hollow. So I downloaded the manual for the LG monitor and discovered that it has a headphone output. I connected that output to the Z5000 audio input port... omg massive difference, super high quality sound. 

I guess the Gigabyte mobo simply needed a floating Audio PCB to avoid the earthing feedbak, very common problem on mobo chip based mainboards.

I'll bring this issue up when they respond, hopefully they will improve their products in that respect in future 👍 (if not already)
(I know some mobo's already have a risen Audio PCB, maybe this mobo was before that era)