windows 10 showing incorrect ram speed.

07_Sev
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
1 minute ago, 07_Sev said:

I've noticed windows taskmanager and cpu-z are both only detecting half of my actual ram speed(933Mhz. Is this normal.

That's the actual correct speed.

Long story short, you RAM runs at 933MHz, which is basically 'ticks per seconds'. Per tick it can transfer two things, meaning it's 1866MT/s (million transfers per second). Manufacturers market MT/s as Mhz (thus the 1866Mhz memory), but it's actually running at 933Mhz. Task Manager and CPU-Z show the correct speed.

Hello,

I'm walking against some peformance issues. First windows 10 didn't properly clock up my cpu to it's full base speed. After a regedit I mangaged to lock the clock at the base speed so turboing is gone I guess. However, now I've noticed windows taskmanager and cpu-z are both only detecting half of my actual ram speed(933Mhz. Is this normal. are there any known fixes? My setup is a AMD FX-8350 on an MSI 970 Gaming motherboard with 16gb of hyperX DDR3 RAM clocked at 1866Mhz in dual channel mode.

Of course I've done some googling and I found an old post on the forums saying this was normal behaviour, which I think is quite hard to believe. If this is normal behaviour could you please verify this?

1 minute ago, 07_Sev said:

I've noticed windows taskmanager and cpu-z are both only detecting half of my actual ram speed(933Mhz. Is this normal.

Long story short, you RAM runs at 933MHz, which is basically 'ticks per seconds'. Per tick it can transfer two things, meaning it's 1866MT/s (million transfers per second). Manufacturers market MT/s as Mhz (thus the 1866Mhz memory), but it's actually running at 933Mhz. Task Manager and CPU-Z show the correct speed.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

They are reporting the correct speeds. 'DDR' stands for Double Data Rate, so it runs at 2 clocks per cycle (or something like that, I don't know the exacts), which effectively doubles the actual speed.

Just now, minibois said:

Thanks for clarifying. I couldn't make that out of the forum post I saw earlier.