RTX 2080Ti SLI with Threadripper 2950x - Need help with SLI & PSU Wattage

Go to solution Solved by Haro,
2 minutes ago, hitme987 said:

can I do a NvLink/SLI setup with these 2 GPU's?

Technically yes.

But I wouldn't go with sli 

Doesn't scale well in games and has almost no performance benifits 

Unless you use a software that does 

But in games, it's really not worth it.

Will this PSU wattage be sufficient for my SLI setup

More than enough.

Will I shorten my PSU life if wattage hits 850-950W during gaming

No for the most part.

Hi folks,

My current PC parts are mentioned here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cvpyn7

I am trying to setup NVLink/SLI with RTX 2080ti and had the below doubts, would appreciate someone clarifying it out:

1) I have a Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Graphic card now and managed to grab INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI TWIN X2 at a good deal, can I do a NvLink/SLI setup with these 2 GPU's?

Zotac has 1665 Boost clock and Inno3d with 1545 boost clock, I'm assuming I have to run them both at 1545 Mhz if its compatible for a SLI which is fine.

2) My CPU is Ryzen Threadripper 2950x. PC partmaker and few other websites are suggesting estimated wattage of around 750-800W. I currently am using Coolmaster V1000 80+ Gold certified: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/v-series/v1000/

Will this PSU wattage be sufficient for my SLI setup? I'm not planning to OC GPU but I am running OC on CPU with Auto PBO setting and RAM is OC'ed. I also do have 4x 140mm, 4x 120mm fans, a fan controller installed in my Corsair 500R case.

My current consumption goes to 600-650W at the max during high fps gaming. 

4) Will I shorten my PSU life if wattage hits 850-950W during gaming? Can a PSU run at 80-90% load a few hours daily and function for 2-5 years ?

5) My current UPS (APC BR1500G) is rated 1500 VA/865W:  https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BR1500G/dp/B003Y24DEU

Will this be able to supply power upto 1000W? I really don't use it for backup purposes, I wouldn't want it to shut off power to CPU if it exceeds 865W. If it lasts even a few seconds its fine for me to shutdown PC manually.

Thanks!

can I do a NvLink/SLI setup with these 2 GPU's?

Technically yes.

But I wouldn't go with sli 

Doesn't scale well in games and has almost no performance benifits 

Unless you use a software that does 

But in games, it's really not worth it.

Will this PSU wattage be sufficient for my SLI setup

More than enough.

Will I shorten my PSU life if wattage hits 850-950W during gaming

No for the most part.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

The UPS will be alright for the most part. I used one of those when I had a 2950X and dual 1080 Tis. It did overload if I was folding with both GPUs and the CPU, but was fine when I cut it down to just GPUs. 

Thanks for your suggestions @TofuHaroto @Den-Fi.

@Den-Fi Does the UPS shutoff power to the CPU if it gets overloaded while its connected to current from wall? I really don't mind about backup purposes, I am worried about voltage fluctuations at my place and them not damaging my CPU.

3 hours ago, hitme987 said:

Thanks for your suggestions @TofuHaroto @Den-Fi.

@Den-Fi Does the UPS shutoff power to the CPU if it gets overloaded while its connected to current from wall? I really don't mind about backup purposes, I am worried about voltage fluctuations at my place and them not damaging my CPU.

I’d imagine if it was left like that it would. In the few times it happened to me, it sounded an alarm and I was able to stop it before anything happened.  

• 3 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 3:18 PM, hitme987 said:

Hi folks,

My current PC parts are mentioned here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cvpyn7

I am trying to setup NVLink/SLI with RTX 2080ti and had the below doubts, would appreciate someone clarifying it out:

1) I have a Zotac GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Graphic card now and managed to grab INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI TWIN X2 at a good deal, can I do a NvLink/SLI setup with these 2 GPU's?

Zotac has 1665 Boost clock and Inno3d with 1545 boost clock, I'm assuming I have to run them both at 1545 Mhz if its compatible for a SLI which is fine.

2) My CPU is Ryzen Threadripper 2950x. PC partmaker and few other websites are suggesting estimated wattage of around 750-800W. I currently am using Coolmaster V1000 80+ Gold certified: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/v-series/v1000/

Will this PSU wattage be sufficient for my SLI setup? I'm not planning to OC GPU but I am running OC on CPU with Auto PBO setting and RAM is OC'ed. I also do have 4x 140mm, 4x 120mm fans, a fan controller installed in my Corsair 500R case.

My current consumption goes to 600-650W at the max during high fps gaming. 

4) Will I shorten my PSU life if wattage hits 850-950W during gaming? Can a PSU run at 80-90% load a few hours daily and function for 2-5 years ?

5) My current UPS (APC BR1500G) is rated 1500 VA/865W:  https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BR1500G/dp/B003Y24DEU

Will this be able to supply power upto 1000W? I really don't use it for backup purposes, I wouldn't want it to shut off power to CPU if it exceeds 865W. If it lasts even a few seconds its fine for me to shutdown PC manually.

Thanks!

So did the sli configuration  work? I have the 2950x too and a 2080ti and im thinking of buying a second 2080ti in order to run the 2 gpus in sli? Some people say there are real benefits of using sli in many games, others say that sli is dead and gives you no real performance jump compared to a single gpu. What does really happen? Is it worth investing in a second gpu? I game at 2560x1440 p mostly and sometimes in 4k

19 minutes ago, OrestisKotopoulos said:

So did the sli configuration  work? I have the 2950x too and a 2080ti and im thinking of buying a second 2080ti in order to run the 2 gpus in sli? Some people say there are real benefits of using sli in many games, others say that sli is dead and gives you no real performance jump compared to a single gpu. What does really happen? Is it worth investing in a second gpu? I game at 2560x1440 p mostly and sometimes in 4k

Best to not Necro bump several month old threads like this. Would recommend you start your own with your own questions regarding this topic. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card