Microsoft experimenting with free version of Windows 8.1

AlexGoesHigh

All new OS's (and so did 7) have driver/compatibility problems. They are fixed pretty quickly. It isn't that they are lying, you just didn't run into the problem with the hardware you have, or you didn't adopt it as early. Those people might have tried it once, and said forget it.

I am sorry, I recall you calling Windows 8 having compatibility problems a few time recently, basically to anyone who asks about Windows 8.

So now they are fixed you say? So why do you continue to say this?

You see, you just hate Microsoft, just for hatting them, and now you are trying to pull back.

Well, I admire that you are taking a nice breath of fresh air and cooling off. I'll give you that.

Maybe now we can have more constructive arguments going on.

I tend to laugh at people who come up with these ridiculous "bugs" or "errors" or problems in general in Windows 8/8.1, when I do the same thing, and everything works perfectly fine?

Do people really just come up with crap to say about something even when they don't use it or?

Why is that so

I don't tend to laugh, I tend to sympathize with them. I see it every day at work. People having insane issues with program compatibility, OS corruption, OS slowing down on new computers with adequate hardware, wireless issues caused by Microsoft updates. I have seen more windows updates break things than fix them. Most of these computers are like new and running Windows 8/8.1

I have seen more windows 8.1 updates fail and kill the OS than I ever did Vista to 7 upgrades.

Every OS has issues but Microsoft has the worst tech support I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, so many people are switching to Apple because of these issues.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

the comic implies that windows 8 (the wheel) is superior to windows 7 (dragging it on the ground)

It's really an unfair comparison, it makes it look like windows 8 has every advantage over 7 so much so that using 7 is a bad experience etc and switching to 8 will solve your problems.

I think it portrays what I said. And I was talking about generally. I think its a human thing.

If I wanted to show what you are saying, I would have edited the comic by putting Windows 8 and 7 on top.

It was going with my statement "people want change, but hate change"

The comic was portraying how you have some people not giving a chance to new things.

I am sorry, I recall you calling Windows 8 having compatibility problems a few time recently. So now they are fixed you say?

I have said all new OS's have problems when they are new. They always have, they always will. Windows 7 did, 8 did, 9 will, Mac Os's do. Again, I am not saying Win 8.1 is "faulty". I am saying there is zero reason for me and others to upgrade. None of the "advancements" hold any allure for us. 

If the new OS doesn't offer anything I want, and as a new OS it is going to have the same problems all new OS's do? Why would I bother. Being a new adopter of an OS is never good if you have a livelihood that revolves around everything working well. It isn't on Mac OS or Windows. Most people wait awhile and let it all get sorted out.

The one thing Win 8 offers me, revolves around 1 game I no longer even play. A year from now if all the games use the memory tiling in the newest DirectX and Windows forced us to use 8 to get it? I will have it. Is that going to make me laud MS as the greatest company ever? No. Because I know all these games could be OpenGL and run on Linux and Win 7. MS is a business and their goal is to make money. I get it. It doesn't mean I have to love the "improvements" in Win 8. I will never use any of that fullscreen junk or the metro interface. Now when I can just have icons folders on my desktop and multitask at the same time.

MS movie makers etc? They have always sucked. I use Vegas. It blows my mind that MS can make such trash as far as applications compared to Apple Imovie etc. The newest notepad? Paint? It isn't like MS gives you all this great stuff, or even makes anything good outside a OS that everyone uses for their programs. Openshot on linux > anything MS ever put out. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I think it portrays what I said. And I was talking about generally. I think its a human thing.

If I wanted to show what you are saying, I would have edited the comic by putting Windows 8 and 7 on top.

It was going with my statement "people want change, but hate change"

The comic was portraying how you have some people not giving a chance to new things.

you don't have to edit it, that's the beauty of interpretation. How I see something may be different from you, that's how I saw it.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

you don't have to edit it, that's the beauty of interpretation. How I see something may be different from you, that's how I saw it.

Ah ok. Very true.

Well, just to be clear, that is was not the intention.

Ah ok. Very true.

Well, just to be clear, that is was not the intention.

kk :-)

Hail Sithis!

If I didn't have terrible dpc latency on windows 8 I'd be using it already. As for the fps increase everyone is talking about I believe there was a benchmark test run a while back showing that while windows 8 does indeed get a bit higher fps, windows 7 had the higher average fps so it's not much of an improvement. I'll be keeping my nice stutter free windows 7 until windows 9 rolls out and hopefully that doesn't have the dpc issue.

If someone were to offer me 2 780tis for free, but the catch was I had to run windows 8 I wouldn't do it. That's how much I hate the giant hulking mountain of shit that is windows 8.

then you sir are silly.

the catch was only run windows 8, not that you couldn't run windows 8 on a laptop or other device not housing the 780ti's.

The thing that would make windows 8 more palatable for me is proper touchpad gesture support. My laptops touchpad is just crippled by it. I have not seen any laptop that does it right.

Add proper gesture support for navigating the OS and then you have a product that I would enjoy.

One thing that OSX does right Is gesture support

i hated touchpads ever since i used one in the 90's , used a mac book pro with osx lion on it a few years ago and was blown away by how good it was, apple has it right when they went for touch gestures on a quality touchpad rather than going for touch on laptop/desktop.

Why are sources comparing this to chromeOS? Apart from the fact that both are free?

fps boost :D

1-2 frames maybe. And the loss of many games support on W8.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Not sure if I understand correctly, what does "Bing-powered" mean? Is it free just because there's preloaded bloatware (that can or can't eventually be removed)? Or are there limitations to the free version? I just read another article about services like Office being bundled in and that sounds great for $0.

If windows 8.1 becomes free there's literally no reason to NOT recommend it.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

Not sure if I understand correctly, what does "Bing-powered" mean? Is it free just because there's preloaded bloatware (that can or can't eventually be removed)? Or are there limitations to the free version? I just read another article about services like Office being bundled in and that sounds great for $0.

There will probably be a crap tonne of bloatware including a lightweight version of their Office suite but 8.1 is very bing oriented anyway, if you search and it's not found on your PC it'll do a bing search which is quite helpful when looking for programs after a fresh install of windows.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

There will probably be a crap tonne of bloatware including a lightweight version of their Office suite but 8.1 is very bing oriented anyway, if you search and it's not found on your PC it'll do a bing search which is quite helpful when looking for programs after a fresh install of windows.

Can that be disabled?

Can that be disabled?

I'm unsure, I've never tried to disable it but if you can't I'm sure someone's created a registry patch or something.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I go to university and Microsoft DreamSpark have window 8.1 pro for free. I think anyone at university can get free Microsoft OS pro version.

Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker  Mobo: Z77 sabertooth. CPU: 3770k @ 4.6ghz Ram: 16gbs corsair vengence GPU: EVGA gtx 680 Cooler: H100 PS: Corsair hx850 SSDs: 2x120gbs corsair and 1x250gbs Samsung 840, Sound card: Asus xonar essence stx, Speaker/headphone:Corsair Sp2500 and Sennheiser hd800

Mouse: Logitech G700s Keyboard: Logitech G710+

Monitor: BenQ XL2420T

I'm currently using Win7 and i am willing to upgrade to 8.1.

PROVIDED THAT IT IS INDEED FREE, AND WITHOUT ADDITIONAL SHIT FOR IT BEING 'FREE'. Don't let me down microsoft.

As someone who has a legit copy of windows 7 but currently using a pirated version of windows 8 this is great!

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

I haven't looked into too many benchmarks, but late last year, I remember seeing some gaming benchmarks on Tom's Hardware that showed basically no difference between Win7 and Win8 in gaming. Has that changed since then?

Yes, i have gotten a boost in frames in almost everygame. (especially bf4). 

And if you have stutter problems, its most likely fixed in win 8.1

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1