Windows 10 Boot extremely slow after trying PopOS!

Go to solution Solved by TheMiniMiney,

Okay so many more google searches later , I found a fix to my problem.

Do an advanced startup , open CMD , then i did

Bootrec /fixMbr

and

chkdsk :C /r

and my problem solved. Never again will I boot into Linux.

But I still don't know the reason why I couldn't run chkdsk on startup , it skipped it every time ??

So I watched the video in which Linus shows how good linux has become for gaming. I got all exited and installed Pop OS to my usb to try it as a live USB. After that every time i boot , it says 'Press any key to stop disk check' , and also the boot time is HORRIBLE. It used to boot in seconds before and now every time it asks me for a disk check and the boot time is very slow. I also allowed it for a disk check , but it does nothing and takes me to the login screen instead. If someone can help me with this it would be great. 

I have a Ryzen 1700 OC 3.8Ghz and 8GB RAM OC 2666Mhz.

Thanks.

deleted.  Misread post

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You sure you didn't install anything, delete anything, hell even mount the Windows drive while the USB was booted?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You sure you didn't install anything, delete anything, hell even mount the Windows drive while the USB was booted?

well , while i was in popOS , i did install steam and blender to do some benchmarks and i did access my hard drive to get some .blend files . will that affect boot times in any way ? I really dont know much when it comes to linux.

Just now, TheMiniMiney said:

well , while i was in popOS , i did install steam and blender to do some benchmarks and i did access my hard drive to get some .blend files . will that affect boot times in any way ? I really dont know much when it comes to linux.

Unplug all but your boot drive (assuming you didn't mess with your boot drive at all) and see if it is still slow.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Unplug all but your boot drive (assuming you didn't mess with your boot drive at all) and see if it is still slow.

sorry if i am a bit annoying ( i am really not good when it comes to these kinds of stuff) but is it safe to unplug the sata cable of my HDD? Many software on my PC auto start from my HDD.

sorry if i am a bit annoying ( i am really not good when it comes to these kinds of stuff) but is it safe to unplug the sata cable of my HDD? Many software on my PC auto start from my HDD.

What is the drive config on your PC like? I am assuming an SSD boot drive and HDD with games and stuff on it, is that correct?

Also only unplug stuff when the PC is shut down.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

What is the drive config on your PC like? I am assuming an SSD boot drive and HDD with games and stuff on it, is that correct?

Also only unplug stuff when the PC is shut down.

Yes you are right.

Yes you are right.

Unplug all drives but your SSD, then try booting the PC.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Unplug all drives but your SSD, then try booting the PC.

Just did that , and the PC booted wayy faster but the disk check problem still persists.

7 minutes ago, TheMiniMiney said:

Just did that , and the PC booted wayy faster but the disk check problem still persists.

Have you let it run the disk check?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Have you let it run the disk check?

yes , it did nothing.

1 minute ago, TheMiniMiney said:

yes , it did nothing.

And it still shows up on every boot? Even after letting it fully run?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

And it still shows up on every boot? Even after letting it fully run?

Yes every boot. and no it doesnt run at all , says disk checking with the loading animation and directly takes to the login screen.

8 minutes ago, TheMiniMiney said:

Yes every boot. and no it doesnt run at all , says disk checking with the loading animation and directly takes to the login screen.

Can you try and run disk checking from within Windows?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Can you try and run disk checking from within Windows?

I ran the check disk by right clicking C drive and then clicking and then check disk , it said drive in use , restart and check , i clicked on it , but this time the 'press any key to skip disk check' came twice. Then it took me to login screen as usual.

3 minutes ago, TheMiniMiney said:

I ran the check disk by right clicking C drive and then clicking and then check disk , it said drive in use , restart and check , i clicked on it , but this time the 'press any key to skip disk check' came twice. Then it took me to login screen as usual.

Ignore it maybe?

Plug in the other drive now and see if the problem is still there. You've deleted the files you created with Linux, right?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Ignore it maybe?

Plug in the other drive now and see if the problem is still there. You've deleted the files you created with Linux, right?

The slowness still persists. And I didn't create any file , just copied some .blend files from HDD to the live usb.

The slowness still persists. And I didn't create any file , just copied some .blend files from HDD to the live usb.

I've had problems with Windows after mounting the drive in Linux. Not sure why it happens, but it does.

At this point, I'd either ignore it or backup your stuff and reinstall.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I've had problems with Windows after mounting the drive in Linux. Not sure why it happens, but it does.

At this point, I'd either ignore it or backup your stuff and reinstall.

The boot time is so very slow to be ignored. I will consider reinstalling very soon. Also by mounting in linux what exactly do you mean? When i was in popOS the HDD and C drive both were present there in the file explorer. Does that mean mounting?

The boot time is so very slow to be ignored. I will consider reinstalling very soon. Also by mounting in linux what exactly do you mean? When i was in popOS the HDD and C drive both were present there in the file explorer. Does that mean mounting?

Being present and being mounted are not the same thing. You likely mounted the drive when you opened it in the file explorer.

Imagine just showing up in the file explorer as seeing books on a shelf and mounting the drives as pulling that book off the shelf and opening it.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Being present and being mounted are not the same thing. You likely mounted the drive when you opened it in the file explorer.

Imagine just showing up in the file explorer as seeing books on a shelf and mounting the drives as pulling that book off the shelf and opening it.

Oh I see , well thanks for spending time on this problem.

I really regret trying linux now.

1 minute ago, TheMiniMiney said:

Oh I see , well thanks for spending time on this problem.

I really regret trying linux now.

It's not Linux's fault. I never have problems when mounting other Linux filesystems/drives on my Arch desktop or whatever. Windows just gets pissy about it for some reason.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

This is probably one of those rare cases where Windows sees something wrong after Linux has accessed it and doesn't know what to do, usually with other drives it will ask you to format it. Linux should still be able to access it however just fine.

Since the Windows Filesystem isn't open-source and is reverse engineered for use on linux, it's possible that the driver is leaving out or adding information to the partition that it shouldn't. As a result Microsoft Windows throws a fit when it sees something is off.

This is why I usually recommend not mounting Windows File-systems in Linux, unless your copying it over to your Linux install with the intention of not using Windows.

I really think this is a detail that gets overlooked or some people are not aware of when recommending Linux to a new user. While the occurrence seems to be rare, it does happen.

I have heard about it more frequently lately however with the rise of proton and people losing access to there steam library from within windows.

If chckdsk doesn't fix it, I would backup your data and reinstall windows.

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

This is probably one of those rare cases where Windows sees something wrong after Linux has accessed it and doesn't know what to do, usually with other drives it will ask you to format it. Linux should still be able to access it however just fine.

Since the Windows Filesystem isn't open-source and is reverse engineered for use on linux, it's possible that the driver is leaving out or adding information to the partition that it shouldn't. As a result Microsoft Windows throws a fit when it sees something is off.

This is why I usually recommend not mounting Windows File-systems in Linux, unless your copying it over to your Linux install with the intention of not using Windows.

I really think this is a detail that gets overlooked or some people are not aware of when recommending Linux to a new user. While the occurrence seems to be rare, it does happen.

I have heard about it more frequently lately however with the rise of proton and people losing access to there steam library from within windows.

If chckdsk doesn't fix it, I would backup your data and reinstall windows.

Oh I see , this is very informative. I will transfer everything from C drive over to my HDD for now. If nothing fixes it then i will do a reinstall. Thank you.