Headphones Suggestions

VorteccBoom

Hello Community, I've been playing competitive games on PC for years and my current headset (HyperX Cloud II) has served me incredibly well over the last 2 years. I am building a new pc so I would like to upgrade to something better. I have read and heard numerous times that I should not buy another "gaming" headset and instead by studio headphones for the sound quality. I agree with these statements but I have no clue what studio headphones to get. My budget is around 350$ so I know there must be plenty of options. I am looking to get a nice pair of wireless headphones but If that is too big of a sacrifice for quality then I am also fine with staying wired. I just tested the Arctis Pro Wireless today and after trying over and over to find the correct settings for the equalizer I decided they still weren't worth the $329.99 for the audio quality that I adjusted it to. Please help me find an absolute banger of a headset that I can use for another 2 years. 😀 ALSO this headset will only be used for gaming and listening to music. That is all. 

Edit: Sorry I accidentally submitted the unfinished post with random keys. This is the full edit of it ^^^^^^^^^^^^. (also wow you guys reply fast). 

the g935 is a pretty nice choice. personal preferance

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

2 minutes ago, VorteccBoom said:

Hello Community, I've been playing competitive games on PC for years and my current headset has served me incredibly well over the last 2 years.''aDA Dwsxcv2sZw

Really going to need more info... Are you looking specifically for "gaming" headsets, which I will define as having a mic built in, possibly RGB, possibly wireless? and generally "not great sound quality" as compared to "audiophile" headphones. Or are you looking for a good pair of headphones for music that you can obviously use for gaming, and possibly add an external mic to.

Also.... budget? Good audiophile headphones can be had for ~200 bucks up to many thousands...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

What is your budget?

Is this only for gaming or for music or movies as well?

What is the ratio between all those different tasks?

What kind of music do you listen to? 

Do you need a mic?

I don't know your budget but I always recommend the DT 770 pro 80ohm with a modmic uni to gamers that should get into the audiphile thing. It is a good pair of headphones with tight bass and the mic is really good compared to the shit mics on those "gaming" headsets. I completely agree with @LIGISTX

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Just now, Tigerleon said:

I don't know your budget but I always recommend the DT 770 pro 80ohm with a modmic uni to gamers that should get into the audiphile thing. It is a good pair of headphones with tight bass and the mic is really good compared to the shit mics on those "gaming" headsets. I completely agree with @LIGISTX

Massdrop 6xx's are also an amazing value. I have a pair of them, and driven correctly they are 100% capable of being end game headphones... I have a Schiit lyr 3 tube amp with their multibit dac option, the 6xx's are incredible and scale so well. I have also used them in a multi-thousand dollar tube amp with a schiit Byfrost 2 Dac, they just keep scaling. Its truly incredible.

That said, I like my Fostex more, but for 200 bucks paired with the "schiit stack", man, thats a value that is hard to beat.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

The DT 770 pro with a modmic is one of the most popular amongst gamers that actually want to get good audio gear. You could also spend maybe 100 euros on an amp/dac combo if you want even better audio quality.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Massdrop 6xx's are also an amazing value

True. Although I recommend the DT 770 pros because they've got a pretty similar sound signature to what gaming headphones offer sometimes. I didn't want to recommend the Sennheiser headphones beacause they are a bit flat sounding but they have a good soundstage tho.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Also getting the Steelseries for 300 dollars is a scam in the audiophile community IMO.

16 minutes ago, VorteccBoom said:

I just tested the Arctis Pro Wireless today and after trying over and over to find the correct settings for the equalizer I decided they still weren't worth the $329.99 for the audio quality that I adjusted it to.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

3 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

True. Although I recommend the DT 770 pros because they've got a pretty similar sound signature to what gaming headphones offer sometimes. I didn't want to recommend the Sennheiser headphones beacause they are a bit flat sounding but they have a good soundstage tho.

They are a bit flat without a good amp. With a nice tube amp and a solid dac, man, they really come alive in an incredible way. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

I have seen many suggestions online and by some friends that this is a great quality headset. And its only 150 ish bucks. I'm fine with spending 300+ dollars on headphones too if you have more expensive suggestions. I don't really know how the headphone market works, does the quality get better with the more you spend?

Just now, VorteccBoom said:

I have seen many suggestions online and by some friends that this is a great quality headset. And its only 150 ish bucks. I'm fine with spending 300+ dollars on headphones too if you have more expensive suggestions. I don't really know how the headphone market works, does the quality get better with the more you spend?

No no no no. Well yes. But actually no. When you get up in the 150-200 dollar mark on headphones you hear a diffrerence between the gaming headsets you've listened to. But it is hard to say there is so much of a difference compared to a 2000 dollar headphone or higher. I don't know because I haven't tried.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

I'd say as my final answer. Get the DT 770 pro 80 ohm with a modmic. Or sennheiser 6XX if you want to spend more on an amp and or a DAC.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Just now, Tigerleon said:

I'd say as my final answer. Get the DT 770 pro 80 ohm with a modmic. Or sennheiser 6XX if you want to spend more on an amp and or a DAC.

Is there anything else I should buy along with the DT 770 pro in order to make it sound better? I am a pretty primitive on knowledge when it comes to audio and headphones.

3 minutes ago, VorteccBoom said:

Is there anything else I should buy along with the DT 770 pro in order to make it sound better? I am a pretty primitive on knowledge when it comes to audio and headphones.

I could recommend a DAC/amp that most likely anyone who knows audio better than me probably hates. The sound blaster G6. I think it will suit you because you got a software packed with pretty much everything you need. An EQ, Virtual surround, better DAC than onboard motherboard audio. It is not the best on the amp side but the DAC is pretty good for the money.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

2 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

I could recommend a DAC/amp that most likely anyone who knows audio better than me probably hates. The sound blaster G6. I think it will suit you because you got a software packed with pretty much everything you need. An EQ, Virtual surround, better DAC than onboard motherboard audio. It is not the best on the amp side but the DAC is pretty good for the money.

Thank you for your recommendations, the last thing I'm wondering is what are the cons to that DAC that someone who knows audio would hate? Is it something I should consider or nah?

1 minute ago, VorteccBoom said:

Thank you for your recommendations, the last thing I'm wondering is what are the cons to that DAC that someone who knows audio would hate? Is it something I should consider or nah?

Since it is mostly marketed towards gamers. Although I like soundblasters products. Me myself I have the SB AE-9 which costs around 300 dollars +

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit