Cablemod C-Series Black Label and Yellow Label Power Supply Cable Questions

hangsty

I just bought a Corsair RM850X and want to get Cablemod White/Red sleeved cables or any that would work, and It says the cables are not compatible, but according to this ( https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility?utm_source=Future%20PLC._221109&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=490888_Online%20Tracking%20Link&utm_content=Content&clickid=UncSG7TKOxyOUpiwUx0Mo3cjUkiUQDRcE0%3A3Rw0&irgwc=1 ) they have the same connections, and an employee at Micro Center said the only difference is one part in the psu is made in Japan and one is made in China, so they should be able to work with no problems, is that true?

Is your PSU a newer black label? Or yellow?

If you have a black label PSU, ensure your kit says "Cable Kit for Corsair RMi/RMX/RM (Black Label)" on it. If it's yellow label, ensure it says yellow. They're different kits for different PSUs.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Cablemod has two Corsair-compatible series, both are called the C-series. One series is for Corsair type 3, the other is for Corsair type 4. The difference in terms of pinout is that the kit for type 4 PSUs has 4 extra pins on the 24 pin connector for Vsense wires (though you could shove the type 3 24 pin into the type 4 24 pin on the PSU side, and just ignore the clip. The pinout is the same for the 24 pins that are there. Jonnyguru has an image of this)

:)

27 minutes ago, Statik said:

Is your PSU a newer black label? Or yellow?

If you have a black label PSU, ensure your kit says "Cable Kit for Corsair RMi/RMX/RM (Black Label)" on it. If it's yellow label, ensure it says yellow. They're different kits for different PSUs.

It is a black label and i cant find any white and red sleeved cables for it unfortunately but i can find it for the yellow label, and micro center employees said it should be fine but I wanted to research first

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Cablemod has two Corsair-compatible series, both are called the C-series. One series is for Corsair type 3, the other is for Corsair type 4. The difference in terms of pinout is that the kit for type 4 PSUs has 4 extra pins on the 24 pin connector for Vsense wires (though you could shove the type 3 24 pin into the type 4 24 pin on the PSU side, and just ignore the clip. The pinout is the same for the 24 pins that are there. Jonnyguru has an image of this)

really that is good to know, so youre saying i can get a different 24 pin and it should be fine?

59 minutes ago, hangsty said:

one part in the psu is made in Japan and one is made in China

LOLOLOL!!! What?!?!

RMx PSU use "type 4" cables.

The old RM (no X) and the HXi use "Type 3" cables.

1 minute ago, hangsty said:

really that is good to know, so youre saying i can get a different 24 pin and it should be fine?

You shouldn't need a different 24-pin for an RMx if you're buying a current cable set from Microcenter.

Do you have a link to the actual cable kit you're planning on buying?

4 minutes ago, hangsty said:

It is a black label and i cant find any white and red sleeved cables for it unfortunately but i can find it for the yellow label, and micro center employees said it should be fine but I wanted to research first

As far as I'm concerned, and when I did my research buying my Cablemod, they're indeed different, and I think Mr. Microcenter is giving you false information. I don't know how often @CableMod frequents the forums, but hopefully they're able to chime in here with a little clarity.

In the mean time I absolutely wouldn't buy anything until you get a 100% answer. Cablemod is expensive, and not worth damaging any components over.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

4 minutes ago, Statik said:

As far as I'm concerned, and when I did my research buying my Cablemod, they're indeed different, and I think Mr. Microcenter is giving you false information. I don't know how often @CableMod frequents the forums, but hopefully they're able to chime in here with a little clarity.

In the mean time I absolutely wouldn't buy anything until you get a 100% answer. Cablemod is expensive, and not worth damaging any components over.

Thank you this is the answer i was looking for, appreciate the response!

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

LOLOLOL!!! What?!?!

RMx PSU use "type 4" cables.

The old RM (no X) and the HXi use "Type 3" cables.

You shouldn't need a different 24-pin for an RMx if you're buying a current cable set from Microcenter.

Do you have a link to the actual cable kit you're planning on buying?

thanks yeah i was looking everywhere for black label cables and none are available and apparently wont work, (https://www.amazon.com/CableMod-Classic-ModMesh-Cable-Corsair/dp/B07HMD8PH7)

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you have an RM850x, these will work.

I know but they're unavailable everywhere, just wondering if they were interchangeable but i know now they're not

You are wanting all black or black and red?

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

You are wanting all black or black and red?

White and Red is what im going for im doing a white and red accent build

2 minutes ago, hangsty said:

White and Red is what im going for im doing a white and red accent build

Yeah.  That's not a very popular color combo.  That's why Corsair doesn't make it and CableMod doesn't make it in their PRO kit.

CableMod had them in the classic kit, but you can't even buy it directly from them anymore.

@CableMod:  What's up with the red/white cable sets?  EOL?

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  That's not a very popular color combo.  That's why Corsair doesn't make it and CableMod doesn't make it in their PRO kit.

CableMod had them in the classic kit, but you can't even buy it directly from them anymore.

@CableMod:  What's up with the red/white cable sets?  EOL?

RIP i think it looks so classy