GPU/System stress testing?

Aragorn-

I've built up a PC out of some old bits to sell, its not the fastest thing in the world but it should make a half decent budget/entry gaming PC with a Xeon 1220v1 and a RX470.

I'd like to stress test everything a bit, not entirely convinced the PSU is up to the job. 

Looking for some pointers of things to try on it? I've downloaded Unigine Superposition as a starting point as well as 3dmark.

Should i look at the likes of Furmark?

I was also looking for some game benchmarks to try. Stuff like Fortnite is popular on this sort of machine but it dosent seem to have any benchmarking options from what i can see? A couple games to try to get a feel for how it performs would be nice.

Cheers

for cpu 

try c15 

prime 95 

gpu 

furmark 

fire strike 

for memory 

memtest 86 and occt 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

UserBench is the best free bench marking software ; )

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

35 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

UserBench is the best free bench marking software ; )

I hope thats sarcasm :P

Plus, i want to ensure stability first off. A score is nice too, but a quick thrash thru a game bench wont convince me that the machine is stable.

47 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

for cpu 

try c15 

prime 95 

gpu 

furmark 

fire strike 

for memory 

memtest 86 and occt 

whats "try C15"?

Well used to using Prime and OCCT actually, I guess i could run Prime and Furmark at the same time to really stress the PSU.

3 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

C15

Cinebench r15

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Cinebench r15

Ah right. I tend to use r20.

Got it running Superposition just now. Not sure its normal, but the GPU's pegged at 90c thru most of the run... Even my Vega 56 doesnt get that hot :/

4 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

but the GPU's pegged at 90c thru most of the run... Even my Vega 56 doesnt get that hot

Under normal load It won't get that hot 

That's why it's called a stress test 

Not a normal task for the GPU to face everyday

Build Log: 

Yeah but this cant be normal.

Its an RX470 MSI Gaming X with a massive cooler. HWMonitor shows it drawing a piddly 105W during a benchmark run, yet the fans ramp all the way up to 2500rpm and sit there maxxed, and the temp keeps climbing until it gets to 90c where i suspect it starts throttling. Tried 3dmark, but the benchmark runs are too short to max out the temps.

Yep defo throttling, and with Furmark we managed 130w, temps shot up to 90 and then crept up to 92-93ish then the machine just turned off.

The GPU came from ebay, so i guess its possible it has issues, but i guess as a starting point i'll pull the cooler off and repaste the GPU?

Okay!

Pulled the cooler off, noting the warranty screw had already been broken

Standard looking thermal paste on the GPU looked fairly poor.

Cleaned it all off, noticed that theres some weird marks on the cooler itself and the die (i will upload pics)

Re-pasted with Arctic MX2 (no idea if this is good, its just what i had on the shelf)

Put it back together, and its now running Furmark, fans circa 70%-1800rpm, GPU temp holding steady at 72c 

I dont know if the previous owners been messing with the card or what. It came from eBay. Was giving a Code43 error out of the box. I reflashed the bios with a stock bios from TechPowerUp and the code43 went away. Then once using it it was smokin hot. Defo need to give some poor feedback, but currently the card seems happy enough. More testing required before i'm happy to sell it onto someone though.

Both of these pics taken after a really good clean with IPA on a cotton bud.

IMG_20200701_223146.jpg

IMG_20200701_223209.jpg

12 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

I dont know if the previous owners been messing with the card or what. It came from eBay. Was giving a Code43 error out of the box. I reflashed the bios with a stock bios from TechPowerUp and the code43 went away.

My guess would be the "messing" would have been mining given the state of the card and likely you replaced a mining vbios with the original again. That die and coldplate ook like someones been baking cakes of multiple sets of paste (might just be the light/angle if the pics though).

yeah, but having mined myself, the bios mods are usually used to imrpove power consumption and memory timings. My mining cards never broke 60c, so the roasted paste seems weird, and whatever it was, it wasnt coming off no matter how hard i scrubbed at it. Almost felt like corrosion.

Additionally, who sells a mining card, with a modified bios, on ebay without telling the buyer? Thats just asking for an immediate return! If i didnt have a little bit of experience with this and got a code43 GPU it'd likely have just got sent right back.

Well a new day! Stress tested it with prime and Furmark for 15mins. All seemed fine, temps were stable in the 80's for the CPU and 70's for GPU with the case closed. PSU smelt a bit whiffy but didnt explode so we'll call that good 😆

Tried out the Shadow of Tombraider Demo. 1080p High benchmark managed 52fps. Not bad for a fairly old quad core i guess! Tried the demo itself and it was playing a little oddly in the "FMV" sections at the start, but actual gameplay seemed fine.

Will try some other games later. I fancied giving GTA V a try, but its such an enormous download. Maybe i can transfer the files from my other PC?