Clone HDD to SSD

Robinxn

Hi, I have just built a new computer. However, I brought my hdd to my new computer. In my new computer, I installed a smaller nvme disk to have my adobe programs and windows 10 on, the ssd has 256 gb of space and the hdd has 1 tb of which 88 gb is used. Since I have a lot of programs (not just adobe), I'd rather clone the hdd to ssd and then delete everything from the hdd so I can have games and other files there.

I used "Macrium Reflect" to make the clone, then I restarted the computer and then windows booted from the hdd. Then I removed the hdd to boot windows from the ssd. When I booted from the ssd, the screen turned black after the windows had loaded and I could see my cursor as I moved it. I got the same result when I changed the boot order in bios.

Does anyone know how to get all my programs and "Windows" cloned to the new ssd, I'd rather avoid downloading all the programs again.

Thanks in advance:-)

Macrium Reflect is very good, but I recommend to create Rescue USB (from Macrium Reflect menu), boot from USB and then clone offline system. Cloning system while working uses VSS service which I don't really trust. I had some problems years ago with that type of cloning.

Then boot using ONLY SSD first, plug your old drive when PC is powered on (so your new installation assign proper letters when your new system is already running - plug power first and SATA cable after) and that's all. BTW. before you ask - SATA is hotplug by design, so it's safe. Additional options in BIOS just change recognition method (removable device). They are needed if you want to use hotplug all the time using internal enclosure (for example).