Recommended VR headset

UpTheDons

Not sure where to post his so went here. I am looking at getting into VR and have it running of my PC. (I wanna play beatsaber and various other titles) but I was wondering what people would recommend for a good immersive experience but not having spending loads of money, I was looking at the Rift and Rift S but im still unsure weather its worth putting the money in and will it keep me interested with new games on steam and so on? Thanks for any input.

( i have a rx570 and 2700- rest of my specs are on my profile)

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

If you're thinking of getting into high-level beat saber gameplay I'd recommend the Rift with 2 cameras as it has slightly better tracking. For everything else, get the Rift S.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

If you're thinking of getting into high-level beat saber gameplay I'd recommend the Rift with 2 cameras as it has slightly better tracking. For everything else, get the Rift S.

yeah i was thinking getting into a bit of beat saber and after watching Linus with it its clearly something that needs good tracking. Tbh i just wanna try it out but i wouldn't say high level for now. 

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Not sure if the RX 570 is up to VR performance. if your FPS in VR drop consistently you'll get motion sick very quickly.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Not sure if the RX 570 is up to VR performance. if your FPS in VR drop consistently you'll get motion sick very quickly.

it does support it and i have read its a fairly decent experience. Am looking at upgrading to a 5700 or 5600xt very soon.

7 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

it does support it and i have read its a fairly decent experience. Am looking at upgrading to a 5700 or 5600xt very soon.

I can tell you first hand that a RX 570 can play VR titles (if you keep your expectations in check) I had a gigabyte RX 570 which I overclocked to 1380mhz. I played robo recall, star trek bridge crew, superhot, brass tactics, quill and it was able to maintain the 90 fps frame rate. However, you DO need to dial back the settings which means most games will have to be played on low-medium settings. It does tend to struggle with titles like elite dangerous, but I've read GTX 1080's can have a hard time. I've since upgraded to a xfx rx 5700 and it has little problems with just about any vr title on high settings.

6 minutes ago, steelo said:

I can tell you first hand that a RX 570 can play VR titles (if you keep your expectations in check) I played robo recall, star trek bridge crew, superhot, brass tactics, quill and it was able to maintain the 90 fps frame rate. However, you DO need to dial back the settings which means most games will have to be played on low-medium settings. It does tend to struggle with titles like elite dangerous, but I've read GTX 1080's can have a hard time.

cool. I just wanna get a acceptable experience for now until i upgrade the GPU.

3 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

cool. I just wanna get a acceptable experience for now until i upgrade the GPU.

Yeah, I think you'll be fine. Most games will automatically set the graphics settings dependent on your GPU.

Yeah, I think you'll be fine. Most games will automatically set the graphics settings dependent on your GPU.

Would you say its a worthwhile investment? Just wanna make sure because at 400 for a headset i dont wanna waste my money.

5 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

Would you say its a worthwhile investment? Just wanna make sure because at 400 for a headset i dont wanna waste my money.

Do you have any experience with VR? I love VR games, so for me it was worth it. However, my wife can't play them without getting sick. If at all possible, I'd try it out first (whether it be at the store or a friends house)

When I had my 570, I also had a much weaker CPU than you're using (R5 2400g) I've upgraded to a R5 1600 AF since I got this new GPU and have had no issues.

2 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

Nobody can know what you like or not... Try with someone who's already equipped if you can, otherwise if you end up not liking you can always sell the headset anyway.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 minutes ago, steelo said:

Do you have any experience with VR? I love VR games, so for me it was worth it. However, my wife can't play them without getting sick. If at all possible, I'd try it out first (whether it be at the store or a friends house)

When I had my 570, I also had a much weaker CPU than you're using (R5 2400g) I've upgraded to a R5 1600 AF since I got this new GPU and have had no issues.

I have used the GO at my friends and loved it. Just wondering if the game selection is worth it right now.

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Nobody can know what you like or not... Try with someone who's already equipped if you can, otherwise if you end up not liking you can always sell the headset anyway.

yeah fair point. Im gonna look at a trial if i can.

7 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

I have used the GO at my friends and loved it. Just wondering if the game selection is worth it right now.

What type of games do you like? I have a pretty wide collection from star trek to fps to dr who. The games do tend to be shorter and not quite as seamless as 'flat' games. Multiplayer games in VR (like star trek bridge crew) are my absolute favorite as there really is nothing like it...you literally feel like you're sitting next to the person you're talking to and it's hilarious at times. It's awesome. If you're into sci fi, they're releasing a star wars game for vr in a few months...I believe it is multiplayer where you fly as a squadron.

What type of games do you like? I have a pretty wide collection from star trek to fps games. The games do tend to be shorter and not quite as seamless as 'flat' games. Multiplayer games in VR (like star trek bridge crew) are my favorite as there really is nothing like it...you literally feel like you're sitting next to the person you're talking to and it's hilarious at times.

Just beat saber for now. Really wanna look at some FPS and stuff like that. Tbh looking at all the games on steam and stuff and how cheap most of them are i dont think ill get that bored but just want reassurance i guess.

5 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

Just beat saber for now. Really wanna look at some FPS and stuff like that. Tbh looking at all the games on steam and stuff and how cheap most of them are i dont think ill get that bored but just want reassurance i guess.

I forgot beat saber...that game is a blast! Yeah, I think generally vr games are cheaper than regular games...there's a ton on steam you'd probably find interest in. 

The Rift S is great. If you've played with a first gen Vive then you're going to be blown away at how clear the screens are. 

• Higher Resolution(no screen door)
  • Portability
  • Easy to set up

Oculus Quest > Rift S. 

The quest can be used 100% wirelessly as it's own unit, or connected to pc using oculus link and because like any other desktop VR headset. 

Source : I own a quest and regularly use link

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

Oculus Quest > Rift S. 

The quest can be used 100% wirelessly as it's own unit, or connected to pc using oculus link and because like any other desktop VR headset. 

Source : I own a quest and regularly use link

Ok. Im probably only gonna be using it on the PC and occasionally taking it around. Would you say if PC based gaming is the only thing im going to be doing is it worth it? They are the same price here and after watching Linus and other people reviewing it the Link was a mixed bag of results. Tbh i just wanna be able to use steam VR and have good enough tracking. (also does a link cable come with the quest)

Better than Link is wireless operation with Virtual Desktop. Having no wires is great and the Quest is the only option that doesn't cost a fortune. 

Also since it has inside out tracking you can play games in massive areas if you've got access to some. I've carried my PC to a big hall a couple of times and played VR games with the comfort of no wires and "unlimited" area where you aren't constantly worrying about getting close to the edge of your roomscale zone, which removes one of the main annoyances with VR.

Also once you've got a standalone headset you find out you can actually use it for other stuff - I regularly just use my Quest to watch youtube in bed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Better than Link is wireless operation with Virtual Desktop. Having no wires is great and the Quest is the only option that doesn't cost a fortune. 

Also since it has inside out tracking you can play games in massive areas if you've got access to some. I've carried my PC to a big hall a couple of times and played VR games with the comfort of no wires and "unlimited" area where you aren't constantly worrying about getting close to the edge of your roomscale zone, which removes one of the main annoyances with VR.

Also once you've got a standalone headset you find out you can actually use it for other stuff - I regularly just use my Quest to watch youtube in bed.

Alright i think im going to go with the quest then since i do see the whole cable thing as really tedious and since its the same price here as the riift s its clearly the better option. Is the wireless option a good experience? just asking cuz in the ltt vid there were blacks appearing on the screen cuz it could not catch up.

thanks

There are 3 wireless solutions that I know of, ALVR, VRidge and VRDesktop, the first 2 are unusable and if I remember well that's one of those that they tried. VRDesktop has however been flawless for me, and you can check the reviews...

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

There are 3 wireless solutions that I know of, ALVR, VRidge and VRDesktop, the first 2 are unusable and if I remember well that's one of those that they tried. VRDesktop has however been flawless for me, and you can check the reviews...

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

cool ill check it out. Tbh the more and more i read about it the quest is clearly gonna be better. It looks like its actually getting attention from Facebook which is good.

Is there a reason why no one ever talks about the HP Reverb? I decided to get one for iRacing because it had the best resolution ( at the time ) and it's honestly amazing... I'm just worried I'm missing something the others offer that the Reverb doesn't?