dangerous power plug bundled with new product

Nagby

Hello, a week ago I received a 3D printer from banggood.

But not only did it came with severe damages on the chassis even if the box had thick dense foam.

I also noticed that the EU power cord could be pretty dangerous as the live wire is sticking out of the plug moulding, and it's isolation started to get scratched away.

IMG_20200618_185334.thumb.jpg.63901644c202b55f6d12b7a94f2cb8d1.jpg

I contacted the customer service, but they only offered a 10% refund of the full price, and pretty much copy the same message when I reply to them.

My question is : is there an organisation to contact for these kind of problems? as there are probably multiple products being sold with this hazardous defect.

Thank you for your help.

According to their website you have several options (listed in the customer support section), but all the "Learn More" links there are dead. At least on paper, you have 7 days DOA guarantee, 30 days return without having to give a reason, 180 days quality guarantee ("for most items") etc.
I would contact them again, saying that the product is a safety hazard in the state it was shipped in and that you want a refund and that you will return the product.

Should they become/remain uncooperative, you can contact the payment provider used during the purchase (e.g. PayPal). They might offer assistance with getting your money back if you file a dispute.

thanks for your reply

I'm not necessarly looking for a return as I have other power cords for it.

I was mostly looking for reporting the safety hazard to avoid other people having the same problem, not noticing the defect, and possibly get killed while unplugging the cord.

Paypal could sort this part out? (I did pay via Paypal).

No. There is no place you can report international trade products to be unsafe. 

So i'm only left with pointing out this issue in forums on the topic?

Just now, Nagby said:

So i'm only left with pointing out this issue in forums on the topic?

Pretty much, yes.

There isn't really any organisational body that can help you make a complaint on this when it comes to international goods (even more so if they come from china, QA isn't really big there, unless it's from a big company that has a brand to protect). The most you can do is leave a review of your experience and either get all of your money back by returning it or just accept the pittance that is 10%.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 hours ago, Nagby said:

Paypal could sort this part out? (I did pay via Paypal).

PayPal will almost definitely side with you in a case like this where goods are clearly dangerous. But half the shit sold on BangGood is bottom of the pile tat that's somewhere between mildly dangerous and outright lethal so I doubt you'd get much traction complaining to them. Better just to never use their platform again.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

10 hours ago, HM-2 said:

sudeceuty

I don't know that word :s

48 minutes ago, Nagby said:

It was suppose to say "side with", not sure how I mangled it that badly!

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

52 minutes ago, Nagby said:

get very lightly electrocuted, file a lawsuit, get money.

IM JOKING DONT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY PLEASE

😕

Well now after I replied to them that I will report the issue, they accept a 1/3 refund... (which I asked for, mostly to make it a significant loss for them more than a win for me)

I will still make this a known issue on forums and contact influencers on the topic of 3d printing.

29 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

eh, there's no exposed copper so there's no electrocution risk as it is there - only the insulation is poking through, it's a badly moulded plug that some poor sod getting paid minimum wage to inspect plugs on a factory line all day missed. it happens.

You can see the brown wire (which usually is the live wire in Europe) and its insulation is damaged as well. That is a safety risk, there are standards covering the minimum amount of insulation for such wires.

but it's a very visible flaw, and I think most people seeing a speck of color on the plug would first try to scratch it off