How do I protect against static when building my new PC?

I know there are products to ground yourself. But I don’t want to spend extra money on something I’m just going to use once. Are there any other ways I can be safe without needing to be grounded? (Good general practices, type of flooring?, clothing? Etc)

thanks

Plug your PSU into a power outlet and have the switch in the off position. 

Touch the PSU casing (or the case, if you've installed the PSU in the case) any time you move your feet, or before you touch any components to ground yourself. 

The chance of killing hardware due to static discharge is pretty low. Just ground yourself every now and then and you'll be fine. Touch a metal object every now and then and don't wear a wooly jumper while dragging your socks back and forth along the carpet and you should be fine. The case on the power supply is grounded so if the PSU is plugged in to a grounded wall outlet you can just touch the case of the PSU to ground yourself.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Avoid twitching your butt if you're sitting on carpet to avoid static build up.

Also, what @Spotty said is spot on.

Ideally, build on a clean flat surface that isn't prone to electrical discharge, ground yourself by touching some bare metal that's grounded somewhere to discharge what you might have in your body...don't hold on to a Van de Graff generator while building, you should be fine.