Replacement PSU for XP computer

RHarrison
I need to replace the PSU for an old XP computer, will a new PSU work with it or should I be looking for something specific?

Also, the PSU (Bestec ATX-300-12E) that was in it only has a 20 pin connector but the motherboard (MSI RS480M) has a 24 pin plug.

New will be fine, but I would suggest you try to find a local recycler or buy used.

GL

Chris

The motherboard uses ATX so you could buy an ATX power supply (just a normal power supply) which would work with the system, but unless you're doing a retro system for fun it probably isn't worth the cost of a PSU to repair such an old system. Instead I would just spend the money to buy an old dell or HP office PC from within the last 10 years.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You should be able to use any ATX power supply.

The only thing you would have to be concerned about with old computers is they power the processor with 5v instead of 12v like modern computers do. Your motherboard has a 4 pin CPU power connector which gives 12v to the motherboard, so this is not a concern.

Older motherboards without that connector use 5v from the 20-24 pin connector to power the processor, and that can be a problem with modern power supplies because modern power supplies don't output a lot of watts on 5v and 3.3v (because most power hungry devices in modern computers, like cpu and video card, take power from 12v and convert it down to the voltages they need).

Avoid the absolute cheapest power supply models, and get something with good reviews, it doesn't have to be something fancy, as your old computer worked just fine with a 300 watts power supply.

If you're in US, the cheapest I would be comfortable recommending is these :

SeaSonic SS-400ET Bronze 400W ATX12V V2.2/EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

EVGA 400 W ATX Power Supply (100-N1-0400-L1) - PCPartPicker

Thermaltake Smart Series 430W Continuous Power ATX 12V V2.3 80 PLUS Certified 5 Year Warranty Active PFC Power Supply Haswell Ready PS-SPD-0430NPCWUS-W

hec HEC-450TC-3WX 450W Power Supply - Newegg.com

Thank you all for your replies!

@ INurHome

I'll have to look around. I'm in a small town and something of a geographical oddity in that we're about an hours drive from anywhere bigger than podunk. 

@ Spotty

Unfortunately, replacing the system currently isn't an option. It's my mother's computer and it has some software on it she uses to run her embroidery machine, we've tried it with every OS since XP and the compatibility modes those OS's provide but none of them work the software properly, which is why I'm pulling at string to keep this one afloat. The only thing I've not looked too hard at yet is VM's, but once the computer does finally just give out, I'll probably have to do that. Or buy a older machine from somewhere.

@ mariushm

I appreciate the in-depth information, I've built a half-dozen computers but never really bothered to look into the interaction between the PSU and the rest of the components.

I am in the US and those are actually some of the PSU's I was considering before deciding I needed more information on what what to choose.