External SSD reading and writing speeds

Hey guys I got a problem, hope you can help me:

I recently purchased an Asus Rog Strix Arion with a WD Blue 1TB, SSD card. Together, it is an external SSD Card.

The Specs:

Asus Rog Strix: supports 1.2 GB/s tranfers

USB-C thunderbolt cable (good quality --> supports reading and writing speeds of the device)

WD Blue SSD: reading around 2.8GB, writing 2.4GB

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 920-ikb13, with 2 USB-C thunderbolt ports

So now that i got all of the superfast transfer stuff the data I transfer (mostly pictures and Movie files) are still only transferring at 10-20 MB/S (200 MB/S at most) and when i test the reading and writing speed of the external via USBDeview, I tells me that reading speeds are: 642.86  MB/Sec and writing speeds are: 320.28  MB/Sec

now i already discovered some possible causes:

1. It could be that my USBC drivers aren't updated to thunderbolt - thats why I downloaded the thunderbolt update for USBC ports for exactly my laptop from the lenovo support page, though when i try to install it over devicemgmnt  --> Universal serial bus controllers --> usb root hub (3.0) --> update device manually --> choose the folder where the newly downloaded port software is located it tells me that windows already has the newest version for that device 

why? did it do smth wrong here?

2. the second problem is, how can my external ssd only run on the upper mentioned tested speeds, when its actually supposed to go twice as fast? Is this due to the usb root hub version or is that on the ssd itself?

what do you guys suggest in general? What should be my next steps? I really want this ssd to run on at least 1GB/sec (not even bc i need it as much, but bc i paid for it)

thanks so much in advance for reading through this crap and helping!!

4 minutes ago, ew1 said:

usb root hub

Limiting factor

Also USB-c doesn't always mean thunderbolt

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

what do you mean by limiting factor?

I know that it doesn't but my USB-C ports are thunderbolts as they have that thunder sign next to it

what wd m.2 model of drive did you buy, there are a few models of blue m.2 drives

What crystal disk mart speeds do you get?

Thundebolt work matter, thats a usb drive enclosure.

m.2 nvme (1.3) PCI3 3.0 x4

crystal disk mart speed in MB/sec: seq1, q8,t1: 1040 read, 1017 write

sq1m, q1 t1: 516.16 read, 617 write

q32, t16: 128 read, 133 write 

btw. what do the differences in those qs and threads mean?