1660 super or 2060 for 10 year old pc

Sealance

So, I have a 1440p monitor and a pc that's 10+ years old now (LGA1366 xeon w3680, 48gb ddr3, gtx970).

Since the 3-series cards are coming, and needing a complete overhaul anyway I was looking at the 1660 super or the 2060 (which is about 100€ more) and then maybe use it in my streaming pc.

speccy.png

1660 super would probably the same amount as the 2060 as the CPU would probably be the bottleneck, I would recommend more of a 1650 super.

If the 2060 is €100 more then definitely the 1660 Super.

Keep in mind the fact that you probably won't see that massive on an improvement from the GTX 970 with that CPU, and if you build a new PC with one of Nvidia's Ampere cards, those will probably feature at least just as good of a version of NVENC as the 1660S (and other Turing GPUs), so you might not even need a dedicated streaming rig at that point.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

I would recommend more of a 1650 super.

I would recommend nothing really :P

the cpu will limit everything and just moving to a different platform will be better ( if possible )

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

the cpu will limit everything and just moving to a different platform will be better ( if possible )

although for streaming using the GPU the CPU will make very little difference.

1 minute ago, Tom_nerd said:

will make very little difference.

Yea I guess 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

can i ask to??

my pc dell vostro 260 with i5 2400, i wanna up my vga from gt420 to gtx1050/ti. butt price gtx1050/ti in my place almost same with gtx1650 and maybe with gtx1650super

wich one recomenden i choose?

4 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

If the 2060 is €100 more then definitely the 1660 Super.

Keep in mind the fact that you probably won't see that massive on an improvement from the GTX 970 with that CPU, and if you build a new PC with one of Nvidia's Ampere cards, those will probably feature at least just as good of a version of NVENC as the 1660S (and other Turing GPUs), so you might not even need a dedicated streaming rig at that point.

Well, I already have a dedicated streaming pc with a 4770k. I'm forced to use a second instance of obs on my gaming pc since the capture card is only 1080 and my monitor is 1440. The LGA1366 setup was meant to be replaced earlier but didn't get around to doing it. I know the cpu will be the limiting factor. Another issue is that my monitor requires Dual-link DVI and I need an active dp to dvi converter also :/

4 hours ago, nonem91 said:

can i ask to??

my pc dell vostro 260 with i5 2400, i wanna up my vga from gt420 to gtx1050/ti. butt price gtx1050/ti in my place almost same with gtx1650 and maybe with gtx1650super

wich one recomenden i choose?

That seems like a rather compact machine.. if the 1650 or super is the same price as the 1050 then i'd go for that. But as with my pc, it's an old machine. Going from a gt420 to anything newer will see a big improvement, but not as much as if it was a modern cpu

8 hours ago, Sealance said:

Well, I already have a dedicated streaming pc with a 4770k. I'm forced to use a second instance of obs on my gaming pc since the capture card is only 1080 and my monitor is 1440. The LGA1366 setup was meant to be replaced earlier but didn't get around to doing it. I know the cpu will be the limiting factor. Another issue is that my monitor requires Dual-link DVI and I need an active dp to dvi converter also :/

That seems like a rather compact machine.. if the 1650 or super is the same price as the 1050 then i'd go for that. But as with my pc, it's an old machine. Going from a gt420 to anything newer will see a big improvement, but not as much as if it was a modern cpu

what a bout bottleneck sir? my cpu i5-2400, ram 4gbX2

and its ok? be quiet! SYSTEM POWER U9 400W - 80+ Bronze

5 hours ago, nonem91 said:

what a bout bottleneck sir? my cpu i5-2400, ram 4gbX2

and its ok? be quiet! SYSTEM POWER U9 400W - 80+ Bronze

Definately a bottleneck